BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-15-2024, 04:20 AM   #1
Big G 1979
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

Rear trailing arm bolt torque values?

I'll be replacing rear trailing arms soon item 10 anyone know the torque values for bolt and ball joint?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:31 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

QSilver can probably find it. The naming conventions BMW uses for suspension parts are not consistent, even within BMW's own repair manuals. But I will note if you don't already know that most suspension components with rubber bushings where the mounting bolt keeps the rubber bushing from rotating have to be tightened with the suspension in the position it would be in while sitting on the ground - in other words you can't do it with the car on jack stands at the jacking points with the wheels hanging down.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:14 AM   #3
Big G 1979
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

[QUOTE=Opie55;31073907]QSilver can probably find it. The naming conventions BMW uses for suspension parts are not consistent, even within BMW's own repair manuals. But I will note if you don't already know that most suspension components with rubber bushings where the mounting bolt keeps the rubber bushing from rotating have to be tightened with the suspension in the position it would be in while sitting on the ground - in other words you can't do it with the car on jack stands at the jacking points with the wheels hanging down.

Hey Opie, thanks for the reply, I plan to swap the components out torque the ball joint end up whilst up on axle stand and nip the chassis bolt up then refit wheel lower car down and then drive onto my car ramp then loosen bolt slightly and then torque to spec. Hopefully this should be ok ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:50 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I'm not sure what "nip the chassis bolt up" means, but just leave it a tad loose so the bushing can still freely rotate until you do the final tightening. It won't hurt anything. If you tighten it so it cannot rotate before lowering it you risk tearing the bushing.
Appreciate 1