BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
RespectTheGC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640xi GC

Replaced the stock reflectors with body colored ones

took about 20 mins. Taking off the left over double sided tape from the inside of the fender/bumper was the longest part.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Laguna Beach
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

nice job bud doing mine this weekend
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

A necessary mod IMO. Nice
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Where are the instructions???
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
M3lbournE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

If I am not mistaken.. they are just fastened in with double sided tape.

You need to pop the plastic rivets/screws of the wheel well housing and they you can clean up the residue from the double sided left on the inside of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
RespectTheGC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Tools needed: Socket wrench, hair dryer(optional but makes the job easier), phone or camera.

-take before pictures

-Turn wheel all the way left to work on the right reflector/all the way right to work on the left reflector.

-where the wheel well meets the bumper you'll see 3 black hex cap screws(one on low, one slightly higher, and then one around the same height as the reflector. Remove all 3 screws

-with a hair dryer heat the reflector you want to remove with the hair dryer to loosen up the glue. I did 10 seconds per spot x2(lower reflector, middle, top) be careful not to heat for too long, it will mess up your paint or bumper.

-pull the black piece in the wheel well starting from the bottom slowly, the bumper slightly overlaps it so you have to be careful when pulling

-stick your hand inside and get it behind the reflector,(I used it to support the bumper around the reflector while i pushed the reflector in with my other hand).

-reflector pops out, double sided tape gets left behind(this part is the b%tch)

-now heat up the double sided tape that is left behind in the bumper and remove it all.(you want a clean flat surface, otherwise your new reflectors will not sit flush)

-once tape is all out install your new painted reflectors

-put 3 screws back in

-take after pictures

reflectors cost anywhere from $60-$90. I don't think Im allowed to post which website I got them from but PM me if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheGC View Post
Tools needed: Socket wrench, hair dryer(optional but makes the job easier), phone or camera.

-take before pictures

-Turn wheel all the way left to work on the right reflector/all the way right to work on the left reflector.

-where the wheel well meets the bumper you'll see 3 black hex cap screws(one on low, one slightly higher, and then one around the same height as the reflector. Remove all 3 screws

-with a hair dryer heat the reflector you want to remove with the hair dryer to loosen up the glue. I did 10 seconds per spot x2(lower reflector, middle, top) be careful not to heat for too long, it will mess up your paint or bumper.

-pull the black piece in the wheel well starting from the bottom slowly, the bumper slightly overlaps it so you have to be careful when pulling

-stick your hand inside and get it behind the reflector,(I used it to support the bumper around the reflector while i pushed the reflector in with my other hand).

-now heat up the double sided tape that is left behind in the bumper and remove it all.(you want a clean flat surface, otherwise your new reflectors will not sit flush)

-put 3 screws back in

-take after pictures

reflectors cost anywhere from $60-$90. I don't think Im allowed to post which website I got them from but PM me if you have any questions.

This is a very easy mod. No heat required (and I wouldn't recommend heating myself)

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903794

Edit: I did this on my 5 so I knew what I was getting into. My 6 was new and the adhesive came off easily. An older car may be more difficult...

Last edited by Krash7172; 01-14-2014 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheGC View Post

-take before pictures

-put 3 screws back in

-take after pictures

This is a very easy mod. No heat required (and I wouldn't recommend heating myself)

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903794

Edit: I did this on my 5 so I knew what I was getting into. My 6 was new and the adhesive came off easily. An older car may be more difficult...
Nice write-up. πŸ‘πŸ™ŒπŸ‘ŒVery tempted to do it for a weekend-day project. I wonder if i could spray paint these after dismounting. Don't want to have spare parts laying around.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
RespectTheGC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nice write-up. πŸ‘πŸ™ŒπŸ‘ŒVery tempted to do it for a weekend-day project. I wonder if i could spray paint these after dismounting. Don't want to have spare parts laying around.
I sprayed the reflectors on my previous BMW. As long as you spray a clear coat over them then buff they will look great. You can get your BMW paint in a spray can from expresspaint.com
Appreciate 0