05-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #1
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Turbo Connections

I was rear ended on April 26 took my car to BMW of Brooklyn to have them deal with it the proper way.. I get a call from the advisor saying as they were lookin at the damages they noticed a leak from my coolant return line from the turbos. MY QUESTION HERE IS ARENT THE TURBOS CONNECTED TO THE DOWNPIPES WHICH ARE CONNECTED TO MY MUFFLER? BC GEICO DOESNT WANT TO COVER THE LINE AND BMW WANTS 2200 I CAME UP WIT A SOLUTION IM GOIN TO BUY THE RETURN LINE SOMEWHERE ELSE GENUINE BMW PART FOR LESS AND HAVE A LOCAL SHOP I USE PUT THEM ON BUT I JUS WANT TO ASK bc I believe geico should cover it my car was in immaculate conditions before this accident
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Just because your turbos are eventually connected to your muffler does not necessarily mean everything wrong in the area of the turbo is causally connected to a rear end collision. The insurance company is right to question that. You need the person fixing it to tell the insurance company it is related, if it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Just because your turbos are eventually connected to your muffler does not necessarily mean everything wrong in the area of the turbo is causally connected to a rear end collision. The insurance company is right to question that. You need the person fixing it to tell the insurance company it is related, if it is.
So lemme ask you what can make this line leak if the turbos was replaced a year ago.. the advisor at bmw said I could have hit a pothole and it could have cause the return line to leak??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
So lemme ask you what can make this line leak if the turbos was replaced a year ago.. the advisor at bmw said I could have hit a pothole and it could have cause the return line to leak??
The advisor at BMW is right.
That could be a reason for the leak.
It also could have been from the rear end collision.
Where is the leak originating from?
Is it from the rubber lines or is it a crack in the metal lines?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

you have your plumbing mixed up.

The turbo -> downpipe -> exhaust piping are for exhaust gases.

The coolant lines is for liquid coolant that is used for turbo/intercooler cooling functions.

So you need to find the coverage language in your policy that talks about all other accessories related to the engine/powertrain and you have to show how all this is somehow related to your accident...which will be difficult.

Also, btw, I heard for the N63 (also for the S63) there is a TSB to fix the coolant lines. So it might be free for you to get it fixed out of warranty. Even if they fixed it before, and it's leaking again, they may be able to goodwill this fix. Plus your 2014 should have just come off of warranty, which means, a goodwill fix will cover close to 90% of the overall cost. Confirm this with your advisor.
      05-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
Quote:
The advisor at BMW is right.
That could be a reason for the leak.
It also could have been from the rear end collision.
Where is the leak originating from?
Is it from the rubber lines or is it a crack in the metal lines?
Two lines are rubber and one is metal I just got the part number today..all three lines are only two hundred dollars..I'm trying to understand why they want $2200??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
you have your plumbing mixed up.

The turbo -> downpipe -> exhaust piping are for exhaust gases.

The coolant lines is for liquid coolant that is used for turbo/intercooler cooling functions.

So you need to find the coverage language in your policy that talks about all other accessories related to the engine/powertrain and you have to show how all this is somehow related to your accident...which will be difficult.

Also, btw, I heard for the N63 (also for the S63) there is a TSB to fix the coolant lines. So it might be free for you to get it fixed out of warranty. Even if they fixed it before, and it's leaking again, they may be able to goodwill this fix. Plus your 2014 should have just come off of warranty, which means, a goodwill fix will cover close to 90% of the overall cost. Confirm this with your advisor.
Yea my plumbing with cars is no bueno.. Well hey I thought they would be connected to the collision but Geico is going to investigate after they fix the rest of the car.. My car was also Not towed on a flatbed either after the collision could that have cause a leak the front wheels were on the ground
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Two lines are rubber and one is metal I just got the part number today..all three lines are only two hundred dollars..I'm trying to understand why they want $2200??
I just had the procedure done on my M6. I believe they drain all the coolant from all the lines and tank. It takes some time.

Anyways, it's hard to say that the leak is related to the accident. I'm sure a violent collision can jar anything lose, but then again the coolant leak issue is a known problem on the S63/N63, and it's directly related to the quality of the lines and the parts.
      05-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
I just had the procedure done on my M6. I believe they drain all the coolant from all the lines and tank. It takes some time.

Anyways, it's hard to say that the leak is related to the accident. I'm sure a violent collision can jar anything lose, but then again the coolant leak issue is a known problem on the S63/N63, and it's directly related to the quality of the lines and the parts.
Is there a brand line you recommend that's stronger
Appreciate 0