BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser -- Getting it Flush -- Need Advice

I have a question for the folks that have the Vorsteiner rear diffuser installed on their car. I am overly picky (I will admit that) but I am not 100% happy with the way the diffuser meets the top of the bumper. There seems to be a small gap there and when I push the diffuser up and against the bumper there is 'wiggle room' between the diffuser and bumper.

I had the local dealership install the diffuser and Kyle put some two sided tape along the inside but the first day the diffuser unstuck itself from the tape. I was thinking of going with some stronger 20lb 3M tape which is sticky as hell and holds tight or possibly going with some epoxy. I rather avoid epoxy as that is going to be a bitch to take off if/when the time comes.

Can anyone else shed some light on a tip/trick they used to get the diffuser tightly against the bumper?

Btw... Yes, I did remove the plastic piece before installing the diffuser.

Here is a picture of the area I am referring to...

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
I have a question for the folks that have the Vorsteiner rear diffuser installed on their car. I am overly picky (I will admit that) but I am not 100% happy with the way the diffuser meets the top of the bumper. There seems to be a small gap there and when I push the diffuser up and against the bumper there is 'wiggle room' between the diffuser and bumper.

I had the local dealership install the diffuser and Kyle put some two sided tape along the inside but the first day the diffuser unstuck itself from the tape. I was thinking of going with some stronger 20lb 3M tape which is sticky as hell and holds tight or possibly going with some epoxy. I rather avoid epoxy as that is going to be a bitch to take off if/when the time comes.

Can anyone else shed some light on a tip/trick they used to get the diffuser tightly against the bumper?

Btw... Yes, I did remove the plastic piece before installing the diffuser.

Here is a picture of the area I am referring to...

Brian
I used 3M tape and I also used some 3M adhesive.
I let it cure over night and it is tight and flush all around. No gaps at all.
But again, it is a mold and imperfections are possible.
I'll see if I can find pics of my install
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Don't have the Vorsteiner spoiler (3D Design) but mine has areas with gaps too where you can see some of the double sided tape if you look close enough. I don't mind it too much. Maybe try the stronger double sided tape, but try to stay away from glue or silicone as much as possible. Keep in mind the stronger the bonding agent you use the more likely it will be for you to damage the paint job when removing the part. Strangely my OEM spoiler was stuck so strongly to my trunk that there was some minor damage to my trunk's paint, luckily that was covered by the Vorsteiner Spoiler.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
C's Bimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC,'08 M5,'14 958 GTS

I didn't have the gap there, Brian, but I had it in a few other places. I had my shop use their own screws and threw a few extra in on certain spots. I also ended up using Epoxy on some areas that wouldn't stay put, regardless of the tape or not. In the end, if you're as meticulous as I am, I think Epoxy is going to be your best bet.

Current Garage:
*2015 Singapore Grey F06 M6 Gran Coupe (The Beast)
*2014 Black Cayenne GTS 958 (Wife & Kids Beast)
*2008 Imola Red E60 M5 (My Other Beast)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
I used 3M tape and I also used some 3M adhesive.
I let it cure over night and it is tight and flush all around. No gaps at all.
But again, it is a mold and imperfections are possible.
I'll see if I can find pics of my install
Are you referring to the 3M Spray Adhesive? I think it's called 3M 90 Spray Adhesive in a green can.

We did put some screws on the other part of it as well. Just gotta get rid of this gap and make it tight/flush.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
Are you referring to the 3M Spray Adhesive? I think it's called 3M 90 Spray Adhesive in a green can.

We did put some screws on the other part of it as well. Just gotta get rid of this gap and make it tight/flush.

Brian
No, it is a black silicone style glue by 3M.
I did use screws but only in the factory mount locations.
The spray adhesive works well also.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

How's it going Brian?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep

I have not tackled it yet. I am heading out of town on business tomorrow and won't be back until late next week. Going to give it a go once I am back in town.

I bought some of this stuff:
3M™ Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-black-super...ml?WT.z_bynt=1

I think it will hold it in place without bonding the two pieces too aggressively (like plastic bonder would do). Hopefully it works.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0