BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Considering PreOwned 2012 650i. Thoughts?

I've been considering going back to BMW and have been looking through the used selections. I've seen quite a few peak my interest (including a 2013 750i for 22k). I've found a 2012 650i priced for 23,999(57k miles, cold weather, m sport package, upgraded sound system, navigation, etc).

A few questions?

Do they hold up well? Typical german car, I'm sure it will have issues. Just worried about that

Pricing? What is a good price to seek out?

Any other considerations?

I currently have a beautiful, much loved Honda Civic Type R, but would like to 'downgrade' to a cheaper payment overall, while perhaps gaining some luxuries. I'd also possibly like a DCT or automatic for my wife to drive.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7870/overview/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

The biggest issue is the engine This year will have the N63 engine. You want the N63TU engine which fixed most of the issues. While even the newer version has issues like burning oil and possibly bad injectors, most say the earlier engine is one to stay away from, but the newer TU is fine.

An issue with any high end car always has the possibility of bank breaking repairs. Engine and transmissions replacements are unlikely, but do happen. Some of these major repairs can cost close to what base Civics start at.

They're great other than that. Lots of power and torque, and receive tuning well. The 6 isn't as flashy as some cars like a 911, but to most of us that's a benefit and not a negative.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
The biggest issue is the engine This year will have the N63 engine. You want the N63TU engine which fixed most of the issues. While even the newer version has issues like burning oil and possibly bad injectors, most say the earlier engine is one to stay away from, but the newer TU is fine.

An issue with any high end car always has the possibility of bank breaking repairs. Engine and transmissions replacements are unlikely, but do happen. Some of these major repairs can cost close to what base Civics start at.

They're great other than that. Lots of power and torque, and receive tuning well. The 6 isn't as flashy as some cars like a 911, but to most of us that's a benefit and not a negative.
I appreciate the notes. I was worried about some of the mechanical things, but if it can be had for a good price and cut my monthly expenditures down, it would be a welcomed change.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You should find out what was done to it under the BMW Customer Care Program (I may be a bit off on the name, but google N63 and that and you'll find it.) Don't buy it until you have read up on that. It was basically a recall without being a recall. What was done varied by car. Hopefully it got new timing chains. There are more differences between the N63 and N63TU besides putting in more robust parts for those that failed. The TU also has valvetronic and some other things. While it is true that every complex car may have expensive issues, with the 2012 you are buying one with known issues. I'd get a '13 with the TU if I were you. Decode the VIN on one of several online VIN decoders to make sure it has the TU.

Last edited by Opie55; 05-22-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
M6 in Bama
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Vert, Saphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrENDeatH View Post
I appreciate the notes. I was worried about some of the mechanical things, but if it can be had for a good price and cut my monthly expenditures down, it would be a welcomed change.
Sorry but if you are moving to a 2012 650i from a Honda Civic to save money, you are unlikely to end up happy. Everything costs more on these cars to maintain, even if you find a good indy and you get lucky on the reliability. If you want it because you want a beautiful, high performance, comfortable sports car, get it. If you want to save money, get a Camry or other good quality common car.
Appreciate 3
Flying Ace4984.50
lukej387.00
      05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6 in Bama View Post
Sorry but if you are moving to a 2012 650i from a Honda Civic to save money, you are unlikely to end up happy. Everything costs more on these cars to maintain, even if you find a good indy and you get lucky on the reliability. If you want it because you want a beautiful, high performance, comfortable sports car, get it. If you want to save money, get a Camry or other good quality common car.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

OP - do you know how much it costs to maintain a BMW? It may be a $20k car now, but it's got a $60k car maintenance price. My X5 costs $600 to for a complete brake change (online parts, double for dealer parts counter), and that's just parts alone. Labor for BMWs are easily $200 per visit (indie shops, double for a dealer visit).

And if anything breaks, every trip to the dealership is at least a $1000-$2000 when it's all said a done (diagnostics alone is $120). V8 turbo cars tend to leak...a lot. It could be hoses, and it could be gaskets. Are you comfortable fixing stuff yourself? Again, every trip to the dealer costs $1000.

On average, I would budget about $1000 a year just to maintain and fix the car, even for a 2012.
      05-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Talking

I've got one.... 2012 650i convertible.

In the last year:

- 4 times in for service due to the N63 CCP issues (n.b., the CCP isn't recognised here in the UK because Brits just grin and bear it. A BMW biz decision. Aww shucks.) However, it was all covered by warranty. The works came to about £7500.
---3 of the 4 the car needed a flat bed (covered, would've been maybe another £150)
---Fuel pump sounds very loud whirring sound after last engine failure where the vacuum lines busted under load.

