BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
deep_thought
Rep
Drives: f06

new 2015 650i xdrive GC, questions on maintenance (approx. 60,000 miles)

Hi, I bought my f06 not too long ago (I love it) however IDK much about how the previous owner treated the car and kept up with maintenance..

It is pretty good minus the terrible MPG (9-10.3mpg city+highway driving, avg mph is 13mph i believe), and one time it stalled ( I think i can replicate this often, by turning on the car (cold start) and then trying to drive right away/soon after vs giving it time to warm up (when i hear the somewhat loud muffler go silent, usually after 15-20 seconds then i know car is warm/good to go) if i try to drive off right away its a little vibrations/shaking and car feels like it might stall as it did to me one time)

However that is not really a problem as I have found that once it warms up around 15-20 seconds there's no issues what-so-ever from there on out..

I've made a a list of things im going to maintenance / change and would like experienced people/mechanics/ or very knowledgeable to chime in and offer suggestions ..
car facts:
2015 BMW 650i xDrive gran coupe - approaching 60,000 miles

maintenance list:

ENGINE
Oil filter (1)
Cabin filter (2)
Engine air filter/Intake (2)
Spark plugs (8)
Spark Plug Coilover (8)
Distributor cap and rotor (1)
O2 Oxygen sensors (4)
PCV valve (1) + pipes (4)
Coolant fluid flush/change (1)
Power steering fluid (1)
Automatic transmission fluid (1)
Fuel injectors (8) (EU5 or EU6, I am not sure as my research tells me I have to use special software to determine ISTA)
Fuel injector decoupler (8)
Walnut blasting
Throttle body cleaning (2)

Serpentine belt
/ribbed v belt
/AC compressor drive belt
/belt tensioner
/pulley
/idler pulley cap
/bracket deflection pulley

If there is anything I am missing/wrong about/ or simply any suggestions/edits please let me know

also last thing.. what brake pads/rotors do you guys recommend, please.. no ceramic suggestions lol, im not rich

Last edited by deep_thought; 05-16-2022 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: added Fuel injector/throttle body cleaning/walnut blasting to maintenance list
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

At 60,000 miles on the N63, these are the items I would replace:

Engine oil/oil filter (a given lol)
Cabin air filters
Engine air filter
Spark plugs/coil packs
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
Maybe throttle body cleaning?
Maybe MAF sensor spray clean (this works for me with a quick few sprays with MAF sensor cleaner from AutoZone once per year or so)
Maybe walnut blasting? I believe carbon buildup on the N63TU is more of a concern than on the N55.

The other things you posted don’t seem to need replacing just as of yet since the car has not reached the specified mileage for such replacement.
For instance, the auto transmission fluid doesn’t need to be replaced until between 80-100k miles (even though BMW claims it is “lifetime fluid”).

The drive belt/tensioners/pulleys can wait if the belt still looks good (which it should at that mileage/age) and no noises are coming from the tensioners.

Same with fuel injectors. I know these can cause issues, but I would wait until they give a code or actually cause issues before replacing.

Others can chime in about the other parts.

Oh and for brakes, Zimmerman rotors and Textar/TRW/Akebono pads. Akebonos might have less pad bite.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
deep_thought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
At 60,000 miles on the N63, these are the items I would replace:

Engine oil/oil filter (a given lol)
Cabin air filters
Engine air filter
Spark plugs/coil packs
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
Maybe throttle body cleaning?
Maybe MAF sensor spray clean (this works for me with a quick few sprays with MAF sensor cleaner from AutoZone once per year or so)
Maybe walnut blasting? I believe carbon buildup on the N63TU is more of a concern than on the N55.

The other things you posted donÂ’t seem to need replacing just as of yet since the car has not reached the specified mileage for such replacement.
For instance, the auto transmission fluid doesn’t need to be replaced until between 80-100k miles (even though BMW claims it is “lifetime fluid”).

