BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

What do sport settings do with manual transmission?

I searched but couldn't find good answers.

I know it changes how aggressively it shifts and throttle response in an automatic. For a manual transmission 650i is it merely steering and suspension set ups?

Are there, "coders" that can set default settings for every time the car is turned on to avoid having to press buttons every time?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Throttle mapping, steering speed (if optioned), dampers stiffness (if optioned).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Do you have Adaptive Drive? If so it will make significant differences to the handling by altering front and rear roll bar stiffness along with damper response.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think I have active roll option. Please see the link for my car specs.

https://www.bmwdecoder.com/decode/c397896

Can I turn traction control completely off and have other options how I want them? Does having traction control completely off force a default setting of dampers/steering/throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I don't think I have active roll option. Please see the link for my car specs.

https://www.bmwdecoder.com/decode/c397896

Can I turn traction control completely off and have other options how I want them? Does having traction control completely off force a default setting of dampers/steering/throttle response?
Great link for checking your options, thanks for posting.
You're correct in assuming that you don't have the active roll bars. I have option S2VAA which includes variable damper control plus active front and rear roll bars; each bar is effectively split and joined by a central coupling which varies the rigidity from virtally fully independent for rough surfaces or ultra comfortable cruising in 'Comfort+' mode, through 'Comfort' (normal) with moderate stiffening to 'Sport' which completely stiffens the bars resulting in flat high speed cornering.
I had this option in my 2010 5 series and found it remarkably effective and had no hesitation to configuring it for my new 640i.
On the toggle switch you should have a 'Sport+' option which reduces traction control but, AFAIK, doesn't completely eliminate it - seem to remember that it retains about 10% control. In 'Sport+' the steering, throttle and shift points will all revert to sport mode.
I don't know how effective the EDC is without the active roll bars, so I can't pass comment.
Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

I guess I'll have to play with it some and see what it does.
Appreciate 0