BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

650i Coupe: Individual and M-Sport

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Good morning all -
(edit: when I started writing this, it was still morning!)

Although I just joined and this is my first post, I've been reading for a while all of the F12/F13 (and M6) info that I can soak in. Fell in love with BMW with my first manual '93 325i sedan, then went to a 2001 325Ci, 2006 K1200R (Motorbike), and my last beemer which I just traded 2 months ago to get my wife an MB GL550, a 2010 X6 xDrive 35i. Being BMW-less is difficult for me, hence why I've been lurking on here relentlessly the past few weeks.

I have a question regarding 650xi Coupe color/interior choices vs. 640i Gran Coupe (which are much more flexible in my opinion)

The short version:

Does anyone with more knowledge than I, based on previous history, insider knowledge, omnipotence, know if BMW might allow a custom order 650i with the M Sport package, BMW Individual Ruby Black, and BMW Individual Amaro Brown leather? (Piano black is already possible as standalone trim)?
Follow-up to the above, if no, what is the likelyhood of 640i configuration to trickle down to 650i at some point in the future (next 4 months ) ?

The long version:

Based on a few factors, I've fixated on the 650i XDrive coupe as my next vehicle. My issue is this: I am in love with the BMW Individual paint options and interior (Ruby Black / Amaro Brown full leather ), while at the same time, I really like the look of the M-Sport body panels (front, sides, and rear with the higher reflectors); the root of my problem is that from talking to some sales guys and playing with the configurator, it appears on the 650i Coupe/Vert models, it is not possible to order a BMW M-Sport package with the BMW Individual package together, nor any combination of bits and pieces of both.

I've found a glimmer of hope in that the bmwusa.com 640i Gran Coupe configurator allows you to cherry pick the Ruby Black paint, the Amaro Brown leather, and the Piano Black trim, all without the actual "BMW Individual Package" - thus allowing you to pay for those options separately, AND add the M-Sport package, getting what (for me) would be the best of both worlds.

Searching google and reading through forums has yielded absolutely nothing, with information and even pics of the individual colors and interiors seemingly quite rare, let alone anything about ordering that which is not obvious on the BMW websites.

Hence, my question - has anyone done this type of a custom order before? And also, since it is available on 640i Gran Coupe, is there a chance they will modify the 650i options to allow this greater flexibility as well?

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to being a part of the community.

ddk632

Last edited by ddk632; 03-27-2012 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Add funny comment
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Good morning all -
(edit: when I started writing this, it was still morning!)

Although I just joined and this is my first post, I've been reading for a while all of the F12/F13 (and M6) info that I can soak in. Fell in love with BMW with my first manual '93 325i sedan, then went to a 2001 325Ci, 2006 K1200R (Motorbike), and my last beemer which I just traded 2 months ago to get my wife an MB GL550, a 2010 X6 xDrive 35i. Being BMW-less is difficult for me, hence why I've been lurking on here relentlessly the past few weeks.

I have a question regarding 650xi Coupe color/interior choices vs. 640i Gran Coupe (which are much more flexible in my opinion)

The short version:

Does anyone with more knowledge than I, based on previous history, insider knowledge, omnipotence, know if BMW might allow a custom order 650i with the M Sport package, BMW Individual Ruby Black, and BMW Individual Amaro Brown leather? (Piano black is already possible as standalone trim)?
Follow-up to the above, if no, what is the likelyhood of 640i configuration to trickle down to 650i at some point in the future (next 4 months ) ?

The long version:

Based on a few factors, I've fixated on the 650i XDrive coupe as my next vehicle. My issue is this: I am in love with the BMW Individual paint options and interior (Ruby Black / Amaro Brown full leather ), while at the same time, I really like the look of the M-Sport body panels (front, sides, and rear with the higher reflectors); the root of my problem is that from talking to some sales guys and playing with the configurator, it appears on the 650i Coupe/Vert models, it is not possible to order a BMW M-Sport package with the BMW Individual package together, nor any combination of bits and pieces of both.

I've found a glimmer of hope in that the bmwusa.com 640i Gran Coupe configurator allows you to cherry pick the Ruby Black paint, the Amaro Brown leather, and the Piano Black trim, all without the actual "BMW Individual Package" - thus allowing you to pay for those options separately, AND add the M-Sport package, getting what (for me) would be the best of both worlds.

