BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

How to scroll through phone book with steering wheel buttons

Hi,

I have a 2014 NBT system and steering wheel. The only way I can scroll through my phone book is with the idrive knob.

Is there any way to scroll through it with the steering wheel buttons like you can on the CIC or CCC systems? So far my left scroll doesn't work appears to only work for setting cruise control. And my right scroll button is to scroll through radio stations.

This is the wheel that I have:

01-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

If you press the phone button on the steering wheel then you should be able to scroll through the last numbers dialled in the phone with the scroll wheel. It will show in the HUD.

Alternative to using the idrive is press the voice command button and tell it to call the phone book entry. I've had hit and miss results with this as my phone book has all sorts of abbreviations in it for random work numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
If you press the phone button on the steering wheel then you should be able to scroll through the last numbers dialled in the phone with the scroll wheel. It will show in the HUD.

Alternative to using the idrive is press the voice command button and tell it to call the phone book entry. I've had hit and miss results with this as my phone book has all sorts of abbreviations in it for random work numbers.
thanks, you're correct that if you hit the phone button, you can scroll though the last calls. But I want to scroll through the phonebook.

I read the manual 3x already and it's clear to me that the function of scrolling the phonebook with the steering wheel buttons are no longer there.

It just seems like the wheel was designed terribly. The entire button set on left side of the wheel is solely dedicated to cruise control (M Settings and other stuff), functions that is either rarely used. Just seems like their inability to repurpose the left scroll button and removing the scroll buttons as on the old wheel is terrible concept.

Here's what the old wheels buttons looked like that I'm sure us owners of past E-series cars all know and love. Left arrows control volume, right arrows control idrive menu selection:

01-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

I used to feel the same way about the old controls on my e60 vs my new wheel. I came around to the new one eventually. Since the new cruise control includes braking and better control of acceleration I am able to drive most of long highway stretches with just the steering wheel control. The rotary control on the left side seems to werk well with the HUD to give you quick access through lots of text a lot like my old blackberry. Takes some time to get used to though. . .
Appreciate 0