BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Correct.... its a matter of preference. And there is only one map i'm interested in, and that's the most powerful and reliable one. I've had nothing but issues running JB4 on this car and my on past cars. So its just me speaking from my experiences. As you can see, others have had and are having issues with the piggyback. So i'm simply offering an alternative that i has proven nothing but solid to myself.
I agree about preference but I am not interested in the most powerful map and no one else should be either. First problem is with a 725whp car is most people don't know how to handle it so they crash right away, other issues would be the clutch packs can't hold up to that kind of power, then the trans, then eventually the motor. I like the JB4 because you can run the car at 600whp around town and from my iPhone i can switch to map 2 and activate meth and run 750whp on the fly, you cannot do anything remotely close to that with a flash. I have been running BMS products since 2007 flawlessly, most issues arise from the user, not BMS and their customer service has been flawless. I had a different car, a Saleen that was flash tuned and the motor was blown after a few weeks because the tuner was not reliable, so even though you love flash tunes, some of us know their limitations all too well.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
I agree about preference but I am not interested in the most powerful map and no one else should be either. First problem is with a 725whp car is most people don't know how to handle it so they crash right away, other issues would be the clutch packs can't hold up to that kind of power, then the trans, then eventually the motor. I like the JB4 because you can run the car at 600whp around town and from my iPhone i can switch to map 2 and activate meth and run 750whp on the fly, you cannot do anything remotely close to that with a flash. I have been running BMS products since 2007 flawlessly, most issues arise from the user, not BMS and their customer service has been flawless. I had a different car, a Saleen that was flash tuned and the motor was blown after a few weeks because the tuner was not reliable, so even though you love flash tunes, some of us know their limitations all too well.
Sounds biased bro. A good ECU tuning company like PP Performance will spend quite a bit of R&D to make sure their flash tunes are designed for each specific vehicle/ECU. Piggybacks like Burger Tuning are adapted to each vehicle from a universal platform so they don't spend as much time on R&D for each of their tunes. Usually the latter type will cause more issues. Hey but I'm not saying JB4s are bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #25
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Sounds biased bro. A good ECU tuning company like PP Performance will spend quite a bit of R&D to make sure their flash tunes are designed for each specific vehicle/ECU. Piggybacks like Burger Tuning are adapted to each vehicle from a universal platform so they don't spend as much time on R&D for each of their tunes. Usually the latter type will cause more issues. Hey but I'm not saying JB4s are bad.
No you're not saying that it's bad, but nothing you said had any kind of actual fact behind it. BMS has been working on forced induction BMW's since they came out in 2007, how long has PP been flashing M6's? What like a few months, a year tops? Somehow they convinced you that they are pros. You'll come to learn with experience that every shop thinks they are the best but it's on you the consumer to end up with the shaft if they don't turn out to be. I have been flashing, piggybacking, resistor modding since 1998 and I can tell you that nothing is perfect, but deleting the warranty on a $140k car, you better hope you don't learn the other side of that coin cause it happens all the time, but I never heard of it happening with BMS, so at least there's that. Anyway I should be at Bimmerfest so maybe we could run the flash vs. the piggy and see how it goes in the real world?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #26
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

Quote:
No you're not saying that it's bad, but nothing you said had any kind of actual fact behind it. BMS has been working on forced induction BMW's since they came out in 2007, how long has PP been flashing M6's? What like a few months, a year tops? Somehow they convinced you that they are pros. You'll come to learn with experience that every shop thinks they are the best but it's on you the consumer to end up with the shaft if they don't turn out to be. I have been flashing, piggybacking, resistor modding since 1998 and I can tell you that nothing is perfect, but deleting the warranty on a $140k car, you better hope you don't learn the other side of that coin cause it happens all the time, but I never heard of it happening with BMS, so at least there's that. Anyway I should be at Bimmerfest so maybe we could run the flash vs. the piggy and see how it goes in the real world?
Again... i'm simply speaking from my experience. I'm not saying that what i experienced applies to all the JB4 products out there. I am running 745whp with AutoCouture's DME Stage 3 tune. Not a single car (out of hundreds) have experienced issues with the tune itself. You speak of the clutch... that's a given and if you want to run this type of power.... you will need to upgrade the clutch pack. So it's another $2500. I've run countless JB4 M5s and M6s and I walk them every time, no matter what map they were running. Again, every tune is different. But people usually gravitate to whichever product they have the best experience with. If you were in the east coast, i would have put this whole thing to bed by running you at various speeds. And the results would have spoken for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Again... i'm simply speaking from my experience. I'm not saying that what i experienced applies to all the JB4 products out there. I am running 745whp with AutoCouture's DME Stage 3 tune. Not a single car (out of hundreds) have experienced issues with the tune itself. You speak of the clutch... that's a given and if you want to run this type of power.... you will need to upgrade the clutch pack. So it's another $2500. I've run countless JB4 M5s and M6s and I walk them every time, no matter what map they were running. Again, every tune is different. But people usually gravitate to whichever product they have the best experience with. If you were in the east coast, i would have put this whole thing to bed by running you at various speeds. And the results would have spoken for themselves.
That's a monster of a car at 745whp! What fuel is that on?

