BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
6sickseries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650 2012

Maserati gt - m6 - or Audi r8??

What you guys think I have a 650 what should I get next??
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Which R8, v8 or v10 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
bradh2238
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 M

I hope everyone doesn't hate me, but I don't think this is even contest (unless speed is the issue). The R8 hands down. The M6 is the fastest (unless you possibly get the v10 in the R8), but the 6 series (even the M6) won't have the allure of the other two. No offense, but these other two are cars people buy to standout. I bought my 650 because it blended in. If you valet park these, the order would be R8, GT, then M6. Maybe I'm bias on the Maserati, because my best friend has one. I don't think they are that special. Not super fast, been around for awhile, cheap enough where too many people seem to have them. Plus, don't hold their value. Granted, the R8 has been around awhile, but they seem much rarer. There is just something unique about it that you don't get with a lot of other cars, without really spending a lot. I think they drive great and are comfortable. Resale, the 2008 R8s are still around $100,000. I don't think the R8 resale will continue as well as it has in the past, but it will destroy the M6 and GT. With that said, I'd still buy an M6 if it was me, but my guess is you are going for a car that stands out. The 6 series is absolutely beautiful, but for the time period I owned it almost no one seemed to even know what it was (other than a BMW). The R8 just looks like a super car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

If you decide on the R8 over the M6 than get the v10, wait until 2013 model year and get the new double clutch trans.
Forget about the Maserati.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
6sickseries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650 2012

The r8 prob the v8 but the body is sick idk a lot ppl tell me the m6 but the r8 and maserati are the 2 I have to choose from
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
This is way out of my league, but I'd probably go for the R8 V10. My 650xi is rare where I live, so any of the three would be equally gawked at. The R8 looks like a super car. The Maserati is very cool, but I don't think it is quite as good as the R8 V10, and the Maserati will be worthless when you go to sell it. I've never owned a Maserati or an Audi, but I'd imagine the R8 is built better and will be easier and cheaper to get serviced - may not be an issue worth factoring in, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I haven't compared the other two to the M6 in terms of performance figures, but I think the M6 could hold its own. It is probably the best value but the least showy... and who really cares about "value" on these cars? lol

R8 is the coolest and will get the most admiring looks IMO, for what it's worth
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

Since you have a 650i the you don't need ///M so I say go with the R8 but wait for the face lift.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I don't think the R8 is more special than an M6 even if it has a v10
For me, the M6's CF roof is really impressive and you'll not see this quite often at other manufacturers, also it has a great stance
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Maser Vs. 650i Vs Audi R8

Perhaps I can weigh in as someone who owns a 2012 Maserati GTS (retired my 2012 640d F12 Convertible a few months after i got it) with a couple of comments:

1. All 3 cars are fast thoroughbreds with significant lineage but come from very different design philosophies - so you need to pick the one that suits your driving needs and style best. If man and machine match, you're going to have many happy hours enjoying your investment.

2. The Maserati is hand-built, with typical Italian Flair and attention to detail. It puts down plenty of power and driving dynamics, in a simple, less synthetic fashion than the BMW and Audi. It has oodles of design flair (that gets noticed time after time!) and an awesome sound especially in MC shift mode (with braps, pops, fizzles especially on the over-run that neither of the other cars can manage. It puts a smile on my face everything i set off!)

Whereas my BMW just 'got the evils' while you drive past, with the Masearti, young and old, man or women, people stop and smile and wave. I kid you not.

This Maser WILL GO WRONG (you can bet your money on it!), things will fall off occasionally as it is hand-built, it is more expensive to service than the equivalent BMW, and does not have the refinement touches that BMW do - the 2D SatNav is pretty basic, there is no HUD or EfficientDynamics and Internet/BMW Apps etc etc.) You get DAB, bluetooth, SatNav, superb leathers, a great interior - and all you $$ has gone into a spectacular motor. SO the honesty with which it puts down power is awesome, and something that BMW has completely designed out.

Interestingly, it seats 4 very comfortably with more space than either the BMW or the Audi. I run an F07/5 GT and an F20 so I have my regular BMW motoring fallback, but on days when i need all that extra oomph, there is nothing to beat the Maser (the less vulgar side of a Ferrari). I wouldnt buy it as my only car, it would drive me nuts.

3. At the other end, The BMW 650i (presumably like the 640d I owned) is a more rounded ownership proposition: great power and handling, no supercar dramas, relatively inexpensive to service and reliable as a daily runaround. It has one of the best BMW interiors if specified correctly and all the toys that appeal to a certain kind of affluent consumer: progressive, future-proof, exciting but not necessarily centered around the motoring itself. It never really gets noticed on the street except by BMW fans so good to blend in.

4. The Audi R8 is somewhere in between: really outstanding motor with exceptional driving dynamics, supercar LITE looks that does turn heads, some vaguely interesting noise but its down to chasing the Audi DNA for interior refinement, build quality and reliability. Its Mr. Average, I would still look at an Aston Martin DB9 over one.

In the UK, The Maserati has rock solid residuals, followed by the Audi R8, surprisingly the BMW 640d lost 50% of its value in under 2 years so not very good. But who ever made money on a premium car so I wouldn't bother. Used Masers dont come on the market, people seem to want to hold on to it - such is its charm.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
CSWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: White on black E92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post

Used Masers dont come on the market, people seem to want to hold on to it - such is its charm.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Sorry i dont agree, there are tons of used Maseratis in the US market and they lose value as any other luxury car over here. May its different over in your neck of the woods
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsmoothwildM3 View Post
Sorry i dont agree, there are tons of used Maseratis in the US market and they lose value as any other luxury car over here. May its different over in your neck of the woods
This is definitely true in the US, probably more so.

I think Maseratis depreciate more than any other luxury brand, e.g. MB, BMW, Audi, etc.

I think part of it is that there is less of a service/dealership network for Maseratis.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
As a general rule, I dont think you worry about depreciation at this end of the market. Its going to be brutal, no one really made money buying new $120,000 - $140,000 cars unless they are exotics and that costs $million+

Maserati is a fantastic motoring brand and has cars that fit a certain kind of owner, driving need and style. If it was my only BMW, I would probably buy at 6 Gran Coupe but it isn't.
Appreciate 0