CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
You went too extreme...why not talk about not even having an engine and race on bare feet?
The ultimate race car for REAL drivers
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The thing is Manual does offer more options than DCT in driving dynamics where as the removal of power steering does not. One example is you can ride the clutch while throttle on as a way of traction control during cornering (but keep turbo boost up because there is still throttle input) where as with DCT you are either left to electronics or simply throttle down or off with boost down.
First time I've ever heard of that.

I've heard of left foot braking to manage traction or to keep the car on boost. But riding the clutch ...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
You went too extreme...why not talk about not even having an engine and race on bare feet?

The thing is Manual does offer more options than DCT in driving dynamics where as the removal of power steering does not. One example is you can ride the clutch while throttle on as a way of traction control during cornering (but keep turbo boost up because there is still throttle input) where as with DCT you are either left to electronics or simply throttle down or off with boost down.
riding the clutch in turns????? Is that how you do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #26
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
completely agree!! automatic is faster than I would ever be able to manually change gears...nor am I as intuitive as a machine bred and built to do the shifting . But man would it be fun to try...in order to keep it competitive I will give the automatic guys the few second advantage
I think MT folks are missing the point that DCT can be "manually" shifted. There is no "intuitivity" aspect needed for the transmission, the driver still remains in the best position to anticipate and determine what gear should be used. The DCT is faster because it can shift gears without interrupting power to the drive wheels during a shift, while with a traditional MT, there will be an inherent short deceleration while the clutch is engaged, the gear is changed and clutch re-engaged. Further, with a DCT, since there is no interruption of power during a shift, it is possible to shift while cornering without upsetting the balance of the chassis. DCT is faster because th way it operates, not because it can "automatically" change gears.
OK? maybe we need to pump the brakes ? this wasn't supposed to turn into MT guys vs Automatic guys. I am sure we are all TOUGH GUYS/GALS here. I didn't mean to step on anyone's manhood/womanhood. I happen to be an MT guy and I know full well that the automatic is faster. I Know the reasons why autos are faster -with the un-interruption of power and the instantaneous power delivery. Nobody has forgotten that you can change your gears in an automatic "manually". I have driven a few supercars with paddle shift? they were magnificent. (Ferrari 488 Being my favorite.) My original post stated that I would pay extra for a third pedal. Not because I think it's faster or better around a race track, ONLY because it is more enjoyable to ME. My enjoyment comes 1st, track times come 2nd.
Name any car on the planet? and I would pay extra for a third pedal. I just wish more car manufacturers offered the option? I know it's not gonna happen, but a guy can dream right?
      10-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #27
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
While we are at it, they should also remove the DSC and ABS from the GT4, with the front-rear brake bias manually set by the driver to put more on the driver. And remove the synchros from the gearbox, so they really learn how to shift gears. And why not remove power steering and brake assistance so they can truly exercise their skills with arm and leg muscles. Maybe we should also have the drivers set the ignition advance manually, like in the good ol' days, as well as have them set the fuel mixture manually, that'd be a hoot. Only the "true" drivers would win ...

If you have turbos, I suppose this is true. I'm not sure what DCT you are driving but the DCT in the E92 can be on gas during up or down shift, so if there were turbos in the S65 they'd still be spooled up for ya. Unfortunately the only value in a stick is the enjoyment you get. There really isn't anything else beyond this. The DCT is a manual but instead of a slave cylinder and a third pedal, there is no pedal and solenoids to engage and disengage the clutch for you. Once in manual mode it only does what you say except if your driving 20 in 5th gear it will downshift for you if you don't. There is nothing a DCT can't do but I'll wait to see if someone comes up with something.
      10-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
riding the clutch in turns????? Is that how you do it?
I dump the clutch on entry down shifts to get the car turned in quicker.
Appreciate 1
w00tw00t407.00
      10-30-2017, 12:08 AM   #29
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
First time I've ever heard of that.

I've heard of left foot braking to manage traction or to keep the car on boost. But riding the clutch ...
I became aware of this technique over 25 yeas ago from racing car driver Motoharu Kurosawa.

Have la ook at his left footwork after the double de-clutching from 2:12 onwards.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 10-30-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #30
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
The ultimate race car for REAL drivers
There you go

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:40 AM   #31
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

i'd like to see people post laps in a manual car first, then in a auto or dct and compare the time.

have a strange feeling they may be similar. you can only drive as fast as you are able to no matter how easy a car is to drive.

