BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Recommended Mods?..

I saw a Black Saphire M6 at the dealership yesterday that I had to test drive. There were a couple of things that stood out to me on my test drive. First of which was the look of the M6 as opposed to my 650 M Sport. Although the wheels are the same diameter. The M6's wheels looked considerably wider and filled out the wheel well better than my 650.

Another thing that stood out to me was the steering. The M6 felt agile and lighter. Which are obvious characteristics when compared to a normal six series. But to actually get in the driver seat of a M6 I was blown away at how composed the car felt compared to mine.

Anyway my question to you all is are there any simple mods to make the car sit the way the M6 does?.. Wheel spacers maybe?.. New wheels all together?.. Thoughts?.. Trading into one isn't an option at the moment so I would like to get my car to mimic the stance in the short term. Thanks in advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mod the driver.

Go to driving school.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post
I saw a Black Saphire M6 at the dealership yesterday that I had to test drive. There were a couple of things that stood out to me on my test drive. First of which was the look of the M6 as opposed to my 650 M Sport. Although the wheels are the same diameter. The M6's wheels looked considerably wider and filled out the wheel well better than my 650.

Another thing that stood out to me was the steering. The M6 felt agile and lighter. Which are obvious characteristics when compared to a normal six series. But to actually get in the driver seat of a M6 I was blown away at how composed the car felt compared to mine.

Anyway my question to you all is are there any simple mods to make the car sit the way the M6 does?.. Wheel spacers maybe?.. New wheels all together?.. Thoughts?.. Trading into one isn't an option at the moment so I would like to get my car to mimic the stance in the short term. Thanks in advance guys.
I just traded in my 2013 M5 2 weeks ago for a 2013 650 xDrive (I know, I know...it's a long story that I discussed on the M5 board) and although I wasn't in a M6, I would say that you will have to do quite a bit to make a 650 close to a M6. By the time you put some of the Dinan (for example) springs, tune software, different wheels, etc. on your car, you might as well put a down payment on a M6 or pay down your 650 so you can get out quicker. Even if you did do a lot of mods to your car, including making it faster, it still won't be a M6 in terms of handling, steering and overall feel. So if I were you I would make some minor cosmetic changes that I like and save most of my money for purchasing a slightly used M6 still under warranty if that's what I really wanted. Just my $0.02...
      09-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post

I just traded in my 2013 M5 2 weeks ago for a 2013 650 xDrive (I know, I know...it's a long story that I discussed on the M5 board) and although I wasn't in a M6, I would say that you will have to do quite a bit to make a 650 close to a M6. By the time you put some of the Dinan (for example) springs, tune software, different wheels, etc. on your car, you might as well put a down payment on a M6 or pay down your 650 so you can get out quicker. Even if you did do a lot of mods to your car, including making it faster, it still won't be a M6 in terms of handling, steering and overall feel. So if I were you I would make some minor cosmetic changes that I like and save most of my money for purchasing a slightly used M6 still under warranty if that's what I really wanted. Just my $0.02...
That's what I meant..

To be clear I'm looking to make some cosmetic mods to make the car sit similar to an M6..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday
To do it on the cheap you could drop the car on H&R springs and change out your rims to aftermarket M6 replicas (found all over eBay).

To do it in a more 'forum approved' manner, drop it on ACS springs (higher quality so it would seem by the higher price) and buy some OEM M6 rims/tires from the classifieds.

You'll also need to remove the front fog lights, and change out the diffuser in the rear while adding quad tips instead of the odd hex exhaust our cars come with.

Next you can buy the M6 steering wheel - also found on eBay. To take it a step further you could paint the calipers blue and put some high quality cross drilled rotors on all four corners. If you wanted to go really crazy you can wait for people to inevitably wrap a few M6's around trees/schools/other cars, and try and salvage the front fenders.

I guess the only other obvious necessity would be the rear spoiler...
To be honest... I am not looking to go that far. Just looking for a nice wheel and tire package that would be wide enough to fill the wheel and and look flush with the fender.. Similar to how the M6 looks..

Another question I have is.. Is the rear quarter on the M6 more flared out than that of the 650? Although the cars are pretty much the same. There are some significant cosmetic differences. I just can't wrap my brain around them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday
I haven't seen a 650i and M6 next to each other - but based on every other M I have spent time with I would say yes, the rear fenders are also wider.

I'm pretty sure the tire sizes for the same size rims are different on the M6 as well - this leads to a more substantial presence in the wheel well. I honestly think that with some OEM rims/tires and a mild drop you'd be happy with the results.
Thanks... I think I am going to look further into that...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
jaythree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I haven't seen a 650i and M6 next to each other - but based on every other M I have spent time with I would say yes, the rear fenders are also wider.

I'm pretty sure the tire sizes for the same size rims are different on the M6 as well - this leads to a more substantial presence in the wheel well. I honestly think that with some OEM rims/tires and a mild drop you'd be happy with the results.
I checked into using the M6GC stock 20" wheels on my 650GC. The Wheel/Tire guy at the dealership said the offsets are completely different on the M6 wheels and it wouldn't look right at all. They would probably be sticking past the wheel well openings.
Appreciate 0