Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650xi GranCoupe M Sport

Garage List
Wheel Issues

Hi,

For the past 9 months, I have been trying to put style 373 wheels on my car. BMW told me you can't put them on your car based on the VIN of my car and I told them F06 comes with those. I kept those on my car for 6 months and the transmission wasn't as smooth as it was with those 19" (style 351 non staggered). Especially, when I drove on hills it got a lot worse, the car shook.
The only thing I changed on 373 is instead of 245-275 I put 255-285. BMW shop foreman told me I should either put the original size (245-275) or put the same size wheels for all four.
I hate the 351s and I don't know what to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
TheBoostedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i/E92 M3/F12 650iX/E30/ E32

Did you calculate your rolling diameter with the new wheels? I have a 20" staggered setup on my F13 650iX and do not seem to have an issue. I believe the rule is within 1% or less.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoostedOne View Post
Did you calculate your rolling diameter with the new wheels? I have a 20" staggered setup on my F13 650iX and do not seem to have an issue. I believe the rule is within 1% or less.
BMW shop foreman told me it's 0.3 and he said that's ok
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
gmusquiz
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin_kh View Post
Hi,

For the past 9 months, I have been trying to put style 373 wheels on my car. BMW told me you can't put them on your car based on the VIN of my car and I told them F06 comes with those. I kept those on my car for 6 months and the transmission wasn't as smooth as it was with those 19" (style 351 non staggered). Especially, when I drove on hills it got a lot worse, the car shook.
The only thing I changed on 373 is instead of 245-275 I put 255-285. BMW shop foreman told me I should either put the original size (245-275) or put the same size wheels for all four.
If the new wheels are staggered, it would be worse to put same size tires front and back. And the width of the tires won't matter as much as the aspect ratio (the second number on the tire size, e.g. 245/30/20) and the type of tire you chose. If it's a run flat and the aspect ratio is smaller then you will likely get a rougher ride where as a larger aspect ratio and non run flats should be softer. I'm assuming they were balanced correctly and rechecked when your problems arose?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmusquiz View Post
Quote:
Hi,

If the new wheels are staggered, it would be worse to put same size tires front and back. And the width of the tires won't matter as much as the aspect ratio (the second number on the tire size, e.g. 245/30/20) and the type of tire you chose. If it's a run flat and the aspect ratio is smaller then you will likely get a rougher ride where as a larger aspect ratio and non run flats should be softer.
The original size is 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear. I tried to keep the 30mm difference between front and rear tires and the ratios are the same as the factory size. I put 255/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear. I was gonna put 255/35/20 for all four with the same rim width 9".
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
gmusquiz
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

If the new wheels are staggered, it would be worse to put same size tires front and back. And the width of the tires won't matter as much as the aspect ratio (the second number on the tire size, e.g. 245/30/20) and the type of tire you chose. If it's a run flat and the aspect ratio is smaller then you will likely get a rougher ride where as a larger aspect ratio and non run flats should be softer.
The original size is 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear. I tried to keep the 30mm difference between front and rear tires and the ratios are the same as the factory size. I put 255/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear. I was gonna put 255/35/20 for all four with the same rim width 9".
If the wheels are all the same width, then you should run all four tires the same. I have stock 373s and they are supposed to be 8.5 inches wide in the front and 9 inches wide in the rear which is why the tires are staggered.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just to rule out some simple/common mishaps...have you verified (double-checked) that the wider tires were mounted on the wider (rear) wheels...and that the wheel/tire combos were mounted in the correct location (narrower wheel/tires on front axle...wider wheel & tires on rear axle)?

Again, I've seen mismatched staggered tires/wheels occur...so if you're having issues...for peace of mind...just do a double check to verify that you can rule this out as the cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
If the new wheels are staggered, it would be worse to put same size tires front and back. And the width of the tires won't matter as much as the aspect ratio (the second number on the tire size, e.g. 245/30/20) and the type of tire you chose. If it's a run flat and the aspect ratio is smaller then you will likely get a rougher ride where as a larger aspect ratio and non run flats should be softer. I'm assuming they were balanced correctly and rechecked when your problems arose?
It is perfectly acceptable to put the same size tires on the staggered 373 wheels. The wheels are 8.5" front, 9" rear. I run 255/35/20 winter tires on them, front and rear, without issue. There isn't one tire size that fits each width wheel. Wheels can take a range of sizes. The car doesn't have any idea what the width of the tires are, and doesn't care. Its the diameter of tires that is most important

Quote:
If the wheels are all the same width, then you should run all four tires the same. I have stock 373s and they are supposed to be 8.5 inches wide in the front and 9 inches wide in the rear which is why the tires are staggered.
I believe that 373 wheels come in a staggered version and a non-staggered version, so you may want to double check what you actually have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to rule out some simple/common mishaps...have you verified (double-checked) that the wider tires were mounted on the wider (rear) wheels...and that the wheel/tire combos were mounted in the correct location (narrower wheel/tires on front axle...wider wheel & tires on rear axle)?

Again, I've seen mismatched staggered tires/wheels occur...so if you're having issues...for peace of mind...just do a double check to verify that you can rule this out as the cause.
This is all good advice.

Assuming your wheels and tires are all mounted where they are supposed to be, tire shake and perceived problems of that nature are going to be due to bad balancing or a tire with broken cords. If your dealer is telling you you cant put 373 wheels on a 6 series, even though you can order them from the factory that way, your dealer is an idiot, and that fact should be in the forefront of your mind every time they open their mouth.

Do yourself a favor and take your car to a true tire professional and have your tires re-balanced. Also, you should have stuck with the stock tire size for 373 wheels of 245/35, 275/30. These cars chew up rear tires a lot faster than they eat front tires, so that minor diameter discrepancy you started with will grow over time, creating the potential for transmission issues.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just last week I aligned and balanced the car. You're right it could be, but I checked mine they're right.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
Quote:
It is perfectly acceptable to put the same size tires on the staggered 373 wheels. The wheels are 8.5" front, 9" rear. I run 255/35/20 winter tires on them, front and rear, without issue. There isn't one tire size that fits each width wheel. Wheels can take a range of sizes. The car doesn't have any idea what the width of the tires are, and doesn't care. Its the diameter of tires that is most important

Quote:
I believe that 373 wheels come in a staggered version and a non-staggered version, so you may want to double check what you actually have.

Quote:

This is all good advice.

Assuming your wheels and tires are all mounted where they are supposed to be, tire shake and perceived problems of that nature are going to be due to bad balancing or a tire with broken cords. If your dealer is telling you you cant put 373 wheels on a 6 series, even though you can order them from the factory that way, your dealer is an idiot, and that fact should be in the forefront of your mind every time they open their mouth.

Do yourself a favor and take your car to a true tire professional and have your tires re-balanced. Also, you should have stuck with the stock tire size for 373 wheels of 245/35, 275/30. These cars chew up rear tires a lot faster than they eat front tires, so that minor diameter discrepancy you started with will grow over time, creating the potential for transmission issues.
So you think it's ok if I put 255 on all four of them even they're staggered?
I was gonna change the from rims to 9" and put 255 on all four.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
So you think it's ok if I put 255 on all four of them even they're staggered?
I was gonna change the from rims to 9" and put 255 on all four.
I have 255/35 on my staggered 373 wheels with no issues at all.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0