Last edited by kprocivic; 10-30-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4653.00
      10-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #32
madmax240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Auto/DCT cars have the electronics in the transmission that control the gear shifts. the driver just selects up/down. so what annoys me is the programming taking over and over-riding what I gear I want. e.g. if I want to use a lot of engine braking, I might down shift very early. or if I want to keep a car stable during a corner, I might hold it past redline.
unless you have a race programmed transmission, I'm pretty sure, the car is going to disallow any commands it doesn't like. This also means I might not be in the gear I think I am in, if the down shifts didn't happen each time I selected the downshift paddle. which will cost me time when I go to accelerate.
so MT for me, because it's fun and I stay in control.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      10-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
Auto/DCT cars have the electronics in the transmission that control the gear shifts. the driver just selects up/down. so what annoys me is the programming taking over and over-riding what I gear I want. e.g. if I want to use a lot of engine braking, I might down shift very early. or if I want to keep a car stable during a corner, I might hold it past redline.
unless you have a race programmed transmission, I'm pretty sure, the car is going to disallow any commands it doesn't like. This also means I might not be in the gear I think I am in, if the down shifts didn't happen each time I selected the downshift paddle. which will cost me time when I go to accelerate.
Seems like you haven’t driven an ///M DCT. It does exactly what the driver commands, it will ride the rev limiter if you don’t upshift, it will downshift early if you ask it to. The only time the DCT will override the driver is when the driver commands a downshift that would cause an overrev (prevent a morey shift) or if the driver omits to downshift when it would cause the engine to bog down. Besides those exceptions, the DCT does exactly what the driver wants.

Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
MKSixer34171.50
      10-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Seems like you haven’t driven an ///M DCT. It does exactly what the driver commands, it will ride the rev limiter if you don’t upshift, it will downshift early if you ask it to. The only time the DCT will override the driver is when the driver commands a downshift that would cause an overrev (prevent a morey shift) or if the driver omits to downshift when it would cause the engine to bog down. Besides those exceptions, the DCT does exactly what the driver wants.
It's dry outside , beside those exceptions when it rains.

My kid was really good , Beside those exceptions when he shot an animal and bullied another child.

It's pretty easy to remove the point by explaining it away.

A manual transmission *requires* that the driver *always* be in command of the car.

It doesn't " shift up to prevent an over rev ".. and it doesn't " shift down to get in the correct gear ". if you miss a gear as a driver , or if you choose the wrong gear in a manual transmission vehicle then there are consequences.

These consequences are what makes the difference. If I miss a gear, then I missed it.

It's like taking a test in school, no one comes along and checks the correct answer box for me just because i forgot to check a box.

Any error made is mine, I accept that , whether taking the test above or if I am racing or driving on track with another driver in a session and I lose time because I was in the wrong gear , then i have to figure a way to make up the time I lost.

If the difference in skill is that the other driver shifts better than I do then that's why the other driver is superior.

CanAutM3 i think it's an interesting item to debate, whether or not why the majority of racing series that spec an automated transmissions did so or if they did so because it's * faster* or instead to limit costs.

One of the pitfalls of racing is blowing up stuff like engines and transmissions. Besides the exception of being *faster * : a DCT transmission helps manage expenses for manufacturers of street cars and also does the same in racing series like Formula 1.

Traction control does the same as DCT with respect to tire management... by limiting the amount of wheelspin, tire management becomes less a factor. The same is true of ABS although extreme driver error can still occur under braking and even ockup occurs.
In an F1 for example a driver can still blister a tire.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      10-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Auto/DCT cars have the electronics in the transmission that control the gear shifts. the driver just selects up/down. so what annoys me is the programming taking over and over-riding what I gear I want.
This is not true of all DCT/AT transmissions. Specifically, it is not true of BMW's DCT transmission used in the M2/M3/M4 and the ZF8 in the new M5.

Quote:
e.g. if I want to use a lot of engine braking, I might down shift very early. or if I want to keep a car stable during a corner, I might hold it past redline.
The transmissions I refer to above allow you to do this. More to the point, they behave exactly like the MT does in those two cases. That is, you can downshift as early as you like, and you can hold the gear at redline and it will soft-bounce on the limiter. Again, identical behavior to the MT.

Quote:
unless you have a race programmed transmission, I'm pretty sure, the car is going to disallow any commands it doesn't like.
You're wrong. But even if you were correct, did you forget that this thread is specifically about a race car? So we are indeed talking about a "race programmed transmission" here.

It's ok though. Now you have the facts and you can go on about your life in a more informed manner. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0