Searching google and reading through forums has yielded absolutely nothing, with information and even pics of the individual colors and interiors seemingly quite rare, let alone anything about ordering that which is not obvious on the BMW websites.

Hence, my question - has anyone done this type of a custom order before? And also, since it is available on 640i Gran Coupe, is there a chance they will modify the 650i options to allow this greater flexibility as well?

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to being a part of the community.

ddk632
Hi,

BMW is targeting the Gran Coupe differently from the 6er coupe, so that is part of the reasoning for more flexibility. The GC is meant to be a customizable car with the premium that comes with flexibility. Also, the case is usually that Msport kits only come in certain colors, hence the info you see on the website. However, id be willing to bet that you can still order any color you want on the 650xi, but it will be significantly more than what you find offered by bmw in the GC site. It may be somewhere between $3k+$5K for just the paint color option if you go that route. I dont think you will be able to get the interior though unless you get a full indi package, and tha tis big bucks. You may want to call your dealer and ask if there are any priority 1 color options available for the Xi. Another option you may consider is buying the base car in the indi colors you want, and then buying the Msport body kit and have it painted and installed. Its certainly possible, but costly.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Hi,

BMW is targeting the Gran Coupe differently from the 6er coupe, so that is part of the reasoning for more flexibility. The GC is meant to be a customizable car with the premium that comes with flexibility. Also, the case is usually that Msport kits only come in certain colors, hence the info you see on the website. However, id be willing to bet that you can still order any color you want on the 650xi, but it will be significantly more than what you find offered by bmw in the GC site. It may be somewhere between $3k+$5K for just the paint color option if you go that route. I dont think you will be able to get the interior though unless you get a full indi package, and tha tis big bucks. You may want to call your dealer and ask if there are any priority 1 color options available for the Xi. Another option you may consider is buying the base car in the indi colors you want, and then buying the Msport body kit and have it painted and installed. Its certainly possible, but costly.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check with the dealer about Priority 1 color options - thanks for that info.

As far as ordering base coupe and then matching M-sport body panels, aside from the expense (plus labor, etc) I'd be concerned about getting the exact match on the Ruby Black.

Although that would be cheaper than ordering the 640i GC with the exact color configuration I like, and then having 2 of the doors cut off

If/when I find out anything I'll post back on this thread also in case others have the same questions.

BTW, on the 640i GC, I should have mentioned that the Individual paint colors are available as part of the M-Sport package, while the Amaro Brown (and a few other individual leather options) is a standalone $5k option, so the paint colors aren't exactly stand-alone, they are just being offered as part of either package.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Welcome!

I don't really have any helpful knowledge about your situation. I would've loved to have the Individual Interior with M Sport, but, as you said, it isn't possible on BYO, and I hated to look too deeply into it as that would have tempted me to spend the extra $$$, which I really didn't want/need to do.

I'm not familiar with BMWs history regarding making these changes for later model years, but it does make sense to me that they might not make this available for the coupe/convertible like they do on the GC. They're really pushing the GC as the ultimate BMW, so, like the engine bump, I think they'll probably keep that GC-exclusive. Hopefully someone knows something I don't (which is very possible ) and they'll let you do it in the future.

As a 650xi coupe owner, welcome to the club, and you're going to love this car. The acceleration, traction, and handling are unreal for a GT car like this. Make sure you get M Sport and Full LEDs. The car isn't quite the same without them - especially the M Sport since you get the brilliant exhaust. I wasn't an exhaust person until this car, but BMW has somehow tunes a noise that is savage-but-not-obnoxious, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check with the dealer about Priority 1 color options - thanks for that info.

As far as ordering base coupe and then matching M-sport body panels, aside from the expense (plus labor, etc) I'd be concerned about getting the exact match on the Ruby Black.

Although that would be cheaper than ordering the 640i GC with the exact color configuration I like, and then having 2 of the doors cut off

If/when I find out anything I'll post back on this thread also in case others have the same questions.

BTW, on the 640i GC, I should have mentioned that the Individual paint colors are available as part of the M-Sport package, while the Amaro Brown (and a few other individual leather options) is a standalone $5k option, so the paint colors aren't exactly stand-alone, they are just being offered as part of either package.

