BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

K40 RLS2 Radar Detector Experience??

Anyone tried this to get experience with the claim that the false alerts go away even if you have blind spot warning radar?

Basically, I found this by accident. My old detector kept going off. Then I realized our new 6 has the blind spot warning. When our Benz had this option it didn't set off this detector; weird. So anyway, K40 is supposed to be great but looking for feedback on any experience.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of threads on hard wiring it to the rear view mirror or something, but any help appreciated. Last thing: where is the best location on the windshield to put it? Up by the mirror? Ideas appreciated.

http://www.k40.com/rls2-radar-detector-pages-198.php
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

I use the V1 and because I am in southern Cali police only use Ka radar, so i turned off K and X, I get no false alerts that way, only when the V1 smells the bacon!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

IMO, V1 is the best and upgradable. It ignores blind spot detection systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

So what's a ballpark for a V1? Is it remote install or windshield mount? This K40 is available to me for 1/2 price at $200! Pretty decent deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
IMO, V1 is the best and upgradable. It ignores blind spot detection systems.
+1 (IMO). I love the upgrade feature with the V1. Although they claim to modify your existing unit when you upgrade, it seems to me like they just give you a new one. $400 new, with the cost of upgrades depending upon the age of the unit.

There was a huge difference when we upgraded to get the junk k-band filter (which is in all the new ones). We rarely get false alarms now, and our car has all the nanny radar features (blind spot detection, etc.). Also, we don't think we could ever live without those arrows. We have ours mounted on the upper right of the rear-view mirror. If I ever get the time, I will try to hardwire it into a mirror-located power source.

I apologize that I cannot answer the original question, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I also mount mine to the windshield above the mirror to the right (passenger side). This gives it a far look of the road ahead and a clear view behind (which other detectors don't need, since they can't look behind).

For hardwire, I ran the cord across the header, down the A pillar and into the fuse panel (with a plug-in tap). This way I didn't have to open up the overhead unit. I placed the remote splitter box and extra wire back in the fuse panel area, behind the glove box cover and ran the remote display wire cross-car to under the light switch. I Velcro'd the remote display to the underside of the trim panel there. Somewhere on these forums there are instructions on how to do this (not by me) that are similar to what I did. I posted pictures of my final results also. Just search V1or hardwire. I think you'll find them.

Oh, since I removed my V1 from the 650i, waiting for the M5 to arrive, I sent it to Valentine for "upgrade". The website was clear, after entering my serial number, that I would get a brand new unit as my hardware was to old for upgrades. With S&H it cost me $300 vs $400+S&H for new (first time buyer).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

This is all great information. I've never looked into the V1 much but it seems the way to go. The new bluetooth iPhone link looks like it might be a better option than the remote box as it shows all the data on the phone screen and you can keep the V1 box in dark mode. I think I'll have to figure out the best iPhone holder before I commit though. Thanks again for the opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

The remote display also renders the main display dark. I also like the iPhone link and app (more data than remote display), but have been struggling with where to mount the phone. Let me know what you come up with.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

This mount looks pretty slick.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/kenu-a...-6-plus-mount/
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've seen that one and it looks nice, but I use a similar version in my work/fleet cars and I've messed up a couple vents! Don't want to do that in my 6 for sure. I think that the location of the cup holder is making me lean more toward a version that will sit in there.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Sm.../dp/B00M4LV5H0

EDIT: there is a "short arm" version of this also, same brand. I ordered both and will see which sits at the correct height so I can still get to the dash controls.

Last edited by troymi; 04-02-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow. That thing looks pretty robust.

Yeah I was worried about the vent supporting my iPhone 6 plus. You have confirmed my suspicions.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Quote:
For hardwire, I ran the cord across the header, down the A pillar and into the fuse panel (with a plug-in tap). This way I didn't have to open up the overhead unit. I placed the remote splitter box and extra wire back in the fuse panel area, behind the glove box cover and ran the remote display wire cross-car to under the light switch. I Velcro'd the remote display to the underside of the trim panel there. Somewhere on these forums there are instructions on how to do this (not by me) that are similar to what I did. I posted pictures of my final results also. Just search V1or hardwire. I think you'll find them.
Great idea, Bonz. I'll definitely check it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
I've s een that one and it loo ks nice, but I use a similar version in my work/fleet cars and I've messed up a couple vents! Don't want to do that in my 6 for sure. I think that the location of the cup holder is making me lean more toward a version that will sit in there.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Sm.../dp/B00M4LV5H0

EDIT: there is a "short arm" version of this also, same brand. I ordered both and will see which sits at the correct height so I can still get to the dash controls.
Wow! That holder is so cool. I have got to get one of the long and short reach ones. It's not like I need one of those all the time. But if I were using a V1 or any other device that displayed that device's info on my phone this is something I would want to have. Heck, if I was just making a bunch of calls from phone numbers I had in email (do this every now and then) I'd love to have something like this. That long arm version looks like it would get any visual alert you get from the phone up into your immediate peripheral vision without exposing the fact you have one to someone driving behind you - in case it's not permissible where you are driving (see below).

In addition to all those vents looking so flimsy, it gets very hot around here and I really like staying cool. In fact it gets hot enough that sometimes the AC has a bit of trouble cooling the car down or even maintaining it once it gets there, especially after some time in a sunny parking lot. No way would I even put something slightly overlapping a vent, let alone right in front of it. I sure wish it was different though. I love some of those incredibly cool gauge packages I have seen - I sure wish there was another place to put one of them.

Anyway, thank you troymi for the heads up on this holder! I definitely owe you one for this link.

A word of caution to those mounting their radar detectors by the mirror or sun visor -
This may be old news to most of you but I hope it will help someone avoid trouble. About 30 years ago I lived in CT across the street from a retired Captain in the CT State Police. We lived at a crossroads: he was on one corner across the street from me and the place where I was working was across the other street. The shop was hopping up cars big time (mostly BMWs, VWs, Porsches and Audis but a few other makes too) and almost everybody coming to the shop was using a radar detector of one kind or another. At that time they were illegal in CT then (probably still are) so people were doing all sorts of things to hide them. The retired CT officer was a nearly like long friend and neighbor of my landlady so we all got along really well. He told us a favorite police trick (both state and the local ones that had moving radar - rare for locals back then) was to sneak up behind a car they suspected of using a detector with their radar in a standby mode, then turning it on suddenly to see the reaction of the driver. Generally they were able to see the detector's alert or watch the brake lights come on almost simultaneously with their radar unit. Either way they had the guy. Be careful where you put your detector in states where the use is illegal. My telling of what the officer told me was pretty benign. The police are pretty sharp. That afternoon I learned of some pretty sneaky stuff those guys did; if they weren't trying to enforce the law I'd say they were pretty dirty tricks and the way I drove in those days (had to test customer cars) I was very surprised I had not gotten a couple of tickets.

Good luck guys. I just had the break in service on my car done today and celebrated by a quick merge into the highway speed traffic right in front of the dealership. Wahoo!!! I was expecting fast, but not like that. I have driven faster cars before but only a couple that were much faster than this one. I just got out of a B7 so this was a bit of a surprise. It certainly gave me a whole new understanding of this word I keep hearing around here - beast. I know I am preaching to the choir here but talk about the Joy of Driving.

Last edited by chask; 04-03-2015 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's the beauty of the V1 remote display (or phone display). The display on the main unit goes dark.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #15
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I got both mounts yesterday and tried them both. The short version wins for now. I'm going to test it for a while before I send the other back. Well built and solid in the cup holder when you crank it in. Let's see if this pic will post from my phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0