BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #67
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine325ci View Post
Heres my theory on this car. By looking at the photos it does look like a coupe because of the B pillar in which we know cabrios do not have B pillars. what fools us is the tape on the roof that gives us the impression that it is the hardtop cabrio just like the earlier photos we have seen before. ALSO...the cabrio seats with the seatbelts located on the side of the headrest like we see on the E93 cabrios. just like they put lines on the roof they also added cabrio seats to fool us even further you can see it in the photo i posted. i believe this is just a normal coupe and very sure its not an M6 either. oh you cant forget theres no trunk line for the hardtop to fold into like we see with the soft top versions.
i usually agree with you, but your very wrong if you think this isnt an M6. Why the big brakes with cross drilled rotors? and why the quad exhaust? its def not a 650
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #68
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

I hope the back of it isn't ass ugly like the old one
      06-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #69
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Based on what I see this far with those pics ...

This car is going to be "SICK"

It looks really beautiful all around, front, side profile and rear!

I love the placement of the new M exhausts, a little more spaced out towards the outsides.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #70
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
So we are back to 6 series badge with this?
There was time when the 4 door Grand Coupe concept was supposed to be the next 6 series...
Gran Coupe is a variant of the 6- like the 5 GT is a variant of the 5.

6 will be ( is proposed launch order):

Soft Top Convertible
Coupe
Hard Top Convertible
Gran Coupe/ GT with 4 doors- May be ///M only?
      06-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #71
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
I hope the back of it isn't ass ugly like the old one
+1

I hope the front doesn't look like a door stopper
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #72
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
My post about this on GCF.

Reading some of the media today where one says it is not the M6 but the 650i? I will Point out incase they are reading.
First of all the 650i has already been spotted using the trapezoid exhaust ports on each side of the rear valence.

BMW and M cars test in phases , a single prototype whether a BMW or an M car is not two cars the same , prototypes are utilised by every department and depends on what car is scooped it will be focusing on the development aspects of that department.
Specifics such as fit and finish are not needed , aerodynamics will be tested additionally. That is why there is no M styling packet as yet and is using the conventional 6er aerodynamics.
Eventually once targets have been met, multiple prototypes become one at the FEP stages.

In would also like to point out. Why does BMW need to have an exact interpretation of the Audi R8? Can BMW not do it differently without journalists pointing out that it has to be a word for word , power for power facsimile?
With the E60 M5 and the E63 M6 , BMW felt that customers reckoned the two cars were to close for comfort.
Now there is an ongoing effort to distance the new M6 (F12/F13) from the new M5 (F10)in terms of dynamics and composure.

BMW can do an R8 rival in terms of Power and dynamics , it is more refreshing to see them do something that showcases BMW's originality and engineering prowness but is in noways a direct facsimile.

Official launch for the new M6 will be @ Geneva 2012, alongside the new 3er Sedan , exactly at Geneva 2005 where the E90 and E63 M6 first made their debut.

The new 6er and X3 begins a trend for more sharper lines in specific design details , elements such as more broad sculpture , sharper angles around the twin-kidney grille outline and angular headlights which will also be carried over to the new 3er Sedan.
Scott- I hope BMW never gives into the pressures of building an R8 competitor as it is NOT needed. Building something different and more efficient is what the future needs, not another "super" car wanna be.

If BMW could tap into some of its earlier DNA of road feel, lightness and over all great packaging in a sporty highly green car they will have a hit, not to mention no need to market it as Hollywoods finest (can one say that?) will do it freely. BMW became a bit engrossed in soft and luxurious like MB in many of the high line cars, if they could do both at the same time that would make sense- the M6 to me was the car that never met the markets demands and was not the car to be a halo, the X ///Ms do more to show what M can do than the ///M6 and I feel that is the point of contention and why people always feel BMW needs an R8- the M6 was just not a car to dream about from a looks, performance and overall presence (the R8 is that).

Having just refreshed myself in a 997 GT3, it is very apparent that to me this is the car BMW no longer has even somewhat an answer to- a raw sports car that gets the juices flowing while still being able to be adapted to make it more livable. With Porsche releasing a hybrid version in the not so distant future, Audi will be close behind so BMW will have to have an answer for those cars.

My vote always remains that BMW does not need a true super car, but something that makes people think they want a car like that one BMW created. A VED would do that and not need to outperform everyone else, it would be exclusive because of the cost of the technology/materials and have a look that makes everything else dated. Leave the M5/M6 to be cast as the performance role... but this time around make them different from one another- give the 6 more performance like a GT3, and allow the M5 to take on the Panamera.

-M
      06-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #73
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
i usually agree with you, but your very wrong if you think this isnt an M6. Why the big brakes with cross drilled rotors? and why the quad exhaust? its def not a 650
im going by what i read in the german car forums. but who knows it could be the M6 without the bumpers cuz what we see is a normal 6 series with bigger wheels and breaks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #74
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine325ci View Post
im going by what i read in the german car forums. but who knows it could be the M6 without the bumpers cuz what we see is a normal 6 series with bigger wheels and breaks.
Besides the obvious signs (quad exhaust with unique rear mufflers, drilled brake discs), SCOTT confirmed it's the M6. What makes you believe it's not an M6?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Please go back to a previous post when I discuss evaluation in phases...
Or to cut it short... Fit and finish is neither important or a priority in early testing phases.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #76
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Thanks again Scott for confirming that.

