BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Bmw gentleman function button

Everytime a passenger sits in my car i have to explain how the electric seat works.
Adding the difficulty of seeing the button located very low the result is that the passenger feel uncomfortable and stop trying to understand how to move the seat.

I was wondering if i can add a button somewhere in the driver seat or in the door to operate the passenger seat with my controls, giving the passenger the freedom of doing other stuff.

Does anyone think about this feature?
Is it possible?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

Adding controls sounds extremely unreasonable to resolve such a small overall inconvenience.

But if you're so inclined and have either the time to do it or the money to pay someone to custom do it, its just rerouting wires and a few buttons from one side of the interior to the other
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Just tell them set down shut up and hold on!

And don’t touch anything..

I just had to say that!

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
Everytime a passenger sits in my car i have to explain how the electric seat works.
Without more context as to the variations in size of your front passengers...it seems there are more simpler ways to make seating comfortable for them.

1. There are two memory settings...make one for average sized females and average size males (use your self and/or another person to verify basic comfort for an average size male and female) and memorize those seat settings. Then depending on if your "revolving door" of front passengers is male or female, have them select MEM 1 or MEM 2.

2. Do the above, and when you have a new passenger that is unfamiliar with your car...go to that side of the car and show them the controls and how to use them if the seat feels uncomfortable. It would be much easier to show them while parked and the door is open than when driving down the highway.

3. If your front passenger is above or below average and the memory settings you have (according to #1 above) doesn't apply to them...then as stated in #2...show them BEFORE driving off how to adjust the seat, or make sure the seat is comfortable for them by adjusting it for them while they are seated.

4. If you do #1 and make a male & female memory setting...I'm sure that at least one of the genders will appreciate your consideration of quickly adjusting the seat for them when you open the door...and if you need to make more adjustment to make sure they are comfortable after they have been seated...they will be REALLY appreciative of your attentiveness to their comfort (perhaps a win/win). And the other gender can appreciate your instruction to press the numbered memory button for a quick comfortable seat setting (especially if you now that it may be uncomfortable for them due to the last person that was sitting in the seat.

Just some thoughts that can somewhat accomplish the feat of passenger seat settings without having to re-wire the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Thank you guys and really thank you to qsilver.
I have asked because i've seen the function available in the 7 series and a lot of people retrofit the button to the 5 series.
Just wondering if there were any simple solution plus coding to enable such a simple feature.
I'm going to try the suggestion made by Qsilver and see how it goes.

By the way, in relation to the electrical seat, anyone knows if there is an option to completely automatize the movement of the electric seat without keeping the button pressed like when the car is turned off?

My car behave like this:
Engine off: if you press and immediately release button M1 or M2 the seat moves to the position memorized.
Engine on: you have to keep pressed the button the entire time to achieve the position recorded.

Would be appreciate to move ONLY the passenger side seat with the touch of a button.

Maybe I can find something in esys..
Appreciate 0