The drive belt/tensioners/pulleys can wait if the belt still looks good (which it should at that mileage/age) and no noises are coming from the tensioners.

Same with fuel injectors. I know these can cause issues, but I would wait until they give a code or actually cause issues before replacing.

Others can chime in about the other parts.

Oh and for brakes, Zimmerman rotors and Textar/TRW/Akebono pads. Akebonos might have less pad bite.
Thank you for your input ..

Quote:
Oh and for brakes, Zimmerman rotors and Textar/TRW/Akebono pads. Akebonos might have less pad bite
I'll be replacing my brakes with those pads and rotors, i did some research, very good reviews...

Quote:
the reason i want to change the fuel injector is to get the entire fuel system back up to 100%.. 10.3mpg means there is some serious underperforming or clogged system .. theres a slight turbo lag too, not too much, but it is a lag when i floor it (rolling speeds not from stop) .. the coils and plug definitely, the injector might be slightly early, but IDK how the previous owner drove it so, thats why i want to replace it and not have to worry about getting them cleaned or replaced in the future.

and as for the code.. i did receive a 02 bank or oxygen code something like that, it was a while back and i cleared it and it hasnt returned, so thats another reason i want to replace the injectors as well as the O2 oxygen sensors ...

Quote:
Im going to hold off on the fluid as per your suggestion .. however BMW recommends changing the oil every 10k miles and i just changed it the other day, i put about 2-3k miles and then i got the "oil level low pleaae add 2qts immediately" message ... its only been 2 months , with my previous cars I would change the oil monthly so I am not too concerned .. however does that seem like a high oil consumption to you ? (i know the N63 has oil consuption issues, this is the N63TU which is touted as the ultimate fix for all the issues the N63 engine has, however since it has been 2 months im nit too concerned as like i said, i usually change the oil monthly ( i drive everyday

Quote:
MAF cleaning thanks, will add that to the list to tell my mechanic to clean, Ive actually performed that before on my infiniti, as well as ended up replacing them

Quote:
already on list lol .. as well as throttle body cleaning
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You don’t have a distributor cap or rotor. Those have not been used in decades. The turbo lag from a roll you describe is normal if you are in comfort mode. You do need to code new injectors, but those might be overkill at those miles. What will somebody charge you to walnut blast an N63? Not easy job since the intake manifolds are way down low on the sides.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
deep_thought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You don’t have a distributor cap or rotor. Those have not been used in decades. The turbo lag from a roll you describe is normal if you are in comfort mode. You do need to code new injectors, but those might be overkill at those miles. What will somebody charge you to walnut blast an N63? Not easy job since the intake manifolds are way down low on the sides.
Im not sure how much .. but thats a reason I want to get ALL maintenance out the way and have an idea of what i am talking about when i visit a few shops ... i dont know about the prvious owner and dont care much as im on top of these kinds of things so i want to replace/clean/maintenance the car as much as i can thats within reason .. thnx for distributor cap and rotor tip, not sure where i seen that but if it doesnt have it, even beter
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #6
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Flush brakes.
Appreciate 1
John H.230.00
      06-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
AndyTiskF06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 650 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_thought View Post
Im not sure how much .. but thats a reason I want to get ALL maintenance out the way and have an idea of what i am talking about when i visit a few shops ... i dont know about the prvious owner and dont care much as im on top of these kinds of things so i want to replace/clean/maintenance the car as much as i can thats within reason .. thnx for distributor cap and rotor tip, not sure where i seen that but if it doesnt have it, even beter
I wanted to do a walnut blasting on my 550 when I had it, and was quoted something like 2-3k because basically the motor as to be lifted out of the car
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #8
deep_thought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTiskF06 View Post
Quote:
I wanted to do a walnut blasting on my 550 when I had it, and was quoted something like 2-3k because basically the motor as to be lifted out of the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTiskF06 View Post
Quote:

damn 3k 🥲 :'(
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
damn 3k 🥲 :'(
Unless there were symptoms, that's not $3k I'd spend.
Appreciate 0