BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
M6Hoggers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe F13

Older iDrive/SatNav in 2012 M6

I've just bought a 2012 M6 Coupe to replace my 2014 640d (which was good but not sporting enough for me).

I've noticed some differences in the iDrive and SatNav options that were there on the 2014 640d but not on the 2012 M6.

I have TMC and not RTTI - does that mean Connected isn't activated?
I can't call a phone number using my voice ('Call John' on the steering wheel)
The menus look older
I can't enter an address using my voice from the enter destination screen - there was a button you could press on screen.
It is very slow indeed - when changing map scale for instance
The phone call quality is worse and it drops a lot of calls
I'm wondering now if I'll get Spotify etc on the Apps

The M6 is a July 2012 build so very early.

I had an October 2012 5 series with ProNav and it was more up to date than this.

I've done the software update but it seems the same on the menus.

What options do I have to get the latest iDrive etc?

The dealer said only the software update via USB but that doesn't appear to do much.

Thanks
      04-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
adamg13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Sounds like it has the hardware shared by pre-LCI 5/7 series. Once the 5/7 underwent their mid cycle update in 2013, they received updated idrive hardware and software, which passed on to the 6 pretty shortly after it had begun production. The M is always a little behind the 6 when it comes to cabin tech (takes about an extra MY). I had a 2011 and 2013 750, and the idrive system was markedly quicker in the 13 due to additional processing power. This enabled it to show additional detail on the maps etc. I'd contact BimmerTech and see what they can do, as I've seen success stories from others retrofitting their vehicles through them in the past. Personally didn't notice a big enough difference between the two systems to care, though. Voice control should still be there, as all of my BMW since my 2007 had that.
Appreciate 0