BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-06-2024, 12:59 PM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Wheels

Leaky Chrome. Two bent front rims. Gonna be about $400.00 per wheel to get them stripped, straightened and re-chromed. Style 373 20". I wonder if I should repair these, or get some new wheels. How say you? I'll probably only keep the car for another year...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:04 PM   #2
LA640WS
Private
Rep
Drives: Vert 640, Merc SL63 R232

start fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Leaky Chrome. Two bent front rims. Gonna be about $400.00 per wheel to get them stripped, straightened and re-chromed. Style 373 20". I wonder if I should repair these, or get some new wheels. How say you? I'll probably only keep the car for another year...
You're in LA which is a deal breaker for chrome pitting not led to leaks as is the case with those who actually have seasons, salt, snow etc., But, chrome is chrome and the heat will be just as brutal to chrome. The wheels that were bent will never be the same again!

Look for a nice set on eBay and start fresh
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:53 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
The key word here is "bent." That can mean so many different things. If they are bent on the spoke side, then they really can't be fixed. If they are bent only on the inner barrel, then it depends on how bent. If the lip is badly deformed, or the barrel is bent in such a way that even your Aunt Edna could see it, then I would replace them. But if they just have a dip/deformation that can only be seen when the wheel is spinning, like on a tire machine, then I'd not hesitate to repair them. Just be sure to ask whoever does it how straight they got them. The industry standard, including BMW, is within 30/1,000ths of true, which is roughly the thickness of three playing cards.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      03-07-2024, 04:20 PM   #4
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
The key word here is "bent." That can mean so many different things. If they are bent on the spoke side, then they really can't be fixed. If they are bent only on the inner barrel, then it depends on how bent. If the lip is badly deformed, or the barrel is bent in such a way that even your Aunt Edna could see it, then I would replace them. But if they just have a dip/deformation that can only be seen when the wheel is spinning, like on a tire machine, then I'd not hesitate to repair them. Just be sure to ask whoever does it how straight they got them. The industry standard, including BMW, is within 30/1,000ths of true, which is roughly the thickness of three playing cards.
Yeah. Both front are bent on the spoke side. Sigh. Time for new wheels!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #5
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

The 373's are VERY prone to bending. I have destroyed no less than 3. Very frustrating. I have memorized where all the potholes and sewer lids are on my normal commutes. If its a new drive, I take the X5.

L
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      03-09-2024, 01:52 PM   #6
LA640WS
Private
Rep
Drives: Vert 640, Merc SL63 R232

Hole Mapping should be a thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
The 373's are VERY prone to bending. I have destroyed no less than 3. Very frustrating. I have memorized where all the potholes and sewer lids are on my normal commutes. If its a new drive, I take the X5.

L
There's no doubt with your statement.Socal is a %^&*! landmine of all the above. that's without snow or any real inclement weather. I grabbed a can of freeway marking orange paint and went to town one night spraying all the imperfections on the road just before home , a month later the road was patched up. i guess they didn't care for the Jackson Pollack I left behind.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50