BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

My 640d MSport has arrived -UK- pic heavy

I collected my long awaited 640d M Sport this morning, it looked absolutely fabulous sat outside the showroom and I was most definately not disappointed! Firstly, I was picked up at the Train station in a 530d GT M Sport, that is a large, but very fine looking car and if I had needed a car that size, it would most definately been a strong contender.

Anyway, I ordered the 640d on 17 January, on a very cheap Personal Contract Hire deal, and was told at the time that the car would be ready for the end of March, and so it was. The handover was great; I have bought 5 BMWs and 2 Minis from this dealership in 7 years, they know me and I know them, the prep was great, the accessories I ordered were in the car. The handover could have taken hours; the idrive/nav/and associated gizmo's and technology are amazing, but it is all reasonably intuative, so will just get on with it and learn as I go along! Connected iDrive was not available though, I have just registered for this and it takes a couple of days to be activated.

In terms of spec this car has just about everything you would need as standard (Media pack, Business HiFi, memory seats, leather, 8 speed auto, metallic etc etc) raiding the options list just seemed like pure indulgence and undermines the value of the Lease package, so I kept options to an absolute minimum. I specced DAB radio (shoud really be standard - it is on the 5 GT), BMW Apps, Telephone USB audio and wood trim, as I dont care much for the standard alumimium M sport trim. So, my options were about £600 or so. I wanted the 20" alloys, but resisted and glad I did, the 19"s look just fine and the ride is perfect. Colour is Carbon Black and the leather is Ivory White (could be a mistake!) and you will notice that I have already changed the ivory white velour floor mats to black rubber ones!

I am delighted with it, the HiFi is great - at least to my ears, and the engine is not 'diesel like' in sound at revs. The ride is much better than I thought it would be and is better than my wife's Mini by a mile. It is a big car though and it will be a great motorway GT cruiser, I wouldn't like to be driving around town much. Not much to add on the performance side, I drive like a grandma most of the time anyway, but I did blip the throttle on the M6 and was at quite a high speed in the blink of an eye! Most of the time I will be in 'Eco Pro' mode (that's tight arse mode) to extract the most miles from a gallon but no doubt will be seduced into 'Sport +' mode on occasion

Anyway, a few random pictures, in no particular order, I didn't want to dwell outside taking pictures for too long, it would have meant interacting with my neighbours who would make amusing comments like 'how long is this one on the drive for?'

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Very nice. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Nice Ride !! Same color combo here and we also replaced the ivory mats with the BMW rubber ones. Dealership also "gave" us a complete set of Black velour. I see you have the "sport seats" !! How do you like them?? You will really enjoy this car. Congrats. (your steering wheel is on the wrong side...lol lol )
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Very nice. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-4KIX View Post
Nice Ride !! Same color combo here and we also replaced the ivory mats with the BMW rubber ones. Dealership also "gave" us a complete set of Black velour. I see you have the "sport seats" !! How do you like them?? You will really enjoy this car. Congrats. (your steering wheel is on the wrong side...lol lol )

We clearly share great taste!

It's an M Sport so I guess the sport seats come with that package. They are nice though!

My steering wheel maybe on the 'wrong' side but at least I can spell colour
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats on the delivery of your gorgeous BMW!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
congrats, you are satisfied with this bull strong engine. very nice 640D.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

Absolutely amazing congratulations! I'm very jealous my car is a few weeks away but the waiting is killing me especially as the weather has been perfect for a convertible.