- Window motors' anti-trap feature failing; new motors and coding £1000. (still not fixed. Same fault today.)

- Comfort Access when crazy... needed new door handles w/ sensors and then paint adjusted, £1500 ish, can't find invoice - Warranty covered.

- Hit a curb in Tower Bridge MLCP car park (my fault.. dramatically increased the price of brunch with my wife and kid) £610 out of pocket for new wheel

- Hit the mother of all potholes.. and then most of its siblings in a 50m stretch on the A1 last Nov. blew tires, two wheels cracked... £1200, 4 tires, £1100, alignment, £50

Right now it needs a £1300 headlamp assy (rock cracked it) and it's drinking coolant (dealer monitoring, but no action yet).....

Other than the above, she's awesome. ha. Unlike in the US, BMW dealers in the UK give you the shittiest loaners they can find (or even have the gall to charge you £20/day in some cases).... so, I've been tooling around in a lot of 218d FWD abominations. Seriously... everytime I get in one of those I think thoughts I can't mention here due to forum rules. In the US, they always tried to up-sell ya with a similar-but-new or next-model-up car. When my 335xi would break, I'd get a new one as a loaner or a 535xi/X3/X5.... for example.

I truly do love shining-up my 650i and driving her around town or for a quick trip into London with the top down. Had my wife and little girl in it today cruising around Hertfordshire in the sunshine... very nice. I know when I bought and am actually not that upset as the situation is alright: we have other cars and can afford it easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAero View Post
I've got one.... 2012 650i convertible.

In the last year:

- 4 times in for service due to the N63 CCP issues (n.b., the CCP isn't recognised here in the UK because Brits just grin and bear it. A BMW biz decision. Aww shucks.) However, it was all covered by warranty. The works came to about £7500.
---3 of the 4 the car needed a flat bed (covered, would've been maybe another £150)
---Fuel pump sounds very loud whirring sound after last engine failure where the vacuum lines busted under load.

- Window motors' anti-trap feature failing; new motors and coding £1000. (still not fixed. Same fault today.)

- Comfort Access when crazy... needed new door handles w/ sensors and then paint adjusted, £1500 ish, can't find invoice - Warranty covered.

- Hit a curb in Tower Bridge MLCP car park (my fault.. dramatically increased the price of brunch with my wife and kid) £610 out of pocket for new wheel

- Hit the mother of all potholes.. and then most of its siblings in a 50m stretch on the A1 last Nov. blew tires, two wheels cracked... £1200, 4 tires, £1100, alignment, £50

Right now it needs a £1300 headlamp assy (rock cracked it) and it's drinking coolant (dealer monitoring, but no action yet).....

Other than the above, she's awesome. ha. Unlike in the US, BMW dealers in the UK give you the shittiest loaners they can find (or even have the gall to charge you £20/day in some cases).... so, I've been tooling around in a lot of 218d FWD abominations. Seriously... everytime I get in one of those I think thoughts I can't mention here due to forum rules. In the US, they always tried to up-sell ya with a similar-but-new or next-model-up car. When my 335xi would break, I'd get a new one as a loaner or a 535xi/X3/X5.... for example.

I truly do love shining-up my 650i and driving her around town or for a quick trip into London with the top down. Had my wife and little girl in it today cruising around Hertfordshire in the sunshine... very nice. I know when I bought and am actually not that upset as the situation is alright: we have other cars and can afford it easily.
Not exactly true. I have in two cases received Hyundais for X5 work as loaners from a top rated for service USA dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Just for your info, I've put 45,000 miles on an N63 550i. Absolutely zero issues, doesn't burn oil and just runs great. It had the CCP done early on and has been trouble free before and after. There's always horror stories and those are sad, but very few people make posts that say "my car ran great today and didn't break down"...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
Not exactly true. I have in two cases received Hyundais for X5 work as loaners from a top rated for service USA dealer.
That sucks. I guess they figured you were willing to accept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Just for your info, I've put 45,000 miles on an N63 550i. Absolutely zero issues, doesn't burn oil and just runs great. It had the CCP done early on and has been trouble free before and after. There's always horror stories and those are sad, but very few people make posts that say "my car ran great today and didn't break down"...
This is a very important point to make. For everyone that you hear of, there are surely dozens that never have an issue.

If I were to answer the OP's question directly, I'd say to go for it. I'd buy another one if I were looking for that vintage again.
Appreciate 0