Alpine...of course they are going to use the regular 6 series bumper. No need for the M bumper quite yet
As I said in my previous post, the drilled big brakes and quad exhaust are all the proof one needs that this is indeed an M6/
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #77
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Besides the obvious signs (quad exhaust with unique rear mufflers, drilled brake discs), SCOTT confirmed it's the M6. What makes you believe it's not an M6?

Best regards,
south
i guess its just because i see the regular 6 series bumpers but then again they did the same with the M5 and the M1/1M. guess its an M6 then but its def not a hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #78
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado View Post
These shots remind me of the Z32 300ZX from the 1990's. Now, I'm not saying I think the car's going to look like that, but these particular shots just remind me of that car.
Yep. Don't think this car will advance design language in any way. More imagination please (yeah, know most don't like Bangle but he left as the most influential designer of the 2000s).

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Scott- I hope BMW never gives into the pressures of building an R8 competitor as it is NOT needed. Building something different and more efficient is what the future needs, not another "super" car wanna be.
This is exactly the direction that is on our roadmap, BMW do not want to do another "me too" competitor that ranks of desperation to rival our competitors. First and Foremost we are engineers with passion , we like to drive , but we also have an excellent marketing department to justify the motive for our engineers.
Vision Efficient Dynamics is a totally different concept that is pure BMW - innovation , design and engineering.
When we get to see a production version of that car by mid-decade we will see the concept is carried over virtually intact , there will be minor changes for safety issues but the fact remains that the technology the concept showcased will be present in the production model as will the 2+2 packaging.
It will be an exciting showcase for Sports cars that is the angle BMW are looking for , following the same formula means you will be yesterdays headlines very soon.

With the M6 in it's current guise from feedback from customers we found that they felt the cars were never really individual from each other and for the price difference difficult to justify.
When the M Division created the one-off anniversary M5 CSL , they also created in a workshop a similar project although built around the M6.
When the M6 was launched , BMW had plans to introduce a one-off ltd CSL which was spotted testing at the Ring, slightly more power , slightly less weight and extra carbon fibre were in the plans but BMW pulled the plug when the results did not mount to justify a credible alternative to the standard car.

The CSL developed off the anniversary edition of the M5 showcased what can be achieved when taken out of it's comfort zone. From what I heard the car performed differently than the conventional M6 that the strategy was put into place that the forthcoming M6 must be completely a stand alone product from the forthcoming new M5. What I have learned is that the strategy applied to the M6 will feature many features that will distinguish the car from the M5 such as being lighter , slightly more power than the M5 and drive and handle differently.

The opportunity is now upon us to make the M6 into the car it should be.
I have also heard that early evaluations (remember before these cars hit the streets , they are tested behind closed doors @ BMW's proving grounds and private test tracks) have proved promising that they are putting proposals forward for a more lightweight extreme version.

The key thing about image is that you either have it or you dont.
A BMW has image as a standard feature , whatever model you drive it has been developed to be a true BMW and drive like a BMW.
There is no need for a stand alone product to reflect on the rest of your products when they are universally celebrated by not just being the best car in their respective segments. But also by enthusiasts and how they drive.

Vision Efficient Dynamics is to compliment BMW's Efficient Dynamics initiative , not as an image builder what you find in the Vision Efficient Dynamics is available today and the future tech it showcases will feature in BMW's of tomorrow. Remember BMW were the first manufacturer to initiate a programme designed to make cars more cleaner and efficient than either of our competitors or any other manufacturer for that matter.

There is the Audi threat looming over our shoulder as they have surpassed Mercedes-Benz. But whenever I am asked that question , I always say don't write us off yet. In the next few years the most significant segments for BMW will be the Citycar/ Compact and Mid-Compact D-Segment.
Exactly what BMW has been working on the past three years in lieu of a vanity project. Each segment will offer a range of variants , with both the 1er and 3er offering more expansion. The next 3er is also not only a very striking looking car which takes the look of a typical BMW sedan but sharpens the design formula for more impact. it is also a very important addition and best selling model that as the opposite of a vanity project sets the standard for the rest of the BMW line-up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #80
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I guess it is slowly time to move to a Porsche. BMW has always been my dream car, i guess every sweet dream has an end.
      06-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #81
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I guess it is slowly time to move to a Porsche. BMW has always been my dream car, i guess every sweet dream has an end.

enjoy...

I like where BMW is going, I like that they won't copy the R8. I love the idea of the M6 being different from the M5. It sounds promising for a DD
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #82
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

@Scott26

I am glad BMW is going in the direction that it is. An R8 competitor is a waste of resources. A small/city car is the future. Audi is going to have a lot of catching up to do. I am eagerly waiting to see how the next 3er sedan/coupe/M cars turn out. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #83
BobbyPremium
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW e-92 335 2008

looks grate
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #84
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
@Scott26

I am glad BMW is going in the direction that it is. An R8 competitor is a waste of resources. A small/city car is the future. Audi is going to have a lot of catching up to do. I am eagerly waiting to see how the next 3er sedan/coupe/M cars turn out. Can't wait!
R8 is about bringing hype to the Audi brand. It shows that Audi has an exotic car within their lineup and that some of the technology from the R8 will be filtered down to lower cars.

So R8 is not a waste of resources, its a way to bring more customers to the Audi brand.

Plus Audi can say that BMW doesn't have a car that can match the R8, Audi halo car.
Appreciate 0