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats!
Awesome car. Love the colour combo
      04-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Thanks for the post lovely pictures your car is gorgeous. Can't wait for mine now! Glad to hear and see that those 19" are fit I did not go for the 20" either but like you have gone for ivory interior. What phone are you pairing?
      04-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB1 View Post
Thanks for the post lovely pictures your car is gorgeous. Can't wait for mine now! Glad to hear and see that those 19" are fit I did not go for the 20" either but like you have gone for ivory interior. What phone are you pairing?
I use an iPhone 4 with the media adaptor. Just finding my way around it all now, but it paired straight away.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Your car is amazing thanks again for sharing.
What is she like to drive, as that’s my biggest worry coming from an XFS which powers, drives and handles sublimely.
Are the black mats custom BMW? I went for M Sport Package too probably similar contract hire deal although mines a business lease and we ordered 2 of them a vert and coupe. Standard M-sport spec is excellent you are right but no DAB! I did also raid the options list (about £5k worth) but found it difficult to know where to draw that line! Options selected over and above M-sport spec
• Steering wheel heating
• Climate Comfort windscreen
• Wind deflector
• Reversing Assist camera
• Comfort seats
• Adaptive Headlights
• Surround-view
• Park Assist
• Head-up Display
• Internet
• DAB digital radio
• Loudspeaker system - BMW Professional
• Telephone USB audio interface
• Mobile application preparation
      04-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 6-cyl engine and the use of a Deisel. I noticed the Eco settings - we don't have that on the 650 over here. What options do you have for the Efficient Dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB1 View Post
Your car is amazing thanks again for sharing.
What is she like to drive, as that’s my biggest worry coming from an XFS which powers, drives and handles sublimely.
Are the black mats custom BMW? I went for M Sport Package too probably similar contract hire deal although mines a business lease and we ordered 2 of them a vert and coupe. Standard M-sport spec is excellent you are right but no DAB! I did also raid the options list (about £5k worth) but found it difficult to know where to draw that line! Options selected over and above M-sport spec
• Steering wheel heating
• Climate Comfort windscreen
• Wind deflector
• Reversing Assist camera
• Comfort seats
• Adaptive Headlights
• Surround-view
• Park Assist
• Head-up Display
• Internet
• DAB digital radio
• Loudspeaker system - BMW Professional
• Telephone USB audio interface
• Mobile application preparation
Wow, that is some options list! I would have loved some of those, but £5k of options would have added over £200/month to the lease. The black mats are BMW rubber F13 mats, cost £60 for the front mats only. I have replaced the standard ivory velour maps, which will be replaced at the end of lease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 6-cyl engine and the use of a Deisel. I noticed the Eco settings - we don't have that on the 650 over here. What options do you have for the Efficient Dynamics?

The 6 cylinder diesel engine suits the 6er perfectly, to be honest you wouldn't know it was a diesel unit if you hear the engine accelerate. It's a 313bhp, 640nm torque, 154 gm/km emissions (that is a very low figure!) and 'officially' returns 51 mpg (uk gallons). They are outstanding figures in my eyes. The Eco setting, sets the climate control, engine stop/start functions, gearbox settings to give the optimal/minimal figures for diesel consumption and environmental impact. The 640d will be BMWs top 6Series seller in the UK by a huge margin over the petrol equivalents.

Is the diesel engine not set to be introduced to North America?

Just been out in it again ( why wouldn't I?). It is incredibly smooth through the gears and I still cannot get over how good it is over the bumps and lumps in the awful UK roads, even with big alloys. I haven't really experimented the range of settings, and clearly the suspension will stiffen up (maybe) with the more more sportier modes, but for everyday driving the 'comfort' set up is brilliant. So far it is reading over 40mpg after only 65 miles, so am I obviously not trying hard enough all that info from the trip computer is on my iPhone when away from the car, courtesy of the BMW Connected function via BMW Apps.

Had my son and the daughter (20 and 19) in the back for a short journey, it's certainly quite tight back there for anyone bigger than average. Suspect it would be fine for short hops, although as this is primarily a car for me, the vast majority of time there will be just me in it.

Other small things, the wing mirrors fold on the key, they never did with my 335d, so a small improvement there. Getting used to the stop/start function, a little disconcerting at traffic lights but I can turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
strick11
Rep
Drives: 2005

Beautiful car!
      04-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Glad you're enjoying it. 40 mpg isn't bad. I got 10.4 mpg the first few fill ups (3 tanks the first week ). Factor in the US/UK gallon difference, and that's still pretty impressive for a performance car driven spiritedly.

I don't think I'd like the car controlling my climate settings. I'd be overriding that all the time. I'll consider lightening the throttle from time to time, but I'm not giving up my A/C when it's 90 degrees.

We don't get the folding mirrors in the US. It seems kinda stupid as its a software feature, and it doesn't have to do with safety regulations. It mentions it in one of the quick guides that came with the car. Not really sure how they came to that decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great car! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, very pleased with the 640d, the more I look at it, the more I love the shape and the lines.

