BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Boomersooner89
Rep
Drives: 2008 Escape Hybrid

Is a 6 Series Pricier to maintain than a 3 Series or other BMW's?

Looking into getting something nice, plenty of room (for me), and fun to drive, pretty open to all makes and models but based on the research I have done I keep coming back to the magnificent 6 series... I can afford the car and and pretty sure I can maintain it... (not daily driver)

But My real question to the forum is how much more expensive is a 6 series to maintain than other BMW's?

Are most parts/routine maintenence issues with 6 series a price level above say a 3 or M3? or simply an expensive BMW part?

It seems like, aside from the gas economy, you are still dealing with foreign parts and high priced dealers..... 6 doesn't sound like it is anymore prone to part failures than other high end cars.....

Any and all words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.... Thanks you in advance and I hope to be poking around here more often!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
mja bmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW x3 3.0

As a personal rule, I would never own any of these cars that was not still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I don't think it's any more expensive than a 3er post-purchase except that fuel economy sucks if you drive it hard (filled up today and calculated 11.5 mpg - and that's about my normal) and you'll have to pay for extra soap to wash off the drool from admirers - wont get that in a 3 Series.

If I keep my car beyond the 4 years of warranty, I will buy the extended warranty, which is in the $5500 to $7000 range depending on the level of coverage, additional years, etc. I'm not sure how much a 3er's costs, but I suppose that could be a little less. I think that difference (likely no more than $5000) wouldn't be much of a deal breaker to someone spending $100,000 on a car.

Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aside from the less efficient fuel economy, the only things that make the 6er more expensive to own/drive than a 3er during the BMW warranty/maintenance period is the cost of the rubber and the DMV registration fees (assuming U.S. of A).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Boomersooner89
Rep

Thanks for input fellas....

Kinda what I'm finding, once your in the luxury/performance range, they have you by the balls.... Not worried as much about fuel as I won't be driving daily or far.....

Yes... Definitely considering a solid warranty but seems to be some consensus that unless you are putting the 15k a year on the car probably not worth it, but then you are rolling the dice.....

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated gentlemen, thank you in advance.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I've had my car for 16 months and am currently at 11,000 miles. I'm using it as my daily driver - just happen to have a short daily drive.

Even with the low mileage, I'm thinking I'll live to regret passing on the extended warranty. My car hasn't had any real problems (primarily software glitches), but even the little things add up since the dealer nickel and dimes you for everything. I think something going wrong is inevitable with these cars. It may be minor, but I think I'd rather pay up front and not have to worry about it as opposed to having the constant nagging thoughts as I await the financial damage after every trip to the stealership. Gotta admit, right now it is very reassuring knowing that everything is covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Boomersooner89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I've had my car for 16 months and am currently at 11,000 miles. I'm using it as my daily driver - just happen to have a short daily drive.

Even with the low mileage, I'm thinking I'll live to regret passing on the extended warranty. My car hasn't had any real problems (primarily software glitches), but even the little things add up since the dealer nickel and dimes you for everything. I think something going wrong is inevitable with these cars. It may be minor, but I think I'd rather pay up front and not have to worry about it as opposed to having the constant nagging thoughts as I await the financial damage after every trip to the stealership. Gotta admit, right now it is very reassuring knowing that everything is covered.
Thank you, that pretty much sums up the "emotional cost" of this car... Maybe I should just get the coverage.... Decisions, Decisions.... Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja bmw
As a personal rule, I would never own any of these cars that was not still under warranty.
This goes without saying. You lose an engine or a tranny and it could cost more than bare bones new Jetta.

Plus, it does not stop there. The next week the cooling system could fail.

Let's pretend you replace the engine due to catastrophic failure. What is the probability that tranny could blow two weeks later?

Answer: the same. The probability that your tranny could blow two weeks after replacing the engine does not change---it remains the same probability as before the engine was replaced.

Thus, owning these expensive cars is not really an investment---good or bad. However, owning these cars outside of a warranty is a very bad investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

Thus, owning these expensive cars is not really an investment---good or bad. However, owning these cars outside of a warranty is a very bad investment.
That's not accurate.

Owning this car is a bad investment.

Owning this car outside of warranty is just bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

That's not accurate.

Owning this car is a bad investment.

Owning this car outside of warranty is just bad.

This beautiful machine releases endorphins without any dangerous substances. This machine raises self esteem. This machine provides deep satisfaction. Surrounding oneself with such beautiful engineering improves the the mind's ability to focus and be creative at work. This machine provides the technology to keep you safe while driving.

Even if this machine is double the cost of its functional equivalent from a low cost competitor, isn't it worth it? If so, (and it is so), how can this be deemed a bad investment?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja bmw View Post
Its like a Rule of Thumb in general for us BMW owners