BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #67
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Actually the 6er Gran Coupe makes perfect sense.
It is a model that can be produced off an available platform. In this case the matrix that links the 7,5,5GT and 6 it also allows the model to come to the market in a shorter time and be profitable because it will be a niche car.

Had things been different then then we would be seeing the final 7er GT - aka Concept CS , unfortunately what preceded that to cause the cancellation was out of BMW's hands. The 6er Gran Coupe is not the overall replacement for Concept CS as many are iliterating. Concept CS was the BMW flagship between BMW and Rolls-Royce Ghost.

We will see the CS arise like a phoenix in the second half of this decade but this is a competitor to the expanding 4dr Coupe segment which will encompass other segments aswell as the mid-level segment.
The people who want a sports Coupe but with extra space.

People who like the new 6er Coupe but have needs for extra passenger flexibility will be overjoyed.
      07-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #68
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
I'm sure the 6er GC will get the 4.4 litre V8, 407hp and 443 lb/ft. Easily matching CLS550's numbers. We just don't know weight yet. And it will definitely drive better.

Not to mention M6 GC!
except that the 6 GC will probably start around $5K less than the CLS AMG, and the M6 GC will be $20K higher than the AMG...

I like the BMW, but its overpriced. and BMW has the 3 series handling down but when it comes to bigger cars I wouldn't say "definitely" better handling, the CLS is a hell of a machine! that said if they were priced the same I would take the BMW, but $15K can't be ignored.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #69
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
except that the 6 GC will probably start around $5K less than the CLS AMG, and the M6 GC will be $20K higher than the AMG...
I highly doubt 640i GC will start much over $70k. True, Mercedes gives you the V8 model for that price. However, I expect they will bump the V8 model price up once the CLS 350 makes it to the lineup in the US. BMW will still be the highest priced of the three (A7 will remain lowest), but they are not going to price themselves out of the market, that's for sure. CLS AMG is, what, about $100k? I would figure the M6 GC to land right in that price range as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #70
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
the car is ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #71
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Actually the 6er Gran Coupe makes perfect sense.
It is a model that can be produced off an available platform. In this case the matrix that links the 7,5,5GT and 6 it also allows the model to come to the market in a shorter time and be profitable because it will be a niche car.

Had things been different then then we would be seeing the final 7er GT - aka Concept CS , unfortunately what preceded that to cause the cancellation was out of BMW's hands. The 6er Gran Coupe is not the overall replacement for Concept CS as many are iliterating. Concept CS was the BMW flagship between BMW and Rolls-Royce Ghost.

We will see the CS arise like a phoenix in the second half of this decade but this is a competitor to the expanding 4dr Coupe segment which will encompass other segments aswell as the mid-level segment.
The people who want a sports Coupe but with extra space.

People who like the new 6er Coupe but have needs for extra passenger flexibility will be overjoyed.
Sounds intresting, i really liked the idea of the CS, and the level you put it on, doesn't make it less so.
For the branding of BMW it's make perfect sense.
They don't have any supercar as of now, so a higher end luxury car, above the 7, is a good way to boost it's brand.
Audi is doing this with theyr rebadged Lambo.
So BMW should do the same within 5 years, that and build a M8'ish supercar.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #72
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

I like the BMW, but its overpriced. and BMW has the 3 series handling down but when it comes to bigger cars I wouldn't say "definitely" better handling, the CLS is a hell of a machine! that said if they were priced the same I would take the BMW, but $15K can't be ignored.
Here in Europe the 6er GC will probably start at around 80-90K Euros ($110-120K) or more. Sigh! I don't really know whats up with pricing policy, it really doesn't make sense to price a product 20K above your direct competitors. But let's wait and see.

I still think BMW's handle better across the range though. The 5er handles better than the E-Class, the 7er better than the S-Class, etc. I guess it's where the focus of BMW is compared to MB that seem to focus more on ride quality.

I don't know about the current CLS model, but the previous one was largely based on the E-Class which frankly made driving it a bit dissapointing given it's sporty looks. Though the previous E-Class was a hell of a good passenger car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #73
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Had things been different then then we would be seeing the final 7er GT - aka Concept CS , unfortunately what preceded that to cause the cancellation was out of BMW's hands.
By that you mean the recession Scott?

Quote:
We will see the CS arise like a phoenix in the second half of this decade...
Hopefully with a brand new design though! The CS would be like, 10 years old by then :-)

Seriously, it annoys me often how much time concepts take to materialise. 3-4 years is too much time imo. By the time they reach production they are already years old designs.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #74
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Not bad, but probably will be way overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #75
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just for correctness, the first car in this thread painted in the Individual color "Ruby Black"