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it. 40 mpg isn't bad. I got 10.4 mpg the first few fill ups (3 tanks the first week ). Factor in the US/UK gallon difference, and that's still pretty impressive for a performance car driven spiritedly.

I don't think I'd like the car controlling my climate settings. I'd be overriding that all the time. I'll consider lightening the throttle from time to time, but I'm not giving up my A/C when it's 90 degrees.

We don't get the folding mirrors in the US. It seems kinda stupid as its a software feature, and it doesn't have to do with safety regulations. It mentions it in one of the quick guides that came with the car. Not really sure how they came to that decision.
Not a problem for us Brits! 10.4mpg, whether UK or US, is going some! That is M6 territory and with petrol/diesel being hideously expensive in the UK, I wouldn't want to be paying for your fuel!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Not a problem for us Brits! 10.4mpg, whether UK or US, is going some! That is M6 territory and with petrol/diesel being hideously expensive in the UK, I wouldn't want to be paying for your fuel!
I'll be interested in seeing what people get in the new M6. It has start/stop, which the 650i/650xi doesn't have.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
The 6 cylinder diesel engine suits the 6er perfectly, to be honest you wouldn't know it was a diesel unit if you hear the engine accelerate. It's a 313bhp, 640nm torque, 154 gm/km emissions (that is a very low figure!) and 'officially' returns 51 mpg (uk gallons). They are outstanding figures in my eyes. The Eco setting, sets the climate control, engine stop/start functions, gearbox settings to give the optimal/minimal figures for diesel consumption and environmental impact. The 640d will be BMWs top 6Series seller in the UK by a huge margin over the petrol equivalents.

Is the diesel engine not set to be introduced to North America?

Just been out in it again ( why wouldn't I?). It is incredibly smooth through the gears and I still cannot get over how good it is over the bumps and lumps in the awful UK roads, even with big alloys. I haven't really experimented the range of settings, and clearly the suspension will stiffen up (maybe) with the more more sportier modes, but for everyday driving the 'comfort' set up is brilliant. So far it is reading over 40mpg after only 65 miles, so am I obviously not trying hard enough all that info from the trip computer is on my iPhone when away from the car, courtesy of the BMW Connected function via BMW Apps.

Had my son and the daughter (20 and 19) in the back for a short journey, it's certainly quite tight back there for anyone bigger than average. Suspect it would be fine for short hops, although as this is primarily a car for me, the vast majority of time there will be just me in it.

Other small things, the wing mirrors fold on the key, they never did with my 335d, so a small improvement there. Getting used to the stop/start function, a little disconcerting at traffic lights but I can turn it off.
Thanks for the write-up. No idea on whether a diesel is due in NA, but the engine intrigues me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

That. Is absoloutely gorgeous!!! Hell of an engine too. I'd say "enjoy it" but you just will, it's soo awesome!!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

OP. Congratulations. You will love it. These cars are like no other. When I lived in the UK I had a diesel Merc. Amazing engines these new diesels are. As you said, one cannot even tell they're diesel. When I had US visitors, I would drive them around for a while and when I told them the car had a diesel engine, they didn't believe me. Drive it in good health.

Quote:
Dude. Back off the throttle once in a while. Maybe take her out of sport+ now and again.

I got 17ish on a tank during break in, mostly comfort mode, of course taking it easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Same spec

Hi Peter

Thanks for the great photos. I've been watching these posts for a few months now, having ordered a Carbon Black M Sport Convertible with ivory leather. Like you I kept my options to a minimum, going for DAB, nappa leather with contrast stitching, American oak, plus phone and iPod prep so almost identical to yours. I too agonized over the wheels and opted for the 19" as I do a lot of miles so ride was v important to me. Really glad to read you're happy with the look and ride.

Sold my 2009 black Jaguar XKR convertible today, and go into a Hertz hire car for two weeks until the BMW arrives on May 6th. Loved the Jag and having driven all the usual suspects, had pretty much decided to go for another XKR. Then by chance tried the 640d and was won over within minutes. What an astonishing car. Counting down the days now and hoping the sun shines on May Day bank holiday.

Is your wood trim the American Oak?

Last edited by RDT; 04-25-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0