BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

///M6 engine failure at speed... but a good ending

Well, a few nights ago I was traveling on the interstate around highway speeds in the far right lane getting ready for my exit. Came up behind a couple slow pokes, so it was time to pass - accelerated hard (but not to kickdown), car dropped a gear and made the pass in a couple seconds. Of course, at that point I'm going faster and taking my exit, which is a sharp cloverleaf... start braking and pedal is a rock, look down and my tach shows zero... [insert various obscenities and pant stains here]. I stand on the brakes, muscle the steering with both arms and manage to make the curve by using all of the paved lane, the paved shoulder and a touch of the edge. Coast out and find a wide shoulder to get off the highway and calm my racing heart

Car wouldn't turn over and had to be towed - fast forward a few days. Dealer diagnoses a seized engine, with metal shavings in the oil pan/filter... says I need a new engine. Fortunately, I made the decision last summer to buy the extended warranty/service contract from BMW as my base warranty was running out... SA states that they've already received approval from BMW NA to order and install a new engine (said the engine part alone costs over $30K). So, very happy that I didn't wreck and will get a new engine for my baby at no cost.

Of course, I questioned the SA hard about why the engine blew but he doesn't have any answers for me yet. As a quick recap, I bought the '14 M6 vert with every option from an audi dealer in Scottsdale... it was as 3 year old garage queen with only 13k miles which had been owned by an older guy and driven lightly on weekends (he had traded it in on a RS7 b/c he needed more room)

My m6 has no engine/performance mods at all - only an Akra cat-back exhaust and cosmetic mod's. My driving profile is moderate - I daily drive 50+ miles in Atlanta traffic, so 90% of the time I keep all the settings in comfort and drive relaxed, with occasional acceleration bursts to get around slow-pokes sitting in the fast lane. On weekends I engage in spirited driving on back roads once in a while and drive a little fast at highway speeds in the rare case when traffic is light.

I've driven the m6 25k miles over the past 1.5 years since purchase. I'm religious about doubling up oil changes by having my indy do an "extra" oil change every 5k-6k miles (in b/n the bmw oil change intervals). Also OCD about not moving until after the engine start "idle-up" has dropped down to normal idle, and make sure to keep my rpms below 3k until after the engine is fully up to normal operating temps - have never launched it from a standing start and hardly ever floor it to kickdown.

Will hopefully get some more info from my SA about root cause after the engine is pulled and will keep this group posted. I'm quite troubled that a stock m6 blows the engine at 38k miles when driven consistent with normal operating parameters...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Did you get a launch control initiation count prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Was there any way to catch this problem prior to your purchase from Scottsdale?

And finally, prior to getting the extended warranty, did the dealership not do a thorough inspection of the vehicle to ensure they're risk was covered?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

This terrifies me..
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      06-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
oh jeeez. Thats scary. Thanks for sharing, pls keep us posted! 50k miles and counting w out warranty lol. I have a trackday coming up too haha!
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      06-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Did you get a launch control initiation count prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Was there any way to catch this problem prior to your purchase from Scottsdale?

And finally, prior to getting the extended warranty, did the dealership not do a thorough inspection of the vehicle to ensure they're risk was covered?
I know my post was long so maybe you missed it, but I bought the car 18 months ago and put 25,000 miles on it since purchase. When I bought it I did my diligence, got it inspected, reviewed all the service records, confirmed the early M service had been done, confirmed that it was eligible for extended warranty from BMW NA (it still had about 9 months left on the original base BMW warranty when I bought it), and reviewed the clean Carfax. The original owner had just traded it into the Penske-owned Audi dealership in North Scottsdale (reputable dealer in high-end local), but I also did some additional investigative searches to confirm the story the dealer told me (original owner loaded, 69 years old, retired, had special ordered the car and checked every option box). The car only had 13,000 miles put on it over 3 years and had been garaged. It was also 100% stock and had never been modded. Given these circumstances, I did not attempt to try to find out if it had ever been launched or read the "launch counter."

I don't believe there was any evidence of any problems when I purchased the car. I did get the oil changed 4 times and now I'm wishing I had been getting Blackstone oil analysis done at each change to see if there were any indicators of problems. I will probably do that with my new engine.

I bought the extended warranty from BMW a few weeks before the original 4 year warranty ran out (about 10 months ago). BMW does not require an inspection when you purchase an extended warranty from them, but they do review their own service records to confirm the early service for M cars (if required) and generally review for other appropriate servicing. BMW also requires that you purchase the extended warranty before the coverage on the original base warranty expires, so that eliminates allot of the problems faced by aftermarket warranty companies where customers identify problems later, then decide to try to buy warranties (thus inspections and waiting period requirements to have coverage).

I'm open to any other ideas on things I could have done, as this experience was a bit of a shock. Feel free to chime in with any other questions or thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
oh jeeez. Thats scary. Thanks for sharing, pls keep us posted! 50k miles and counting w out warranty lol. I have a trackday coming up too haha!
Yep - you and me both - will post anything new to this thread. When I've seen a few of these types of stories I always thought there were one in a thousand by guys that tuned/launched/tracked their cars, but now I know that's not always the case. I never tracked my m6 but I did drive it a couple of times on the twisties in north GA (I didn't get aggressive as I didn't want to wear out my CCBs too soon
Have fun at your track day and as they say "vaya con dios" (and with an extended warranty)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Damn you guys are scaring me! Ive been looking for a M6 GC and with these engine failures im starting to think twice.I will be getting rid of near perfect Merc e63s but I think I will take my chances
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I mostly blame the his avatar for the cause (Go Gators). That said, I would never own one of these cars w/o an extended warranty (mine expires 10/12; not sure what i will do). Engine failures are rare, and sometimes its just the luck of the draw, one weak component can lead to a cascade of failure.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      06-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I mostly blame the his avatar for the cause (Go Gators). That said, I would never own one of these cars w/o an extended warranty (mine expires 10/12; not sure what i will do). Engine failures are rare, and sometimes its just the luck of the draw, one weak component can lead to a cascade of failure.
maybe the U... that's better than any theory I've come up with.
With that line of thinking, your excessive oil consumption must be karma from being a gators fan.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

