BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #23
ALEX-2012-MSport
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i M-Sport

Drivetrain malfunction

I got this message recently on my 2012 650xi. Started when accelerating at high speed, and the indicator comes on at high speed or high rpms. I took it to the dealer and in my case, the tech said it is the result of a crack in the vacuum hose to the turbo line actuator. Sort of makes sense when I saw the sensor. Of course, based on the other posts I have seen while doing my research of this issue, I expect to see that light again soon, but I hope I don't. I guess the point is that there seem to be many, many reasons for that dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" light.

Last edited by ALEX-2012-MSport; 10-31-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
S800vxr
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

Having a heavily modded and mapped car I was getting this till I used another tuner to load up their map, then all has been well. On tuned cars I think a none perfect tune can cause issues.
In any case, save your money and buy a Carly OBD reader for your car off eBay, down load the pro Carly app and you can fault code read and clear all your own faults. I'm an IT idiot TBH and even I managed this one. ��
I've even managed to change the stop start function so it remembers the last setting so no more forgetting to press the button to switch it off upon new start ups.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #25
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
If you haven't had your vacuum hoses changed yet, they probably needed it. Dealer just changed mine in my 2014, and had to have it done on my x5m previously
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #26
skydavis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Convertible

so did they give you a loaner car? Or just on your own??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivetrainMalfunction650i View Post
My 2012 BMW 650i with 36,000 miles has been at the dealer for more than 3 weeks for the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction" (DTM). They are currently replacing the catalytic converter.

The first time we took it in they replaced the "valve seals" and a bunch of other parts but the DTM appeared on the screen again and I took it back to the dealer immediately. After 2 weeks at the dealership my service adviser (SA) told me it was ready but they would not let us pick it up since it failed the 30 mile drive test on a full tank. So here I am waiting for my car.

The first time the DTM appeared was when my husband was accelerating on an on ramp onto the freeway. The car was sluggish and the engine was shaking. He turned it off and when we restarted the car half an hour later the DTM disappeared. Reappeared again after driving on the street while accelerating. The second time it happened I made sure I brought it to my BMW dealership while the car was visibly shaking so my SA could see it.

I was thinking of trading it in for a 2015 but decided not to after reading your post.
so did they give you a loaner car? Or just on your own??
Appreciate 0