BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Jgc650i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

M Sport Edition Already in the Shop

So, I took delivery on my 650XI M Sport Edition last weekend and already in the shop today with less than 400 miles on the odometer. As of last night the oil measurement system is no longer functioning and the computer is indicating the car is due for an oil service. Service guys are a little confused by symptoms and service manager just told me they're going to "reset and recalibrate the system to see if that helps." Hopefully it will be something simple and non-recurring. It sucks there is no way to manually check the oil level. If the computer malfunctions, no way to tell if it's just a sensor issue or an actual mechanical issue, short of finding a visible puddle of oil the floor of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Jgc650i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looks like a computer glitch or an intermittent sensor failure. They couldn't get get it to reset until completely reinitializing the system, but once they did everything cleared and functioned normally. No actual mechanical or oil issues. Couldn't get the problem to reoccur. Said if it happens again they want to give me a loaner and keep it for a deeper diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
The software glitches are quite bothersome. Luckily I've only encountered a couple over the last 16 months.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgc650i View Post
Looks like a computer glitch or an intermittent sensor failure. They couldn't get get it to reset until completely reinitializing the system, but once they did everything cleared and functioned normally. No actual mechanical or oil issues. Couldn't get the problem to reoccur. Said if it happens again they want to give me a loaner and keep it for a deeper diagnosis.

You know, I just wish BMW would keep a dam old fashioned dip stick along with the electronic system. Would be a fail safe backup that has worked for over 100 years.

Anyway how do you like the digital dash?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Jgc650i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
You know, I just wish BMW would keep a dam old fashioned dip stick along with the electronic system. Would be a fail safe backup that has worked for over 100 years.

Anyway how do you like the digital dash?
Surprisingly, I like it more than I originally thought I would. When I first saw the BMW marketing material I thought they were overdoing it, and like others have stated thought it would be a little too cartoonish for my taste. I hate to admit it, but that whole thing about the red color and more pronounced speed/gear display in Sport mode creating an emotional response is actually a little bit true. The display is clear and crisp in all modes, and despite my original cynicism I think they did a good job with it.
Appreciate 0