BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-19-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
DavidS92
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D M Sport

Corrosion on Coils

Hi all,

Any cause for immediate concern? BMW health check found corrosion on the offside rear coil.

Anything recommendations to slow the inevitable?

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:37 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't think there is anything meaningful you can do. Paint won't work. Heavy grease might work, but will attract a lot of gunk. However, I don't think that will cause the spring to fail unless it gets a whole lot worse. At this point that is just cosmetic and would be sort of like some patches of dry skin causing your femur to snap. A spring breaking is caused by more than just that. Many pictures of snapped springs still have intact paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 05:10 PM   #3
DavidS92
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I don't think there is anything meaningful you can do. Paint won't work. Heavy grease might work, but will attract a lot of gunk. However, I don't think that will cause the spring to fail unless it gets a whole lot worse. At this point that is just cosmetic and would be sort of like some patches of dry skin causing your femur to snap. A spring breaking is caused by more than just that. Many pictures of snapped springs still have intact paint.
Thanks for the reply buddy. I'll just keep an eye on it then and hope it remains cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:05 AM   #4
Smooth6
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 640i

Aren't you supposed to have a boot where the shocks are. I imagine that's where you're getting the corrosion.? It's funny that you have this. I was just looking today at universal Motocross bike shock boots. As mine are
torn as well. Those seem like the best alternative as opposed to taking off the shock in the spring assembly and remounting a boot. Those ones there will slip in between the springs and wrap around the shaft.
Appreciate 0