BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 Coupe

2015 BMW 640xi Coupe Trunk lock button useless?

So my car has a lock button on the actual trunk, but it doesn't automatically close the trunk...

What's the point?

On any other car that button will automatically shut the trunk, but bmw couldn't think of this?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyip99 View Post
So my car has a lock button on the actual trunk, but it doesn't automatically close the trunk...

What's the point?

On any other car that button will automatically shut the trunk, but bmw couldn't think of this?
Weight and cost saving.
5 series has this feature
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

When I inquired, I was told that it has to do with the position of the rear view camera which did not allow for that feature, disappointing
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA
When I inquired, I was told that it has to do with the position of the rear view camera which did not allow for that feature, disappointing
That sounds like BS... Aren't they engineers? Couldn't they figure it out?
BMW's are AMAZINGLY cars, but they sometimes fail in THE most stupid things... Used to be Cup Holders, now this button... Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
That sounds like BS... Aren't they engineers? Couldn't they figure it out?
BMW's are AMAZINGLY cars, but they sometimes fail in THE most stupid things... Used to be Cup Holders, now this button... Lol.
Totally agree, I was disappointed like you....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

There are already numerous threads on this topic - trust me, don't reopen this can of worms (or should I say, can of Joe). But the dealer is correct. The motor that operates the camera roundel occupies the same space as the trunk lid pull-down mechanism (on other vehicles). And you cannot have the power close without the power pull-down.

Of course they could have engineered something different, but that's not how it works in the automotive industry. Not enough sales on the 6 to amortize the cost of a unique system. As it is there are plenty of 6 series specific components for which we pay. They had to draw the line somewhere. I am sure there are technical and packaging requirements that also contributed to the decision.

While it's never really bothered me, I kind of am looking forward to this feature on my M5. It also has the hands free closing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

I agree that the trunk should close itself on a $100k car, the doors have the soft close feature. It's just that the trunk has no place to put your hand to close, you have to touch the paint or use the roundel. Just not a good design and a flaw if you ask me, but once i get in and drive the beast, I really don't care about the trunk latch design much! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnz
There are already numerous threads on this topic - trust me, don't reopen this can of worms (or should I say, can of Joe). But the dealer is correct. The motor that operates the camera roundel occupies the same space as the trunk lid pull-down mechanism (on other vehicles). And you cannot have the power close without the power pull-down.

Of course they could have engineered something different, but that's not how it works in the automotive industry. Not enough sales on the 6 to amortize the cost of a unique system. As it is there are plenty of 6 series specific components for which we pay. They had to draw the line somewhere. I am sure there are technical and packaging requirements that also contributed to the decision.

While it's never really bothered me, I kind of am looking forward to this feature on my M5. It also has the hands free closing.
I couldn't find anything on this... :

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "not enough sales" pitch. I've seen kia's with this feature...

Either way it is still a great car!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit
I agree that the trunk should close itself on a $100k car, the doors have the soft close feature. It's just that the trunk has no place to put your hand to close, you have to touch the paint or use the roundel. Just not a good design and a flaw if you ask me, but once i get in and drive the beast, I really don't care about the trunk latch design much! Lol

And the trunk is SO heavy!...

I still love the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "not enough sales" pitch. I've seen kia's with this feature...
LOL... Do you want to see a list of features BMW has and Kia is missing
But seriously, is it that important to you? BMW is an ultimate driving machine. It's not an every option car. 6 er is already high price car. A well equipped 6 er is already at 100k+ price point. Adding more feature will increase the price even more. For sure they are not willing to build a car for dealer's lot...
BTW, did you know a 300k+ Ferrari does not have "garage door opener" or a high quality B&O sound system?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:

LOL... Do you want to see a list of features BMW has and Kia is missing
But seriously, is it that important to you? BMW is an ultimate driving machine. It's not an every option car. 6 er is already high price car. A well equipped 6 er is already at 100k+ price point. Adding more feature will increase the price even more. For sure they are not willing to build a car for dealer's lot...
BTW, did you know a 300k+ Ferrari does not have "garage door opener" or a high quality B&O sound system?
Yep, and that's why I didn't buy a Ferrari.

I will though, someday... That's my ultimate car!

