BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Question about 8 speed auto

Soon to be a 650ix owner, had a quick question to anyone with experiences with the 8 speed auto and DCT.

When manually switching gears, is the 8 speed noticeable slower on the up/downshifts compared to the DCT?

Thanks for any input
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

If you drive them back to back it will seem a little slower, but in return it will also feel smoother. After a day or so you adjust and the difference becomes negligible, I notice the smoothness more then the slightly slower shifts.

Obviously the mode you have the car in also makes a difference. In sport/sport+ the shifts are plenty fast enough that I don't miss a DCT/or any other auto clutch system. In comfort mode, since I'm after a smooth ride I'm glad I have the ZF. I honestly wouldn't have taken the DCT even if it was a free option. My car is a 640d, so the monstrous torque may play a part in my experience, but by all accounts I've read/heard from friends/etc I've yet to hear a negative word about the 8sp ZF. It really is a revelation for someone that's often found conventional autos clunky.

The only thing I don't like, is to meet economy targets from a standstill it will select 2nd. Usually I remember to flick down, but if not there's a slight pause as it switches to 1st when it realises I really want to take off, not just gradually move. It may be different in the US, as in the Uk we have extremely punitive taxes based on standardised emissions tests. Stop start and things like starting in 2nd help the car into a much lower tax band, making it more attractive to company car buyers.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Yes, the ZF is slower.

But, in the 6 the SAT is standard which is slightly different programming and the shifts will be a touch faster than the standard ZF (on the 5's the SAT is an option) and as said above, the ZF is considered one of the best in the industry. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I test drove a DCT in the 135i once. I'd also say the DCT shifted slightly faster. But not by much. As mentioned earlier, the 8AT is much smoother. When starting from a stop, I think the DCT has more clutch lag than the torque converter. That makes a big difference for fast starts.

With 8 speeds and the wonderful BMW engines, you have to click the downshift button many times to get any significant engine braking on hills. So if your goal is downhill engine breaking, be prepared for 4-5 clicks. It's pretty crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you

Yeah, now that I think about it, the DCT on my M3 is very clunky especially at low speeds. I guess this is also a regular automatic so it will roll off the line when I let go of the brake during drive mode?

But makes me wonder, is the DCT on M5 and M6's clunky as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
No, not at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, now that I think about it, the DCT on my M3 is very clunky especially at low speeds. I guess this is also a regular automatic so it will roll off the line when I let go of the brake during drive mode?
Yep, once the engine turns back on.

Quote:
My short test drive, I felt the M5 DCT was reasonably smooth once you were moving. However, the combination of the engine starting plus the clutch kicking in made it tricky to start smoothly for me on the test drive. I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually, but it would take some practice.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just hope the 8 speed's shift changes are fast enough for "spirited" drives. *crossing fingers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

If you like to drive with the suspension a bit stiffer, set your sport mode to chassis only and use the buttons to the left of the shifter to put it in sport. When puttering around in town when you have it in Drive mode, after you learn to anticipate step down at low speeds you can simply move the shifter left and increase the revs and bypass the step down. You'll like the drive better and feel a bit more connected even in stop and go.

When you're carving simply go to sequential and enjoy, it really is pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just hope the 8 speed's shift changes are fast enough for "spirited" drives. *crossing fingers
Yes, it will definitely be fast enough for that. I think the 8AT shifts amazingly fast.

Or just leave it in Sport Mode. The tranny will hold revs a lot higher in Sport mode if you are getting on the gas. All the way to the top if you'd like.

Remember though that 8 gears is a lot of gears. When you slow down to take a slow corner you will find yourself having to click 3 or 4 times. Might be faster just to let the Sport mode do its thing. I think it can shift directly from higher gears to lower gears without hitting the ones in between. You can't do that with the paddles. Maybe if you click the paddles fast enough, the tranny will do multi-gear jumps. Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
I got heavy foot and always drive my car just how it was meant to be, and this 8 speed shifts brilliantly. It is unlike the automatic box from Mercedes which is more of making suggestion when manually shifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
If you drive them back to back it will seem a little slower, but in return it will also feel smoother. After a day or so you adjust and the difference becomes negligible, I notice the smoothness more then the slightly slower shifts.

Obviously the mode you have the car in also makes a difference. In sport/sport+ the shifts are plenty fast enough that I don't miss a DCT/or any other auto clutch system. In comfort mode, since I'm after a smooth ride I'm glad I have the ZF. I honestly wouldn't have taken the DCT even if it was a free option. My car is a 640d, so the monstrous torque may play a part in my experience, but by all accounts I've read/heard from friends/etc I've yet to hear a negative word about the 8sp ZF. It really is a revelation for someone that's often found conventional autos clunky.

The only thing I don't like, is to meet economy targets from a standstill it will select 2nd. Usually I remember to flick down, but if not there's a slight pause as it switches to 1st when it realises I really want to take off, not just gradually move. It may be different in the US, as in the Uk we have extremely punitive taxes based on standardised emissions tests. Stop start and things like starting in 2nd help the car into a much lower tax band, making it more attractive to company car buyers.
Does the US models start off in 2nd gear as well?

And does the Auto Start/Stop feature turn on as a default?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, but then my experience with the ZF was in a 2011.

There are many that complain about this 'lurch on startup', blame it as starting in second, but it's actually step down. When coming to a stop, if you don't completely stop, then add a fraction of a second, the transmission never makes it to first. If you then hit the gas while still in 2nd, the transmission steps down, adding a delay and then a lurch as you have the pedal pressed for second, but in first you take off harder. It's just getting used to the behavior of the drive logic.

That's why I said above when driving in town in Drive mode, you can anticipate the step down and switch the transmission into sport by moving the shift lever left. That raises the revs and keeps you in a range that the step down isn't necessary.

As for Euro cars, have no idea. They could start in 2nd or it could be the same step down issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Quote:

And does the Auto Start/Stop feature turn on as a default?
Both r right.
Mine is 2013, the auto star/go is default to turn on, but I heard 2014s have the option can set turn off as default. Not sure about it.
I have coded my vehicle, and default it to turn off.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
If the 8AT is not in Sport mode, it will most likely start in second gear. Once you push it to Sport mode (move the lever to the left), then it will start in first gear. That's how my car behaves anyway.

Punching the accelerator on my car in first gear makes it lose traction quickly. 20" RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
If the 8AT is not in Sport mode, it will most likely start in second gear.
Different then over the years. Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+ all started in 1st if you were completely stopped. Sport and Sport+ rarely made it to 8th.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
Different then over the years. Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+ all started in 1st if you were completely stopped. Sport and Sport+ rarely made it to 8th.
This is exactly I wanted to say.
Appreciate 0