BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
His4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

M6 F13 - JB4 Problems

Hello everybody,

On Load in the 5rd gear the engine starts to jerky and goes into emergency run. Its in Map1 also in Map2.

Does anyone knows the problem or had this same problem too?

Thanks for help !!!

This message is in the error memory:

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

What other mods do you have? I've been researching about jb4 and catless DPs, and I think you need an actual tune to have it work, not just jb4, from what another member told me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
His4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I have catless DP's and BMC filters
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think that's the issue, jb4 can't change afr. I'm sure someone that's more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

You need to get a backend ECU tune/flash performed. This is why JB4 or any piggyback is not a great option for tune. They will never run as smooth as a full ECU tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
You need to get a backend ECU tune/flash performed. This is why JB4 or any piggyback is not a great option for tune. They will never run as smooth as a full ECU tune.
JB4 won't void the warranty on a $140k car if you take it out. You can't pull a flash out and the car has a flash counter so you can say goodbye to your warranty and also to the future value of your M when you got to sell it and the person checks your "Never raced car." I have had nothing but success with BMS products. Haters always gon' hate.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
JB4 won't void the warranty on a $140k car if you take it out. You can't pull a flash out and the car has a flash counter so you can say goodbye to your warranty and also to the future value of your M when you got to sell it and the person checks your "Never raced car." I have had nothing but success with BMS products. Haters always gon' hate.
Hey then don't hate on the ECU tune? If you have a good relationship with your BMW service center, there's not much to worry. My service adviser himself has full ECU tuned on his M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Hey then don't hate on the ECU tune? If you have a good relationship with your BMW service center, there's not much to worry. My service adviser himself has full ECU tuned on his M3.
Speaking from experience with forced induction BMW's since the 335 came out in 2007, the service advisor or manager will be your best friend until you get a major failure, then they will read you the bad news in a really nice way, but you'll still be paying for that new motor or turbos you blew. Don't forget about the internal flash counter and the car's resale value. I'm not hating on the ECU tune like you were hating on the JB4, I am just listing facts of the disadvantages between an ECU tune vs a piggy, In my case they outweigh the positives.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Sorry I did not hate on the JB4. I was promoting an ECU tune over piggybacks in general. I'm actually planning on getting JB4 or Racechip Ultimate for my B58 740i.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

I have a full ECU tune that went undetected. During service, they reflashed it to the newest software. I told my advisor it had been detuned by accident. He apologized and I never had warranty problems. I also have downpipes and they serviced the entire car under factory warranty. It depends on the leniency of your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post
I have a full ECU tune that went undetected. During service, they reflashed it to the newest software. I told my advisor it had been detuned by accident. He apologized and I never had warranty problems. I also have downpipes and they serviced the entire car under factory warranty. It depends on the leniency of your dealership.
No, it depends on the cost of any damages. If you come in there with blown turbos or a blown motor, trans, etc. It will be a different outcome and I promise you your best bud service tech will not help, cause they cannot.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you blow anything, bmw will send their engineer. I know from experience. They also read this boards, and knew my car was modded. My SA told me that specifically. Now whether or not that latter is true, I don't really know but they knew exactly what I had. That was for a blown Vanos system on my 07 M6. They've only advanced in their knowledge since then.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #13
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
+1 in my experience !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:29 AM   #14
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior75 View Post
If you blow anything, bmw will send their engineer. I know from experience. They also read this boards, and knew my car was modded. My SA told me that specifically. Now whether or not that latter is true, I don't really know but they knew exactly what I had. That was for a blown Vanos system on my 07 M6. They've only advanced in their knowledge since then.
The V10 had this issue ... should have asked them to blow

Lol
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #15
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My experience also ... and my Delaership gave me the super sprint catless down pipes when I ordered my car

I'm on my second M6 ... and they also own three point .. on my third AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #16
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

To clarify by comment, you need to get a backend flash performed... this is also known as a stacked tune. It works with the JB4 so you will not have to get rid of the JB4. The stacked tune addresses the AFR that the JB4 cannot manage. When done right, you should have zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

op did you gap your plugs? if not thats probably why you have misfires, 2nd question is do you have competition pkg? if not in map 2 you can really max out the fuel trims so you need to check your logs @his4
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To clarify by comment, you need to get a backend flash performed... this is also known as a stacked tune. It works with the JB4 so you will not have to get rid of the JB4. The stacked tune addresses the AFR that the JB4 cannot manage. When done right, you should have zero issues.
That's what I thought and have read. I've had more than one person tell me the jb4 can run catless DPs though,without issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
He needs bootmod3, it'll work with any tune, JB4 etc

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Quote:
No, it depends on the cost of any damages. If you come in there with blown turbos or a blown motor, trans, etc. It will be a different outcome and I promise you your best bud service tech will not help, cause they cannot.
Do you work for bmw NA or what man lol? You have literally said the same thing about everyone's warranty in every Tune discussion. I think we all know where you stand. You love your JB4 and think it will save you from warranty issues, but unfortunately, it won't. If the dealership really wants to screw you, they can see the wires, or see boost wasn't flowing at stock psi, so really there is no way to be 100% safe without Dinan.

Let everyone enjoy their cars, knock on wood but it's really a 5% chance something will happen if you're under 700whp and getting your oil changes done on time. As long as you're not tracking the car every weekend in 100 degrees without oil changes and pushing your car to 8000 rpm all day, I'm sure you'll be ok.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #21
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Do you work for bmw NA or what man lol? You have literally said the same thing about everyone's warranty in every Tune discussion. I think we all know where you stand. You love your JB4 and think it will save you from warranty issues, but unfortunately, it won't. If the dealership really wants to screw you, they can see the wires, or see boost wasn't flowing at stock psi, so really there is no way to be 100% safe without Dinan.

Let everyone enjoy their cars, knock on wood but it's really a 5% chance something will happen if you're under 700whp and getting your oil changes done on time. As long as you're not tracking the car every weekend in 100 degrees without oil changes and pushing your car to 8000 rpm all day, I'm sure you'll be ok.
It's just my opinion man, don't get your panties all in a bunch about it and you shouldn't write something out if you have no idea what you are saying. If you pull out the JB4, there is no trace that it was ever there, no wires, the DME never sees the increase in boost, etc. So yes it is 100% safe and that 5% risk can end up costing you $40k out of pocket is all I was trying to get across. Your car is still stock but you have gone over every mod available for it claiming you're going to get them on a daily basis and then change your mind, yet still bone stock. If anything you're gonna win the troll of the month award.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #22
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Actually, he's right. They can read boost pressures from the car's engine management software. They will know.

He's also right that you should give it a rest. Your opinion on the topic is well known by everyone on the internet at this point.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9805.00