On the option to buy the M sport body kit, and the color match question, what I meant was, you buy the kit and then you have it sprayed by BMW, so the color match would be exact.

Regarding the GC, yes thanks. I understood you as I almost bought one last week before deciding on the 335i, but thats another story. They are targeting the car to be individual so that is the reasoning they allow the purchase of the indi colors on the Msport kits. The leather option is pricy, but that also includes the full leather package(meaning doors, central areas, and dash) so the 5K isnt far off the regular price for the upgraded packages. They're very nice, but....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

In Canada you could mix m sport and individual on the 6 and the 7 series. I am assuming they are going to start doing this in US with the GC , the 7 lci and possibly the 6 coupe and convertible.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
In Canada you could mix m sport and individual on the 6 and the 7 series. I am assuming they are going to start doing this in US with the GC , the 7 lci and possibly the 6 coupe and convertible.
I went to the bmw.ca configurator and couldn't even find anything about individual on there. The packages are quite different, it seems. Does BMW Individual have a different name in CA, or it's just something you know when talking to dealers?

It seems waiting for 2013 650xi might be worthwhile; my only problem is current lease is up in July, hence why I'm doing all my procrastination, I mean research, now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the option to buy the M sport body kit, and the color match question, what I meant was, you buy the kit and then you have it sprayed by BMW, so the color match would be exact.
Ahh, I had not even thought of that! Good point.

Quote:
Regarding the GC, yes thanks. I understood you as I almost bought one last week before deciding on the 335i, but thats another story. They are targeting the car to be individual so that is the reasoning they allow the purchase of the indi colors on the Msport kits. The leather option is pricy, but that also includes the full leather package(meaning doors, central areas, and dash) so the 5K isnt far off the regular price for the upgraded packages. They're very nice, but....
I think the leather option is worth the cash (whether it's the Nappa with instrument panel or the Individual full leather). With the price range of this car, it just feels plain wrong to see that much plastic in the interior.

Either way for a lease I think, I will rather drop my self-imposed needs and just go with something that is attainable from a direct order versus taking the time, money, and energy to hack together my version of the BMW 650xi "Mindividual". Knowing myself, by the time I get the car, I won't want to mess with it at that point. Just have to decide which is more important - interior luxury or exterior styling.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Welcome!

I don't really have any helpful knowledge about your situation. I would've loved to have the Individual Interior with M Sport, but, as you said, it isn't possible on BYO, and I hated to look too deeply into it as that would have tempted me to spend the extra $$$, which I really didn't want/need to do.

I'm not familiar with BMWs history regarding making these changes for later model years, but it does make sense to me that they might not make this available for the coupe/convertible like they do on the GC. They're really pushing the GC as the ultimate BMW, so, like the engine bump, I think they'll probably keep that GC-exclusive. Hopefully someone knows something I don't (which is very possible ) and they'll let you do it in the future.

As a 650xi coupe owner, welcome to the club, and you're going to love this car. The acceleration, traction, and handling are unreal for a GT car like this. Make sure you get M Sport and Full LEDs. The car isn't quite the same without them - especially the M Sport since you get the brilliant exhaust. I wasn't an exhaust person until this car, but BMW has somehow tunes a noise that is savage-but-not-obnoxious, if that makes sense.
Thanks - the Full LED's are definitely a must, I've seen them in person and it's a whole different look. As far as M-Sport though it's hard to say right now, I am torn between that and the BMW Individual interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks - the Full LED's are definitely a must, I've seen them in person and it's a whole different look. As far as M-Sport though it's hard to say right now, I am torn between that and the BMW Individual interior.
Individual is definitely beautiful and unique, and the styling of Individual works well with the non-M body styling.

However... M Sport gives you the brilliant exhaust (opposed to the muted non-M exhaust), the thick M steering wheel, and an overall more aggressive car. All of these things are completely subjective, personal decisions, but I was just amazed at the difference M Sport makes. I added the package just wanting the exterior styling, but the exhaust and steering wheel make a huge difference in the feel of the car.

