BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-21-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
Nice95gle
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Left trunk mounted LED stopped working

Hello everyone.

This past weekend my driver side trunk mounted LED stopped lighting up.
I checked all the fuses (I think). And I replaced all the bulbs. Although I Don't think the bulbs have anything to do with the problem. So I was reading that the X3s have a chip that controls the LED that fails. But couldn't find any concrete evidence that the 6 series also has this chip. But for now I'll assume it does.
Everything else works in the back, like the reverse light. The turn signal and brake light. It's just that little strip on the trunk doesn't light up.

My question is...is there a chip inside of that light that fails. And can I just replace the unit?
Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance everyone
Attached Images

Last edited by Nice95gle; 08-21-2023 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:35 AM   #2
General.Massacre
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 640d MSport

I had this happen to mine, actually happened to both sides.
The issue, on min anyways, was the LED bars burnt/melted on the inner mot part, i tried to fix it but there is no way, i just went and sourced a second hand good condition set. pretty easy and straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
Nice95gle
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by General.Massacre View Post
I had this happen to mine, actually happened to both sides.
The issue, on min anyways, was the LED bars burnt/melted on the inner mot part, i tried to fix it but there is no way, i just went and sourced a second hand good condition set. pretty easy and straight forward.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I actually did get an eBay replacement. I'm yet to install it because I haven't driven the car in a while. But thanks again, you confirmed my suspicion.
Appreciate 0