For now, BMW will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:

LOL...
So for now stop complaining and enjoy your ride...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:

LOL...
So for now stop complaining and enjoy your ride...
Lol!
How do you like your M6?
Is it worth getting it?
In 2017 they are coming out with a new model 600hps! And AWD option.
When my lease is up I'll be considering the M6 and the Maserati Granturismo. :
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lol!
How do you like your M6?
Is it worth getting it?
In 2017 they are coming out with a new model 600hps! And AWD option.
When my lease is up I'll be considering the M6 and the Maserati Granturismo. :
I do love my M6 and she worth every single penny you spend for.
The next generation will not be available in US sooner than 2018 as 2019 model and hopefully AWD is just optional. I need RWD
As far as Maserati GT, the only thing I like about that car is exhaust sound. No idea about next generation but the current one is so heavy and lazy...
BTW GT is being compared to 650i and not M6
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Either way it is still a great car!
You don't have to "buy" what I'm saying. Despite my 30 years in the industry and two engineering degrees, I can only speculate BMW's reasoning. However, two facts remain: You bought the car and it does not have a power trunk lid.

I use the grab slots inside the lid to close it. It's an awkward motion, but you get used to it. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
You don't have to "buy" what I'm saying. Despite my 30 years in the industry and two engineering degrees, I can only speculate BMW's reasoning. However, two facts remain: You bought the car and it does not have a power trunk lid.

I use the grab slots inside the lid to close it. It's an awkward motion, but you get used to it. Enjoy the car.
Are you not supposed to use the spring loaded roundel to close it? If you push in the top of the roundel it folds in like when the camera pops out and then you close and let go it springs back into place. It's just annoying to me because you can only put like 3 fingers in there and it takes some force, I'm waiting for the roundel to break so I can go to BMW and ask them why they did this to us!! Lol. It really isn't a big deal but they should have just made it easier to close the damn trunk. I also have a lip spoiler and I don't want to keep grabbing it to pull down either.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #17
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post

Too late Bonz, I already saw the thread. Let's keep in mind BMW engineered this unique motorized rear camera for JUST the 6 series. No other model has this gimmick. IMO it is not worth the tradeoff of not having a power trunk - not by a long shot. I don't see any real advantage of the motorized camera - every other car on the planet gets by with a stationary camera. Over engineering at it's finest.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Are you not supposed to use the spring loaded roundel to close it? If you push in the top of the roundel it folds in like when the camera pops out and then you close and let go it springs back into place. It's just annoying to me because you can only put like 3 fingers in there and it takes some force, I'm waiting for the roundel to break so I can go to BMW and ask them why they did this to us!! Lol. It really isn't a big deal but they should have just made it easier to close the damn trunk. I also have a lip spoiler and I don't want to keep grabbing it to pull down either.
There are hand holds on the inside to pull down the lid without having to touch the paint or roundel.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #19
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Too late Bonz, I already saw the thread. Let's keep in mind BMW engineered this unique motorized rear camera for JUST the 6 series. No other model has this gimmick. IMO it is not worth the tradeoff of not having a power trunk - not by a long shot. I don't see any real advantage of the motorized camera - every other car on the planet gets by with a stationary camera. Over engineering at it's finest.
Excellent points. However, based on the look of the parts I would suggest there is commonality between the roundel motor drive and the pull-down mech. Some unique parts for sure, but not as significant as having both in the 6 series. Your second point, however is more interesting. Why not just use a fixed camera and save the space for the pull-down? Perhaps there's a packaging issue with the lifting/closing system?

Maybe I can shed some light on this when I get my M5 and take a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
acole10000
Rep
Drives: 650i xDrive

Garage List
I can't believe I just wasted 1½ minutes of my life reading about the lack of an auto-closing trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #21
yipyip99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acole10000
I can't believe I just wasted 1 minutes of my life reading about the lack of an auto-closing trunk.
Go trade in you old 6 series bruh! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #22
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
I could be wrong but I believe I saw a VW sedan in a parking lot last week and as it backed out the VW round equivalent seemed to flip open exactly like ours. Then closed as the car drove off. Maybe our 6s aren't totally unique ( in this)?
Appreciate 0