Can't go wrong either way. Just depends on the type of car you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: B3s, Ranger Rover Sport, S550

Quote:
I went to the bmw.ca configurator and couldn't even find anything about individual on there. The packages are quite different, it seems. Does BMW Individual have a different name in CA, or it's just something you know when talking to dealers?

It seems waiting for 2013 650xi might be worthwhile; my only problem is current lease is up in July, hence why I'm doing all my procrastination, I mean research, now.

that's becuz it is not "officially" offered by BMW, but if you ask your dealer to add individual pack in your Msport, they would do it, and each dealer has different pricing on individual, I think it's silly that it is not done by "proper" channel thus the differences in listing prices; you could order pretty much whatever you want here in Canada, as long as you are willing to pay a lot. haha

a fully loaded Msport 6 with individual interior leather and trim here in Canada cost just a bit under CAN$150000
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Individual is totally worth it, if I were to order the 6GC I would definitely get the individual. here is our 7 individual.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tekdesi...7628021216722/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Individual is totally worth it, if I were to order the 6GC I would definitely get the individual. here is our 7 individual.

That is a gorgeous interior. Some nice detail shots, by the way; one of my favorites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tekdesi...57628021216722

I am definitely leaning towards 650i with individual, over the M-Sport. Curious, most individual cars from my understanding have to be ordered as they are not likely to be sitting on dealer lots, correct? Does this impact price/MSRP negotiations negatively?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMtheJJ View Post
that's becuz it is not "officially" offered by BMW, but if you ask your dealer to add individual pack in your Msport, they would do it, and each dealer has different pricing on individual, I think it's silly that it is not done by "proper" channel thus the differences in listing prices; you could order pretty much whatever you want here in Canada, as long as you are willing to pay a lot. haha

a fully loaded Msport 6 with individual interior leather and trim here in Canada cost just a bit under CAN$150000
Wow that's sounds like M6 territory, doesn't it? I have been wondering myself, as my US 650i build is hitting over 113k, if the US M6 pricing will be announced next month during NYIAS, and depending on how many 650i options become standard on M6, it might only be 10k-$15k more to get the M6 with similar options. Only speculating of course but it's nice to dream
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I think that is the nicest looking BMW Interior I have ever seen - absolutely stunning. What color is that on the outside?

As for special orders and negotiations, I got a very good deal when I ordered my car last November. My dealer didn't have a very big selection of 6ers, especially coupes, and none of them with xDrive, so I had no choice other than to order. There were some great incentives going on (Mission to Drive Sales Event) at the time, but I don't think I could've gotten a better deal if I bought from stock. They didn't have any money tied up in this car, and I gave them a $5000 deposit with my order. They essentially just had to do some paperwork to sell this car. That was just my dealership, and they were great to work with. Professionalism may not be universal, but the reality of special orders is. My understanding is that the wait for ordering these cars has increased significanly (particularly in some places in Europe), so I suppose they could try to force your hand in buying off the lot so they don't have to wait so long to get the sale.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I think that is the nicest looking BMW Interior I have ever seen - absolutely stunning. What color is that on the outside?

As for special orders and negotiations, I got a very good deal when I ordered my car last November. My dealer didn't have a very big selection of 6ers, especially coupes, and none of them with xDrive, so I had no choice other than to order. There were some great incentives going on (Mission to Drive Sales Event) at the time, but I don't think I could've gotten a better deal if I bought from stock. They didn't have any money tied up in this car, and I gave them a $5000 deposit with my order. They essentially just had to do some paperwork to sell this car. That was just my dealership, and they were great to work with. Professionalism may not be universal, but the reality of special orders is. My understanding is that the wait for ordering these cars has increased significanly (particularly in some places in Europe), so I suppose they could try to force your hand in buying off the lot so they don't have to wait so long to get the sale.
The outside is Citrin black another great color. it has a brown tint this is by far my favorite BMW black color.

On the special orders, it is fairly similar to regular cars, we paid $300 over invoice for this special order, and about .35% interest on the lease over the published rates.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is a gorgeous interior. Some nice detail shots, by the way; one of my favorites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tekdesi...57628021216722

I am definitely leaning towards 650i with individual, over the M-Sport. Curious, most individual cars from my understanding have to be ordered as they are not likely to be sitting on dealer lots, correct? Does this impact price/MSRP negotiations negatively?
Thank you, in the next few days I will be posting pics of our R8 V10 Audi Exclusive. Just finished detailing it. We got red stitching and red piping on the carpet and carbon fiber almost every where. Hope to get a lot of detail shots.

