BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

SE to Sports

Hello everyone.

I've been on here for a few months but never really posted anything until now.

I have a black 2011 640i convertible SE. I want to change the bumbers to the sports edition, but I'm not sure what I need to do this?

Can I just buy the front and rear bumbers? or do I need other things to make this happen?

I've also acquired the sports steering wheel. My current car comes with the heated steering wheel. I wanted to know if by changing my current heated steering wheel to the sports one would I lose the heated elements on the sports wheel?

Thanks guys for a great site.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I would imagine all the bumper cover attachment points are the same, but light housings, exhaust outlets, etc may be different. You had better research this pretty deep. The best approach would be to get a look at the BMW parts manual that shows an exploded view of all the front and rear end body parts.

The steering wheel is simple. If the sports wheel you obtained has heat, then you will still have heat. If you acquired a non-heated wheel, you will have an unused connector and no heat. I suggest you disconnect your battery before swapping the wheel or you will get and airbag error code that only the dealer can reset. Even doing this, you may still get a code.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I would imagine all the bumper cover attachment points are the same, but light housings, exhaust outlets, etc may be different. You had better research this pretty deep. The best approach would be to get a look at the BMW parts manual that shows an exploded view of all the front and rear end body parts.

The steering wheel is simple. If the sports wheel you obtained has heat, then you will still have heat. If you acquired a non-heated wheel, you will have an unused connector and no heat. I suggest you disconnect your battery before swapping the wheel or you will get and air bag error code that only the dealer can reset. Even doing this, you may still get a code.
Thanks for the response. I've been to Real OEM website and can see that a few bits are different, but not too much and I can acquire the items that are different.
Appreciate 0