BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Dinan Piggy Back Confirmed - June

Just got a call and the dinan solution will be out in June for M5/M6. Supposedly 60-70 hp gain. No word on cost. They are also releasing a cold air intake and Sleeve kit for suspension
      05-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 (Fully Modded)

Gruppe M intake > Dinan's for sure.
If Dinan's tune will be the piggy back, then what's the difference? BMS is the same thing but costs under $500, Dinan will not be cheaper than $3000 100%

"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Any word on price? If it is anything more than $1,000 then I don't see it being worth it over other, cheaper piggybacks. Disappointed that they couldn't come up with a proper ECU reflash but then again it seems these ECUs are unbreakable. Also, any word on the performance gains expected from the intake. The GruppeM is clearly still the king based on looks but it doesn't really do much in terms of performance for the price.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
I want to know what the new torque figures will be. Also, what is the top speed of the M6, when the limiter is removed?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I want to know what the new torque figures will be. Also, what is the top speed of the M6, when the limiter is removed?
I believe it was stated before that the top speed was a little over 200. But this tune will most likely not remove the limiter though.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Tuskir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I hope they price is appropriately. I won't pay more than $2000 for it, but I'd pick it over BMS due to it being dealer installed and having Dinan warranty behind it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-karim View Post
If Dinan's tune will be the piggy back, then what's the difference? BMS is the same thing but costs under $500, Dinan will not be cheaper than $3000 100%
I have never seen them offer a piggy back, their reflash'es are expensive hopefully since its a piggy back instead of reflsh will be priced accordingly
      05-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I have never seen them offer a piggy back, their reflash'es are expensive hopefully since its a piggy back instead of reflsh will be priced accordingly
I wouldn't count on it being any cheaper at all. If anything, I expect it to be more expensive, since it now will require a hardware solution. Also, they price is high, most likely due to the warranty they provide.

That being said, I received the following info from Dinan this morning, in an email. It deals with their new cold air intake. However, read the first bulletpoint. It'll give you an idea of the performance specs for the tune (this is regarding the M5....but I'd have to assume the M6 would be near identical).

Not a massive jump in horsepower. However, I was more interested in getting those torque numbers up.

Benefits of Dinan's F10 M5 Cold Air Intake:

• 627 HP and 616 lb-ft of Torque when combined with the D-Tronics Performance Tuner and exhaust. A difference of 17 HP and 11 lb-ft of torque from Dinan Stage 1 (D-Tronics Performance Tuner Only).

• Dinan proprietary Injection molded Dinan MAF housings are larger than stock

• Stock air filters are replaced with 77% larger Dinan conical air filters.

• Entire Dinan Intake system is sealed like a factory replacement to ensure only cold outside air and not hot air from the engine compartment is being utilized.

• Stock System Stays Completely Functional

• Carbon fiber air box lids and intake ducts

•Raised Dinan logos are laminated into the carbon fiber intake

• Rubber hoses, mountain brackets, & hardware included.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 05-22-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the HP figures are at the wheel or at the crank? 627 at the crank for the intake + piggyback + exhaust doesn't seem like much.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'd have to assume the crank. I think the torque figure is nice. The HP figure is a little underwhelming. I'm sure they were intentionally conservative with that tune, since they want to leave room for stage 2, stage 3, etc.

616 Torque does make me quite happy though (however, this is assuming you get the cold air intake as well).

That's a ton of money to spend on a tune and CAI for relatively small results. That warranty is the bulk of the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I'd have to assume the crank. I think the torque figure is nice. The HP figure is a little underwhelming. I'm sure they were intentionally conservative with that tune, since they want to leave room for stage 2, stage 3, etc.

616 Torque does make me quite happy though.
616 torque is impressive for sure. I was just more concerned with HP as I feel this car has enough trouble handling the torque it already has as it is. It really has a tough time not lighting the tires on fire to begin with. 627 crank HP is very underwhelming considering what this most likely will cost.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
616 torque is impressive for sure. I was just more concerned with HP as I feel this car has enough trouble handling the torque it already has as it is. It really has a tough time not lighting the tires on fire to begin with. 627 crank HP is very underwhelming considering what this most likely will cost.
I totally agree. Oh, and wait until you see the price tag on Stage 2. It's horrifying.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
I totally agree. Oh, and wait until you see the price tag on Stage 2. It's horrifying.
      05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
How do you claim BMS and Dinan have the same "tune" ?
BMS wants you to change a "user" feature which all your doing is changing a programed number in the user settings.
On a tune that was developed for 550/650 models. But change this magic number and its safe for M5/M6 ?

