BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
650i2014
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

Bad Fuel - SW Update?

So my BMW dealer called me to bring in the car for software update.

Apparently the n63tu engine does not like the fuel over here even though I always fill the car up with premium fuel (98 RON, equivalent to 94 PON in the U.S). According to the service adviser, there are already many cases of engine break downs on the new x5 and the X6, and BMW is blaming bad fuel.

So when I asked the service adviser what the software update was for, to my surprise he said the update has to do with having the engine deal with bad fuel quality..!! Now I'm not sure how this is even possible, I'm curious if any of you has come across or heard of a similar case.

Car: 650i coupe 2014
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650i2014
So my BMW dealer called me to bring in the car for software update.

Apparently the n63tu engine does not like the fuel over here even though I always fill the car up with premium fuel (98 RON, equivalent to 94 PON in the U.S). According to the service adviser, there are already many cases of engine break downs on the new x5 and the X6, and BMW is blaming bad fuel.

So when I asked the service adviser what the software update was for, to my surprise he said the update has to do with having the engine deal with bad fuel quality..!! Now I'm not sure how this is even possible, I'm curious if any of you has come across or heard of a similar case.

Car: 650i coupe 2014
Gosh AGMC Suck! Those engines broke down probably due to their Crappy Services...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

In the US, we have similar problems.**They put ethanol in our fuel.**Up to 10%.

Well, the ethanol used to be added at the refinery.**This means the ethanol was mixed under computer control.

But, in some states, they changed the law that Fuel Distribution Centers (FDC) may purchase and add ethanol from different sources.

This means a fuel truck will fill up its various grade compartments 90% with gas on the delivery truck.**Then, the FDC owner/operator will drive over to another refinery to pick up just the ethanol (or possibly vice versa).

This allows the FDC to shop the best price for gas and ethanol separately.**

The problem:**When the FDC goes to get the ethanol (or the gas) they rely on the concept of "splash blending" to mix the two up.**If the first gas station on the driver's route is near the refinery, then not much "splash blending" took place.**And you can end up with wildly inconsistent amount of ethanol per gallon of fuel.**Testing found that splash blending can lead to 50% or more ethanol per gallon.**

Well, of course, you also have the possibility of having less than 1% ethanol per gallon too.**Nevertheless, splash blending is like playing roulette with your engine.**Why?**Because, 55% ethanol will destroy your HPFP.**

Not sure if you have similar issues in Dubai.**
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
650i2014
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
In the US, we have similar problems.**They put ethanol in our fuel.**Up to 10%.

Well, the ethanol used to be added at the refinery.**This means the ethanol was mixed under computer control.

But, in some states, they changed the law that Fuel Distribution Centers (FDC) may purchase and add ethanol from different sources.

This means a fuel truck will fill up its various grade compartments 90% with gas on the delivery truck.**Then, the FDC owner/operator will drive over to another refinery to pick up just the ethanol (or possibly vice versa).

This allows the FDC to shop the best price for gas and ethanol separately.**

The problem:**When the FDC goes to get the ethanol (or the gas) they rely on the concept of "splash blending" to mix the two up.**If the first gas station on the driver's route is near the refinery, then not much "splash blending" took place.**And you can end up with wildly inconsistent amount of ethanol per gallon of fuel.**Testing found that splash blending can lead to 50% or more ethanol per gallon.**

Well, of course, you also have the possibility of having less than 1% ethanol per gallon too.**Nevertheless, splash blending is like playing roulette with your engine.**Why?**Because, 55% ethanol will destroy your HPFP.**

Not sure if you have similar issues in Dubai.**
That's interesting, I'm not sure if the situation is similar in Dubai though. However, I'm very curious to know how BMW is making the engine adapt to bad fuel quality through software update
Appreciate 0