I agree if you want to take the car to the limit you have options and of course a flash is great if the car is that modified anyway you wouldn't care about warranty or the flash counter. BMS has the JB4 with supporting mods and methanol pushing 770whp on the stock turbos so we can all get there based on our tuning preference whether that's a piggy or a flash. Main reason I side with the piggy is because it is less intrusive, once you take it and mods off your car it is back to bone stock like it was from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #28
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior75 View Post
Yes, she's mine. Powder coat makes sense for sure. I want them black, I think it just looks better on some cars.
I literally have the exact same issue. I want the black ones and wish it came with black! Let me know what you do.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
My guy will powder coat all four of your wheels for $500. Takes 3-4 days to complete.
Where are you located? I would do that!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #30
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not everything is about money. Of course powder is the way to go but if you want to retain the factory finish plasti is a good medium, even if you do it three times over 3 years, what's $600 on a $140k car right?

In regards to tuning as I see you keep talking about the JB4 vs. flashing, in my opinion it is superior to a flash in the sense that you retain the vehicles value in that the flash counter does not move and down the road it's going to matter if you own and want to sell the car or if a major failure happens you'll be covered, with a flash you'll be paying for the damages even if they were not related to tuning. Plus you can't datalog anything with a flash, you can't change maps on the fly, monitor boost, etc. Different strokes for different folks
Man...another warranty discussion. First off, it is 100% illegal to void a warranty on something that has not been proven to be caused by the tune. I have seen many issues (IE blown turbos or fuel pump) get replaced free, even with a ton of mods.

A piggyback like JB4 is more dangerous then a flash tune. JB4 allows the driver to mess with the tune, change maps, and that is where the problem lies. I have heard much more limp mode issues, drive train malfunction, and blown motors with JB4 or piggybacks then with any flash tune by far. Running up to 28 PSI! Most flash tunes stay below 22.7 which is the threshold where it becomes dangerous.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #31
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can't do anything remotely close to that with a flash tune? That's weird because bootmod3 has an app where you can change from stage 1 to stage 2 and gain a ton of power, or keep it around 610-630WHP in stage 1. It has a ton of great features and allows you to customize the tune however you like.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #32
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry, but another post where you are not correct. You have never heard of a blown motor with JB4? I personally know 2 people that blew their motor with JB4 just in the past 2 months.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #33
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
I literally have the exact same issue. I want the black ones and wish it came with black! Let me know what you do.
I'm going to ask my local crew if they have a guy, if not my current mechanic told me he does. I'm definitely powder coating. Right now, looking around for paint correction. Have a reasonable offer from one guy, but it will take him 2 days. Problem being, I don't feel comfortable leaving my car with him. I don't know him.

Have an alternative, same deal 2 days, but he's more money. But he does another step. I have to confirm that as I'm not sure. Either way, I feel much more comfortable with this guy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #34
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior75 View Post
Quote:
I'm going to ask my local crew if they have a guy, if not my current mechanic told me he does. I'm definitely powder coating. Right now, looking around for paint correction. Have a reasonable offer from one guy, but it will take him 2 days. Problem being, I don't feel comfortable leaving my car with him. I don't know him.

Have an alternative, same deal 2 days, but he's more money. But he does another step. I have to confirm that as I'm not sure. Either way, I feel much more comfortable with this guy.
Nice, where are you located?

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #35
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can't do anything remotely close to that with a flash tune? That's weird because bootmod3 has an app where you can change from stage 1 to stage 2 and gain a ton of power, or keep it around 610-630WHP in stage 1. It has a ton of great features and allows you to customize the tune however you like.
Do you have Bootmod3 Installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

Quote:
Nice, where are you located?
South Florida. Delray Beach.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #37
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

Summer Shoes have arrived! ADV1 Wheels.... ADV10 design, Super Convaves... 20x9 up front and 20x11.5 out back. Faces are Carbon Graphite Metallic and Barrels are high gloss black. I'll be mounting this weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1