BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
xionium
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Cool Would you get 640i with NO ARS/ADAPTIVE DRIVE

Hey guys,

would u get a 640i with no Adaptive Drive/ARS Active-Body Roll Stabilization? Apparently when I was looking to order (but ultimately didnt) months ago, the dealer went ahead and ordered the car for stock anyway, but left out the ARS... I decided I was going to take the car off his hands (since i now want to order good timing!) buuuutt I feel sick thinking about the extra lousy 2k and having this option left out, with everything else fully loaded. Comfort more than Sport desired here.

Any thoughts/experiences?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

No Adaptive Dampers or Active Roll bars

Hi Xionium

If you read my posts you will know my complaint is all about its ride.

I too had ordered then cancelled the order, for the dealer to take delivery of the car anyway without the suspension bits. I then bought it.

I have to say mine is not great, having said that I had the opportunity to compare another GC with all the suspension toys on it. I had both for a couple of days, the dealer organised it for me as I was / am unhappy with the cars ride. The intention was to change mine for one with all the bits on if there was an improvement.There wasn't.

I could not tell the difference, but I found the comfort setting the best, and one that seems similar to the standard set up of my actual purchased car.

So I don't think you will regret not spending the extra 2k, on the other hand if like me you are not a big fan of the ride you will regret the £60 plus you did spend.

My advice take an extended test drive live with the car for at least 3 days, don't plan anything special just do your daily routine, work etc on familiar roads, if you like the drive I am sure you will love the car.

If its got 20s its not the most forgiving ride over pot holes drain covers and poor quality road surfaces, well that's my experience.

So don't beat your self up over not having those extra bits, and I truly hope you don't end up beating your self up over the rest of the cars dynamic ability like me.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
xionium
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow 13NF thank you so much for that honest heartfelt reply! holy smokes I feel like you are telling me candid stuff =D lol.

I was already putting together other bits from what i read on other cars (hard to find 1st hand reports not SUV-based or comparing AMG/M models) and it was leaning me towards the "not that big of a deal if left off, not end of the world" kinda thing. (especially since most were definitely doing 'sporty' cornering etc. with it when comparing)

Yes spending the $ + especially the depreciation alone (45k in 2-3yrs?!) makes me sick everytime i think about it. I wonder if the dealers here in the US would let me do an extended test drive. i have a feeling they wouldn't be thrilled (Used to live in UK so I know your guys' customer service, when existent, is indeed far superior)

I do feel like you have cemented my position a bit more, so i really do appreciate your response. Where im at in Cali, the roads are in a surprising state of disrepair, the 19"s im getting specifically cuz the 20s i test drove months ago w/ M-suspension was *insanely stiff* my coccyx was sore as heck.

Does the 6 come with The Dynamic Damper now, (I mean the thing that goes from Comfort+ to Comfort to Sport to Sport+) or is that entirely dependent on the Adaptive Drive option?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
J4193
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 gc

I got a 650 with no adaptive and it drives fine to me fuck adaptive
Drive u don't need it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
xionium
Enlisted Member
Rep

thx man. feeling a lot better about this not having it. as long as it still has the Comfort/Sport dynamic changing button thingy
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Suspension 6gc

It will still have the button that has ECO PRO/COMFORT/SPORT/SPORTPLUS

But without any adaptive dampers or drive, it only effects the throttle response.

J4193 sums up my feeling to !

Just get that extended test drive, 19s are much better I believe.

Sorry I hope I haven't put you off.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

In the US all 6ers have the drive mode control INCLUDING Dynamic Damper Control. DDC is not part of ARS. The switch effects dampers, throttle, transmission and steering effort.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My 640D GC

Hi

I agree with J4193! And so well put.

Just get that extended test drive, if you like you buy.

They are lovely cars, just not dynamically, if that's important well don't buy.

19s should be better

Sorry if I caused you any worry please understand its my experience, yours could be different.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
J4193
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 gc

Yea adaptive drive ain't really nothin special I drive both before buying . I rather have the b and o sound system instead (even that's not that much better than the high fi) adaptive drive and night vision is the only options I'm missing and they both ain't worth the money . I had a cl550 Benz and night was just fancy when u first get it it's a waste and adaptive drive only really useful on turns but not that big difference test both and see if you really need it. Unless u a racer I Doubt it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

ARS is a must for any model. There is a huge difference in handling. I personally would never buy a car without ARS having experienced both options personally.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
///MD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: panamera

i have no experience with ARS in the 6 series but in the 550 there was a night and day handling difference with and without the DDC/ARS. I felt the main difference maker was the ARS. I could not have seen myself purchasing an f10 without it. I didn't feel i needed it on the f06 as car already feels more stiff and handles better. As Bonz said, all f06 cars in the US come with DDC. ARS is a standalone option.
      10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
ARS is a must for any model. There is a huge difference in handling. I personally would never buy a car without ARS having experienced both options personally.
+1.

I used to have a 550i with DHP (DDC and ARS). Drove a lot of 5 series of different configurations, ARS will make the most impact. There are a lot of people that are fine without it, or swear by the 704 suspension. Best option is to find the various configurations on the lot and test them back to back.

But if I were buying a 5 or 6 it would have to have ARS!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:58 AM   #13
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

How can I tell if my car has ARS WITHOUT putting it in the BMW vin decoder?
      12-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
Giggs11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' f13 650i xdrive,M package

Hi

I have ACC and I never use it maybe twice in few yhrs I trust my foot more then computer lol
Appreciate 0