BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #45
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Ok guys just heard back from AMS. They made my noise go away..So AMS believes they solved it but will know for sure tomorrow. It's the stock gasket. AMS said that people shouldn't be reusing them so they will include better or new gaskets in their downpipe kits when they ship them out along with instructions on using the new gasket instead of the old. they made my noise go away so they believe they solved it. I will have exact confirmation tomorrow when they install the gasket.. thanks for being patient and sorry we all had to go through some trouble because of this. Some more than others. Will post back tomorrow
I sure hope its this easy I really want to put these on my car but will not unless its 100% rattle free!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #46
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

My tech has been in contact with me and Hunter. I think this has to do with installation and technique. If you over tighten the turbo end it damages the gasket and also pulls away from the turbo causing the rattle to appear. Mine has been perfect for the most part, with only the wastegate noise more prominent. Lets get the final verdict from Hunter before we jump to any conclusions.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Car is fixed by replacing the donut gasket! AMS will be supplying the gaskets with every purchase of Downpipes. Case Closed! Everyone should make sure that they properly install everything and make sure the gaskets aren't damaged or compromised in any way especially if you take your exhaust off and on a lot... Thanks to everyone for sharing and thank you AMS for the resolution.

Here is the link to the gaskets

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=18&fg=10

On that drawing number 7 is the gasket you need to replace and the rattle is caused by number 6 flopping around.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 08-23-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #48
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Those of you who were following this rattling noise allegedly caused by or intensified by the AMS downpipes install, I will just say that I had my DP to exhaust gaskets replaced today and the noise is exactly the same. My tech was able to temporarily hold wastegates open and it turns out I have a 100% wastegate related rattle. To the BMW dealership I go...

Mark
      09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #49
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
Those of you who were following this rattling noise allegedly caused by or intensified by the AMS downpipes install, I will just say that I had my DP to exhaust gaskets replaced today and the noise is exactly the same. My tech was able to temporarily hold wastegates open and it turns out I have a 100% wastegate related rattle. To the BMW dealership I go...

Mark
And I guarantee you that it is completely related to AMS downpipes. They even look cheap. If you want some SERIOUSLY correct DPs which are double-walled with proper 400 cell catting, no smell, lots of power increase, no rattles (no special gaskets needed either), GREAT tone then call Ron Performing Imports. 770-641-6202. They are going to run you approx, $3500 including shipping. Yes, they are expensive and they are TOP OF THE LINE quality, no bs parts. This thread would not even exist if everyone used these.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #50
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post

Mark
Same issue here. Let me know what happens at the dealer. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #51
Joey26
Rep
Drives: BMW F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
This is interesting.... I've been experiencing a couple things on my M6 paired with full Meisterschaft GTC exhaust and AMS Catless downpipes.

I have a rattle very similar to Hunters which started the day I got the catless downpipes installed. When I had the Meisterschaft alone with stock DPs there was no issues. My rattle is very similar to Hunters but not as pronounced as his rattle, mine sounds like a loose coin inside the exhaust when decelerating .

However, I do have a horrible sound that resembles a old beater Honda Civic with exhaust issues. This horrible sound only occurs at low revs between 1500- 2500 RPM and especially while under load or going uphill (see video below)

Initially I took this issue to Meisterschaft and they immediately shipped me a brand new full system replacement. I arranged and had it installed the same day I received the new unit hoping the noise and rattle would be gone. Unfortunately, the noises were still there after the install.

The next step was to take it back to the shop that installed the AMS downpipes. They took a look and said the wastegates were causing the rattle. I immediately took the car to my local BMW dealer, they verified the concern and replaced both sets of turbos within a few days. When I picked up the car I was full of hope and expecting the issues to be resolved, unfortunately, the rattle was still there and the horrible noise was still there.

At this point I decided to remove the front and mid Meister sections and install the stock front and mid section to at least make the car drivable, I did leave the Meister rear cans in place though. The noise was 75-80% muffled but I could still hear it. In other words the root of the problem was still there but most of the sound was been hidden by the stock resonator.

Today, I went to EAS and had them remove the downpipes and reinstall them to see if an installation error was the issue. Sadly, the horrible noise and rattle was still there after all was said and done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the beastly sound of the Meistershaft and the catless downpipes when it is NOT making that embarrassing noise and thats precisley why I am fighting to get this issue taken care of, but I will remove the downpipes if that turns out to be the root of the problem.

I am still trying to figure this out guys and will keep you posted with the outcome. I just wanted to share my experience so far in case it would help anyone thats looking into getting the wastegates replaced.

I've attached the BMW dealer work order from when they replaced the turbos if anyone cares to see it as well.

Lui

Hey Lui
I got a x5m f85 now I kept the stock exhaust and installed super sprint catless downpipes
And I'm Experiencing the same horrible sound ( like an old car with a hole or a leak in the muffler) Especially if it's on comfort mode. as shown in your video and you are right it happens at 1500- 2500 RPM while under load or going uphill.
Did you by and chance find a fix for this issue ?
As my tuner thinks it something to Do with the turbo setup on all BMW M cars
Appreciate 0