BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
Kondor999
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Low mileage F13 Reliability questions - what "ages out"?

Hey, I have a 2014 F13 (M6 coupe), have owned it for over 7 years, it has 19k miles and it's cost me exactly $0 in non-scheduled maintenance (knock on wood).

My question is this:

What items in the S63 engine bay tend to "age out" rather than "wear out"? I assume that any modern car is going to be pretty reliable at under 20k miles, but I am increasingly worried about things which need to be done (or which tend to break!) regardless of mileage.

I also have an 86 Porsche (with only 27k miles) where I had to replace a lot of the rubber parts that simply aged out, even though the car is low miles.

So, any advice on what I should worry about on a low miles F13 which is 9 years old? The S63 scares the shit out of me lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have a late model 13' with 19k miles and I'm wondering the same. IMO, the sun and uv rays are really hard on plastic and rubber materials, so as long as the car has been garaged and out of direct sunlight it should be okay. I would recommend when you take your car in for oil change yearly let a knowledgeable tech look it over, perks of having a lift lol.My car has been thoroughly inspected multiple times and needs nothing. I do have a pesky sun shade and my windows have a mind of their own but nothing mechanical (knock on wood). My oil temp guage fluctuates but never out of normal range which is weird. Next time you're driving in sport plus or eco pls take a look at yours and see if it shifts after it's warmed up fully.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Kondor999
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
I have a late model 13' with 19k miles and I'm wondering the same. IMO, the sun and uv rays are really hard on plastic and rubber materials, so as long as the car has been garaged and out of direct sunlight it should be okay. I would recommend when you take your car in for oil change yearly let a knowledgeable tech look it over, perks of having a lift lol.My car has been thoroughly inspected multiple times and needs nothing. I do have a pesky sun shade and my windows have a mind of their own but nothing mechanical (knock on wood). My oil temp guage fluctuates but never out of normal range which is weird. Next time you're driving in sport plus or eco pls take a look at yours and see if it shifts after it's warmed up fully.
Mine is garaged 24/7 and I haven't noticed anything odd about the oil temp gauge. I do have an issue with the drivers side fan speed buttons - they work fine but feel "sticky". I sprayed some isopropyl alcohol in there a few times and it made them feel less sticky, but later it came back. I get the feeling something melted in there and it re-congeals.
Appreciate 1