I talked to a shop that sells 1 s63 motor a month due to blown motors. They said they see this problem in cars that are both stock and tuned. Not really sure if there is a root cause... I think the only thing anyone can do is constant oil changes, warming up car, and occasional oil analysis testing
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmb View Post
Well, a few nights ago I was traveling on the interstate around highway speeds in the far right lane getting ready for my exit. Came up behind a couple slow pokes, so it was time to pass - accelerated hard (but not to kickdown), car dropped a gear and made the pass in a couple seconds. Of course, at that point I'm going faster and taking my exit, which is a sharp cloverleaf... start braking and pedal is a rock, look down and my tach shows zero... [insert various obscenities and pant stains here]. I stand on the brakes, muscle the steering with both arms and manage to make the curve by using all of the paved lane, the paved shoulder and a touch of the edge. Coast out and find a wide shoulder to get off the highway and calm my racing heart

Car wouldn't turn over and had to be towed - fast forward a few days. Dealer diagnoses a seized engine, with metal shavings in the oil pan/filter... says I need a new engine. Fortunately, I made the decision last summer to buy the extended warranty/service contract from BMW as my base warranty was running out... SA states that they've already received approval from BMW NA to order and install a new engine (said the engine part alone costs over $30K). So, very happy that I didn't wreck and will get a new engine for my baby at no cost.

Of course, I questioned the SA hard about why the engine blew but he doesn't have any answers for me yet. As a quick recap, I bought the '14 M6 vert with every option from an audi dealer in Scottsdale... it was as 3 year old garage queen with only 13k miles which had been owned by an older guy and driven lightly on weekends (he had traded it in on a RS7 b/c he needed more room)

My m6 has no engine/performance mods at all - only an Akra cat-back exhaust and cosmetic mod's. My driving profile is moderate - I daily drive 50+ miles in Atlanta traffic, so 90% of the time I keep all the settings in comfort and drive relaxed, with occasional acceleration bursts to get around slow-pokes sitting in the fast lane. On weekends I engage in spirited driving on back roads once in a while and drive a little fast at highway speeds in the rare case when traffic is light.

I've driven the m6 25k miles over the past 1.5 years since purchase. I'm religious about doubling up oil changes by having my indy do an "extra" oil change every 5k-6k miles (in b/n the bmw oil change intervals). Also OCD about not moving until after the engine start "idle-up" has dropped down to normal idle, and make sure to keep my rpms below 3k until after the engine is fully up to normal operating temps - have never launched it from a standing start and hardly ever floor it to kickdown.

Will hopefully get some more info from my SA about root cause after the engine is pulled and will keep this group posted. I'm quite troubled that a stock m6 blows the engine at 38k miles when driven consistent with normal operating parameters...

Just wondering was the car low on oil? Does your old engine burn oil between oil change? I always check my oil before I drive it because of these stories.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

This is insane. Now I will need to check my oil level once a week
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:

Did you notice anything odd with your car prior to this event? I hear this light knock after driving that car for a while. It gets a bit louder when an engine is started after a long dive. I had BMW mechanic listen to it, and he said it was normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
This is insane. Now I will need to check my oil level once a week
If you are interested you can buy an OBDII WiFI adapter and purchase bimmerlink. You can monitor various oil level sensors with it and see if you are running low and even make on-the-fly measurements of your oil level. There is an oil pressure sensor there available as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #15
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Quote:
maybe the U... that's better than any theory I've come up with.
With that line of thinking, your excessive oil consumption must be karma from being a gators fan.
True, but what's worse is my wife and son are semiholes.

Good luck with the engine replacement.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      06-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Odd, most Seminoles M6s are just fine
      06-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My wife's a Gator, so my M6's diagnosis is good based on this logic, right??

I on the other hand went to Riddle, so that's 0pts for or against...
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      06-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #18
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
Quote:

Just wondering was the car low on oil? Does your old engine burn oil between oil change? I always check my oil before I drive it because of these stories.
Not low on oil at all. In fact given posners postings in excessive oil consumption I've asked my Indy every tine I've gotten it changed (4 times over 25k miles) to see if it was low at all before changing. Every tine GE said no - didn't burn a drop. I've never gotten a low oil warning in 1.5 years and 25k mikes.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
Quote:

Did you notice anything odd with your car prior to this event? I hear this light knock after driving that car for a while. It gets a bit louder when an engine is started after a long dive. I had BMW mechanic listen to it, and he said it was normal.
No odd noises or knocking at all. I drive with the top down 90% of the time and would have heard any odd noises if there had been any.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
My wife's a Gator, so my M6's diagnosis is good based on this logic, right??

I on the other hand went to Riddle, so that's 0pts for or against...
You don't even have a M6....
      06-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

So prior to the issue, when did you check the oil level, and what was the level?
      06-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You don't even have a M6....
What? Check my sig...
Appreciate 0