BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #67
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You know, if it's that much of a burden, I COULD pull it myself a few days a week and give you a break. All you have to do is ask
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #68
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Made it to NC (Jacksonville). Been here about 4 days now and the first 2 days have been in the rain and looks like the next week is going to be rain. Not a very nice welcome from NC. My car has never been this dirty since I have gotten it. Then in route the warning to replace pads popped up. Stop Tech cross drilled rotors and pads going in. Initial impressions of the area are not very exciting. Already miss SoCal. At any rate I am here for at least 18 months. Will have to make the best of it. Although I haven't really explored much......been too busy finding a house and getting settled. Took a trip to the nearest dealer around here, in Wilmington. Needed a c-pillar bracket that broke on my folding top. One hour away........crazy.

That's all again for the input on the state/area.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #69
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I haven't lived in Jacksonville, but stayed there for a fair amount of time while working out of LeJeune in the fall time several years ago. I've been to better but I've certainly been to worse. Most of the locals I came across were friendly and I found the area a little boring/slow for my likes (I'm not a bar guy), although I did not have a lot of time to go exploring and I was staying East of 17. If you're into nature/outdoors, there are certainly opportunities for exploring/hiking/camping/other outdoor adventures. You're not that far from the ocean, either, so that presents other venues for hobby/entertainment. My biggest thing was trying not to drink straight tap water (mainly out of paranoia).

I was there in the fall time and, since you're coming from Cali, you'll notice a difference in climate; predominantly humidity...and bigger flying bugs. Base traffic can get stacked up at the main gate but I consider Pax to be worse. Throttle your time in/out if you can to accommodate. LeJeune has some nice views, though. If you ever get bored, just camp out by one of the many fields on base and watch the random sparring sessions from some of the young Marines...always amusing.

I don't think 18mo would be that bad once you adjust. There could be worse places for a twilight tour.

True story:
I was in Lowes once looking for some bits to rig into a lightweight, collapsible antenna stand/boom arm and found my way to the plumbing section for an easy case for hauling the gear in. There was a lady who seemed lost in the PVC pipe/adapters aisle and there was no employee in sight. She was polite/nice so I gave her a hand w/ what she needed and she then politely asked:
"You're no from around here, are you? I can tell by your accent."
"No, ma'am," I jokingly replied, "but I'm not the one with an accent."
"Where's home?" she asked after a laugh
"Chicago" I said.
Her demeanor and facial expression changed immediately. With a more vaunted and serious demeanor and tone, she retorted, "That's Obama country."
I just laughed and said, "Well, I didn't vote for him."
Her demeanor then reverted back to her polite self from earlier and we had a nice brief conversation before she thanked me again for the help and we parted ways.

The Jacksonville area is also the only place I've ever encountered a building w/ a shark-shaped building entrance.
Attached Images

Last edited by bosstones; 05-28-2016 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #70
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Been living here in NC for the last 5 years and will still be here for another year and a half or so before I'm moved somewhere else.

It's certainly not SD, but I think you'll enjoy the changes in the cost of living. It's way more reasonable out here.

Also, there is plenty to do and see. I've done quite a bit so if you have specific likes/dislikes let me know.

FWIW, I'm a beer snob so being that NC has more breweries than any state south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi, I've traveled pretty much all over the entire state to see the sights and drink the beer. Rich history all the way from the mountains to the coast, good night life in Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, and incredible beaches.
      05-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #71
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Definitely have some exploring to do. Found a nice house in Stella. Quiet, secluded....but not secluded. If that makes any sense. About 30 minutes commute to the base and about 10 to swansboro. Have read and been told the schools are awesome in Carteret County. Planning to ride out to the tail of the dragon and check that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #72
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
OP, my best friend who is a USMC officer just moved from Jacksonville to outside of San Diego for three years. He has two houses in Jacksonville and to the best of my knowledge one of them is vacant. I just text him to confirm and I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #73
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
House is available in a quiet neighborhood and about three miles from Camp Lejeune. PM for more details if interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #74
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
House is available in a quiet neighborhood and about three miles from Camp Lejeune. PM for more details if interested.
Thanks for looking out, But I have already signed a lease on a place.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #75
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Been living here in NC for the last 5 years and will still be here for another year and a half or so before I'm moved somewhere else.

It's certainly not SD, but I think you'll enjoy the changes in the cost of living. It's way more reasonable out here.

Also, there is plenty to do and see. I've done quite a bit so if you have specific likes/dislikes let me know.

FWIW, I'm a beer snob so being that NC has more breweries than any state south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi, I've traveled pretty much all over the entire state to see the sights and drink the beer. Rich history all the way from the mountains to the coast, good night life in Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, and incredible beaches.
Since this is not one of the usual OT-like threads, I have opted to spare you, but I desperately wanted to make this my new signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
I've done quite a bit so if you have specific likes/dislikes let me know.
      05-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #76
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Since this is not one of the usual OT-like threads, I have opted to spare you, but I desperately wanted to make this my new signature.
Well, what's wrong with it?