BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Seazap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89-35is atacama yellw '15-F30

Garage List
2011 Z4 sDrive 3.0i  [8.33]
2010 135i  [9.00]
Manual trans 2012 650i clutch slips during aggressive driving in comfort +

I have a 2012 650i with a 6 speed manual. The other night I was in a remote area and did a couple mini stop light races with an Audi R8. Although I beat him every time I noticed after the 1st race my car was acting strange. I then realized I had forgotten to switch my car out of Comfort + setting. For the 2nd stop light I switched to sport+ and obviously my car was much quicker and more responsive as it should be. Afterward, I decided to do some experimenting and noticed my cars clutch was mildly slipping around 3000 rpm's when I would take off aggressively. But it only would slip when the car was in comfort +. In comfort, sport or sport + the clutch would not slip. I also noticed that in neutral while sitting still the car would not rev above 3000 rpm's in comfort + setting. But would rev to red line in any other setting. There was no burnt clutch smell and the car drives fine, but the slipping clutch made me nervous. Does anyone know if this is normal behavior for comfort + setting?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I didn't realized BMW made a manual 650i.

Factory clutch will slip from my experience of owning manual cars in the past. The clutch slip so you don't break fatal components (i.e. drive shaft, transmission). If you modded your car, then you should look into after market clutch setup. Otherwise, the slippage is normal...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I haven't noticed it in my manual 650, but then, I don't think I've ever put it in Comfort + mode. I always drive in Sport+, largely because I cant' stand the throttle mapping in either of the comfort settings. The rev-matching for the comfort settings drives me nuts, too- If I'm coasting to a speed bump, don't keep the engine wound up.

Are you sure it's clutch slippage and not the drive-by-wire throttle?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

wow... Manual 650i... it's tempting....
Guys, I think you have lots of fun
how is the feeling when you compare it to smaller manual cars?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I don't have a manual in my 650i. But I did have a 6MT in a F10 535i right before this car. I'm guessing the 6 clutch feels a lot like that one did. I think what you may be feeling is the effect of the clutch delay vavle. Apparently there is some restrictor they put in the clutch hydralic line to limit the rate at which it can be engaged. Even if you release the pedal quickly, there may be a slight delay in the clutch itself. I definitely noticed that my 535i clutch "worked" better if you drove it in a more sedate fashion. If I drove more aggressively, I'd get strange effects like you may be describing. So it sounds like normal behavior to me unless the clutch is still slipping long after you've taken your foot off the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Seazap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89-35is atacama yellw '15-F30

Garage List
2011 Z4 sDrive 3.0i  [8.33]
2010 135i  [9.00]
Thanks for all the responses. I think it may just be the clutch delay valve like ibimmer346 mentioned. I wasn't aware of a clutch delay valve. The car drives fine with no slipping so I'm hoping its that.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
wow... Manual 650i... it's tempting....
Guys, I think you have lots of fun
how is the feeling when you compare it to smaller manual cars?
It's not what I'd call a "quick" car. Fast, to be sure, but instead of zipping along, it vroooooooms, if that makes any sense. The transmission is fantastic very smooth movement, slots into gear beautifully, and I must say, a 6-3 downshift is sublime. And kind of like getting kicked in the back by a rocket powered donkey. Compared to the 6-speed MB C300 I had before (which I really liked, in a go-cart kind of way) the BMW's transmission is more refined, and while it can handle some rough handling and hard driving, you can tell it prefers smooth acceleration up to speed. The MB loved the hard braking, downshift, hard turn, drop the clutch and floor it kind of driving.

I drove my brother's 6-speed diesel Passat a few weeks ago, and the transmission felt like stirring a bucket of rocks. But, I suppose that's a bit of an unfair comparison. I have a 2015 535 as a loaner while my car's in for service (8 days so far this run, they think they'll be done tomorrow...). It's an automatic, but I don't hate it. It's better by far than the 2014 X3 I had during the first half of this service epic, and while I thought it was OK at first, the transmission is easily confused, hunts around for gears like crazy, and usually chooses wrong. It shifted better in Comfort than in Sport, but then the throttle mapping was so awful it always felt like I was towing a small office building, and you had to give it the full boot to get even moderate acceleration.

Oh yeah- hate to disappoint you, but if you want one, you will have to by a used one. They only made 40-something of them in 2012, and then stopped production. As they have done with all but some of the Ms for 2015. Which sucks, because I like the cars, but next I'll have to get a Volkswagen. Anybody got a good spoon I can borrow?
Appreciate 0