As far as MSRP and Price , you can negotiate as any regular car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you, in the next few days I will be posting pics of our R8 V10 Audi Exclusive. Just finished detailing it. We got red stitching and red piping on the carpet and carbon fiber almost every where. Hope to get a lot of detail shots.

As far as MSRP and Price , you can negotiate as any regular car.
Can't wait to see the R8. The 750Li is beautiful. That Individual color combination is one of my favorites. The 7er has come so far in its offerings it seems hard to believe there is still a market for the RR Ghost. I'd rather have your 7 and another great car than a Ghost, which is pretty much the 760Li with RR badging and materials.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow that's sounds like M6 territory, doesn't it? I have been wondering myself, as my US 650i build is hitting over 113k, if the US M6 pricing will be announced next month during NYIAS, and depending on how many 650i options become standard on M6, it might only be 10k-$15k more to get the M6 with similar options. Only speculating of course but it's nice to dream

no kidding, it's very expensive here in Canada comparing to the States, and I know for a fact the M6 would be less than 30000 more than a 650xi, so probably around 20000 for the US market.

I prefer a fully loaded 650xi to a M6 actually, what I really hate is carbon fiber interior (I think too much carbon fiber is really tacky and unnecessary for interior except bucket seats and other heavier items, how much weight can they save over the trims? but i do understand if someone truly prefers that look), no LED fog lights, quad tail pipes, and that penis looking gear shifter sitting on a little silver hump (in comparison, 650 looks much more sophisticated, and ceramic controls really add a special look, feel and touch to it). and I don't think many of the added features would be standard on the M6 actually...

Last edited by HMtheJJ; 03-30-2012 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

really depends on the dealer, if they are big and willing to show case special cars, if they have that clientele

I've seen a few individual cars at local dealers, but like i said, depending on the dealer and the buyers, here in Vancouver, there is that big demand, so the dealers are willing to order something more special
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

i love your 750Li individual interior colour choice, I do love that piano black trim with cream or white leather; however; only good for a show car, as in real world use, it's beyond the pain in the ass. piano black trims are the EASIEST to get scratched and it SHOWS, and on that light leather, no matter how expensive your jeans are, Hermès, LV, DG or Gianni Versace, what have you, if they are dyed, you bet it'll leave colour on your leather. As much as I love those show stopping interior colours, I've had way too many bad memories lol

I'm considering champagne full merino leather, it's kinda in the middle of light and dark, which has that impressive look also much easier to clean

i'm an Alpina guy, and some of the combos are pretty amazing, but too bad won't be able to import one here
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMtheJJ View Post
i love your 750Li individual interior colour choice, I do love that piano black trim with cream or white leather; however; only good for a show car, as in real world use, it's beyond the pain in the ass. piano black trims are the EASIEST to get scratched and it SHOWS, and on that light leather, no matter how expensive your jeans are, Hermès, LV, DG or Gianni Versace, what have you, if they are dyed, you bet it'll leave colour on your leather. As much as I love those show stopping interior colours, I've had way too many bad memories lol

I'm considering champagne full merino leather, it's kinda in the middle of light and dark, which has that impressive look also much easier to clean

i'm an Alpina guy, and some of the combos are pretty amazing, but too bad won't be able to import one here
washing before wearing the jeans has kind of helped on the dye transfer problems. Also it has been pretty easy to maintain the white leather with this stuff. This stuff is crazy when it comes to removing denim dye , dirt on the seats. Once a month spray on the seats and rub it in a with a leather brush wait 30 minutes and wipe down with a warm towel and your seats look brand new again. When I see dye transfer on the seat I just use this and it is back to normal.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Leather...-P64/16-oz-S1/

The piano black on the 7 is a POS though, scratches very easily sort of like the first gen iPod

We had the white interior on the M3 as well, but the quality of the piano trim is less than that of the 7 but was more resilient to scratches.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tekdesi...7627494256322/

If we end up getting the 6GC I want to try the opal white which is even whiter than the platinum almost has no yellow tint in the leather,
Appreciate 0