BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
major one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 750i x-drive; 16 g550

hey - thanks for the thoughtful advice! i can tell this 6er subforum is friendly, and i appreciate that. i was hoping for such helpful guidance when i posted, and i got just that! i am indeed set on ordering the 6er; im looking for a bespoke build as it is a 50th bd present to myslef. as such, i am going all out and ordering a full individual interiour with most of the options available in the xdrive line (including adaptive drive as someone suggested above). i test drove it the other day and fit just fine - even at 6'1"/190lbs. plus i have a benzo g-wagon that i use for hauling things (and people) so lack of inside space for others is no factor. i know the dep'n on these things is trouble but every car i've owned depreciates steeply; it's a fact - and im willing to accept it. so thanks again all of you. im quite chuffed with my decision. now. again. if i could only get the allocation! i'm told first week of march; if so, no probs. so we'll see ,,,,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Well since we are on the helpful side of things....

My last 5 BMWs have been from Autohaus BMW in St. Louis. Brett Midgley has taken such good care of me (started with my 2008 M5 that was a present for surviving a massive PE - so I get the 50th thing..which oh crap.. is coming up for me too!

Yes, it is a plane ride down (he will pick you up) and a 5 hour drive back - or a drive down (if trading in) and the drive back.

I just did it with my M2 (taking my 650GC down) and completed in one day (I'm in the Western burbs).

Brett's # is 314-757-9216 if you are interested.

edit: of course I assumed you were in the chicago area - maybe you are not!

Last edited by doug_999; 02-20-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
I agree with Doug999. Great car. Love the look and ride. Best car I've had this far but been there done that. Next car will be something different. I like the changes on the new Panamera. Probably the next ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #26
major one
Private First Class
Rep

thanks, doug999 - but i have a relationship with a dealer. i appreciate the help, though!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #27
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I've had the car for less than a week, but simply... yes... I'd buy it again in an instant.

That's not to say it is flawless - like any car, it has pros and cons, but you just need to decide whether they're the right pros and cons for YOU!

From my perspective, the pros:

- Beautiful... possibly the best looking BMW of the past few decades (subjective, of course!).

- Luxurious... leather, metal, and fine quality materials are in abundance, and the fit and finish is a notch above anything in this class.

- Toys... I loaded my GC with just about every option including adaptive drive (a must!), night vision, B&O, active seats, etc. So much to play with, not left wanting.

- Drive... feels incredibly stable and capable on the highway, which is where my DD spends quite a bit of time.

- Rare... because it's much more expensive that its competitors, and even THAT segment is a high-end segment, you don't see these around much at all.

There are some cons in my eyes:

- Cost... it's about $30k more expensive than a comparable 550xi. For that premium you're largely getting the looks, better handling/sportiness, rarity, and some other benefits... but it's steep nonetheless. Personally, after 3 years with the 550xi, I decided it was worth the premium and haven't regretted it.

- Depreciation... I decided to lease this time around. This car depreciates like a rock, so if your lifestyle permits/works with a lease, and you can negotiate a good one, that's the way to go.

- Space... it's limited. But if you don't regularly have passengers, or you have the right combination/size of passengers, it's fine.

- Size... it's much bigger than you'd think. The 550xi was a large car (I think the F10 was about the size of a 7-series from '01), but this car is even slightly larger. I'm finding it perfectly manageable, but you do sit low, the hood is a mile long, and the back window barely gives you rear visibility, so it's not for the faint of heart when parking in tight places.

All of that said, I love the thing! As I've said in another post, I've likened it to a private jet for the road. If you imagine someone like Gulfstream building a car... this is the type of car they'd build. It's long, sleek, very high quality, fast, and designed for getting a few lucky people from point A to B in style. But a Gulfstream isn't a jet fighter, either... so if you want a car that carves mountain roads, you'll need the F22 of cars - look to sports or supercars vs. GT cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #28
major one
Private First Class
Rep

i'm quite happy that you're so chuffed with the new gc; i really am! makes me jelly i don't have one in the garage yet! and not to pee on your parade - but have you noticed any of this apparent pervasive vibration at 1500rpm-1900rpm that is reported in both the states-side 650i x-drive gc and now with our mates in the uk with their 640d s-drive gc? i apologise as i don't wanna keep bringing up this issue in all my responses as there are dedicated threads for this issue, i realise, but i am close to ordering a new one (awaiting a march allocation this week) and i don't wanna make a $100,000 mistake; i'm sure you understand. can you tell me - have you felt this vibration many talk about? from what i gather bmw acknowledges it but doesn't hve a fix for it. and given 2018 is the final year for the 6er, i doubt they are going to do anything about it. so what say you? (and thanks for your continued discussion of the new car!! love reading it ... great stuff!!)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by major one View Post
i'm quite happy that you're so chuffed with the new gc; i really am! makes me jelly i don't have one in the garage yet! and not to pee on your parade - but have you noticed any of this apparent pervasive vibration at 1500rpm-1900rpm that is reported in both the states-side 650i x-drive gc and now with our mates in the uk with their 640d s-drive gc? i apologise as i don't wanna keep bringing up this issue in all my responses as there are dedicated threads for this issue, i realise, but i am close to ordering a new one (awaiting a march allocation this week) and i don't wanna make a $100,000 mistake; i'm sure you understand. can you tell me - have you felt this vibration many talk about? from what i gather bmw acknowledges it but doesn't hve a fix for it. and given 2018 is the final year for the 6er, i doubt they are going to do anything about it. so what say you? (and thanks for your continued discussion of the new car!! love reading it ... great stuff!!)
To be honest, I haven't even read the thread yet. If there's an issue, I don't appear to have it. The car is exceptionally smooth throughout the rev-range and at all speeds I've had it (0 - ~90mph) so far.

Personally, I've learned to take a lot of forum reports with a grain of salt. I remember back in the day when I bought my 07 335i. From the talk on the forum, you would have thought these cars blew up on first drive - between failed HPFP, turbo wastegates, etc. My 07 335i was owned from new through 2013 with 89k miles put on it, and I never had any of those common issues. BMW did finally provide an extended warranty for the HPFP, so apparently the issue was real enough, but even if it affected only 2% of the owners, that's thousands of complaints - enough noise and bad press to do something about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not to downplay what may be a very real issues, but I guess I just take stuff with a grain of salt. While I can hardly speak authoritatively (having only put a few hundred miles on the GC now), I'll say this... it certainly APPEARS that it'll be the best BMW I've owned. The drive is a big step up from the 550xi in terms of handling and smoothness of the transmission. If there's something going on with vibration, I don't feel it (and I'm usually hyper sensitive to that kind of thing).

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it. Order the car and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I'm fairly certain the my vibration issues are not part of any bigger issue, I'm sure they are a specific problem with my car that needs sorting. I wouldn't hesitate about buying one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

no vibrations on my 2015 lci 640Gc in UK...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #32
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Personally, I've learned to take a lot of forum reports with a grain of salt.
This one is real. Lots of people have reported it and there is no fix. I agree, it might not change my mind if I was set on a GC - but man, those that have it are screwed.

vs. those that had their shipping blocks left in (a lot of people had this). That's easily fixable.

Anyway, I think if I were to order or consider a GC, I would make sure to test drive it before signing and if it had the issue, I would refuse delivery - because as noted, it does not appear to be fixable.
Appreciate 0