If everyone is having the same issue with programming these ECU's and the only way to create performance gains is thru a "piggy back" setup, I would want to pay more $$ for peace of mind that if something fails I have the backing of a larger company (Dinan) who stands behind their product.
If BMS fails and you go to BMW for a claim, your probably going to get no help from BMS, realistically.

Not to bash BMS but, that is a company that can never reply to any consumers questions which can only be done thru email (Good luck if you get Terry on the phone)
To each their own, it will be interesting to see what companies release in regards to performance software and how reliable it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
BMS wants you to change a "user" feature which all your doing is changing a programed number in the user settings.
On a tune that was developed for 550/650 models. But change this magic number and its safe for M5/M6 ?

If everyone is having the same issue with programming these ECU's and the only way to create performance gains is thru a "piggy back" setup, I would want to pay more $$ for peace of mind that if something fails I have the backing of a larger company (Dinan) who stands behind their product.
If BMS fails and you go to BMW for a claim, your probably going to get no help from BMS, realistically.

Not to bash BMS but, that is a company that can never reply to any consumers questions which can only be done thru email (Good luck if you get Terry on the phone)
To each their own, it will be interesting to see what companies release in regards to performance software and how reliable it is.
No one ever had any problems with BMS. But again if BMS fails, and again IF, then I'd have to replace a sensor, that costs about $1300; not bad at all.

"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
I have no real information as to what DINAN is doing but for the purpose of conversation one would have to assume DINAN is doing the same shit -- manipulating pre-existing values. Right?

What else would you be doing with a "piggy back" type tune? You seem to knock BMS for what they are doing but isn't DINAN doing the same thing?

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
I have no real information as to what DINAN is doing but for the purpose of conversation one would have to assume DINAN is doing the same shit -- manipulating pre-existing values. Right?

What else would you be doing with a "piggy back" type tune? You seem to knock BMS for what they are doing but isn't DINAN doing the same thing?

Brian
Didn't knock BMS or say anything bad.
I've emailed BMS numerous times and know many people that have emailed them "because you can not talk to anyone over the phone" and ask simple questions regarding the software and boost questions. Its always been very difficult to get feed back.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
No one ever had any problems with BMS. But again if BMS fails, and again IF, then I'd have to replace a sensor, that costs about $1300; not bad at all.
If BMS fails, you could also simply remove it, clear the fault codes, and bring the car in for a repair under warranty by claiming complete ignorance as to the source of the failure, at least in theory.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If BMS fails, you could also simply remove it, clear the fault codes, and bring the car in for a repair under warranty by claiming complete ignorance as to the source of the failure, at least in theory.
I didn't hide BMS from my local BMW dealership, in fact, they installed it for me
I like how you can control BMS, add boost etc. I will keep BMS until someone cracks s63tu ECU.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-karim
Quote:
I didn't hide BMS from my local BMW dealership, in fact, they installed it for me
I like how you can control BMS, add boost etc. I will keep BMS until someone cracks s63tu ECU.
Interesting. 2 local dealers told me there was no way in hell they would install a piggyback tune as it would be a liability issue for them. Meaning if they installed it then they would have to cover any warranty complaint related to any damage caused by the BMS piggyback and they were not willing to take the risk. I wonder if that would be a possibility for you, if something were to go wrong because of the BMS, would they still have to honor your warranty for any OEM part or system damaged being that they were the ones who installed it.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. 2 local dealers told me there was no way in hell they would install a piggyback tune as it would be a liability issue for them. Meaning if they installed it then they would have to cover any warranty complaint related to any damage caused by the BMS piggyback and they were not willing to take the risk. I wonder if that would be a possibility for you, if something were to go wrong because of the BMS, would they still have to honor your warranty for any OEM part or system damaged being that they were the ones who installed it.
If something failed on his M6 I bet the dealer or whoever installed the item would claim no responsibility.
Regardless of selling/installing the item or not, BMW will not back him up.
A local dealership in CA just got busted for selling the same items.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
That would be the logical assumption to make. If it were to fail and cause further harm the logical thing would be for them to claim no responsibility, but then again my local dealerships back any "dealer installed items" for at least 2 years or for the the length to the manufacturer's warranty, which is why they told me they would not install such a tune.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0