BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
pulluru
Rep
Drives: 650ix gran coupe

Runflat tires

This has probably been discussed before, but has anyone replaced the factory tires with non runflat tires on the new 6 series? The noise is one of the few things about the ride that bothers me. I need to replace the wheels with winter wheel/tire combo. But was thinking about getting nonrunflat all season tires. This would also save me from buying a 2nd set of wheels and hopefully improve ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
6sickseries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650 2012

I have Michelin tires on my 650 much better than run flats but if I ever get a flat tire I'm stock haha
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I'm still debating. I feel like non-RFTs would surely soften the ride some and decrease the noise. However, I really don't have an issue with my current Dunlops. The ride is comfortable enough for me, and I typically have music masking road noise. While I could probably survive without a spare at the present time, the security of the run flats is reassuring. Still haven't decided which route I'll be going.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I don't have any problem with the ride or noise from runflats, but I don't feel like they're as grippy as I'd like. Of course, I'm coming off a 6-speed MB C300 with summer rubber, so twice as sticky and half the weight (all numbers approximate)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
soldes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 X40I Flamenco Red

Runflats....

Faced this same quandery recently..
After extensive research, I came up with the following conclusions:
RunFlats:
-Heavier tire
-More costly to replace
-Stick less to the road
-Less of a cushion ride
-Noisier
-Tire insurance for them has gone high $$
-Main advantage: can keep going with a flat tire, until arriving at a station

Conventional tires:
-Less tire weight
-More cushion ride
-Better road stick/performance
-If you get a flat, you are S.O.L., unless you have a flat tire kit or spare
-Quiet ride (less noise)
-Less cost.

The M performance BMW's do not come with RFT's (at least thats my understanding); there must be a reason for this...
My 2013 640i is presently on a boat headed to the US of A. Base on the above, I will remove the RFT's on arrival; and replaced them with Michellin Super sport tires + rims. At the end of the lease, will re-implant the RFT's into the car; for a tire hassle free lease-end turn in.
As for what to do if I get a punched wheel? ==> will invest in a $50.00 tire sealant kit (one of those that do not do damage to the Tire sensors).
Had previous expirience with RFT's, and at $500 a tire everytime you get a nail in it; this tires no longer are an apealing cash drain proposition for me.
Hope you find this helpfull..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
pulluru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldes View Post
Faced this same quandery recently..
After extensive research, I came up with the following conclusions:
RunFlats:
-Heavier tire
-More costly to replace
-Stick less to the road
-Less of a cushion ride
-Noisier
-Tire insurance for them has gone high $$
-Main advantage: can keep going with a flat tire, until arriving at a station

Conventional tires:
-Less tire weight
-More cushion ride
-Better road stick/performance
-If you get a flat, you are S.O.L., unless you have a flat tire kit or spare
-Quiet ride (less noise)
-Less cost.

The M performance BMW's do not come with RFT's (at least thats my understanding); there must be a reason for this...
My 2013 640i is presently on a boat headed to the US of A. Base on the above, I will remove the RFT's on arrival; and replaced them with Michellin Super sport tires + rims. At the end of the lease, will re-implant the RFT's into the car; for a tire hassle free lease-end turn in.
As for what to do if I get a punched wheel? ==> will invest in a $50.00 tire sealant kit (one of those that do not do damage to the Tire sensors).
Had previous expirience with RFT's, and at $500 a tire everytime you get a nail in it; this tires no longer are an apealing cash drain proposition for me.
Hope you find this helpfull..
Thank You very much. That is extremely useful for me and probably a lot of others. By the way I got upgraded 20' style 356 wheels. Do I need to change the wheels for the non runflat tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
soldes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluru View Post
Thank You very much. That is extremely useful for me and probably a lot of others. By the way I got upgraded 20' style 356 wheels. Do I need to change the wheels for the non runflat tires?
No, you dont need to change the wheels if you are getting 20" tires; as long as the rims are 20". I'm changing rims and tires due to the fact that the stock wheels are 18", and I will be going to 19" rims and tires. Didnt see the need to spend more money for the 19" rims and runflats ($1300 option);since I'm not particularly fond of the 19" rim styles that come OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
pulluru
Rep

Quote:
No, you dont need to change the wheels if you are getting 20" tires; as long as the rims are 20". I'm changing rims and tires due to the fact that the stock wheels are 18", and I will be going to 19" rims and tires. Didnt see the need to spend more money for the 19" rims and runflats ($1300 option);since I'm not particularly fond of the 19" rim styles that come OEM.
Thanks again. Any thoughts on how good all season tires are compared to summer and winter tires. And any differences in the ride quality and noise between all season and summer tires. For 20' wheels, do they make all season tires. Again, greatly appreciate all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I am doing the same thing except its 19 to 20. Where are you buying your super sports from? Directly from dealer or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

My 640d GC is running on 20" M Performance wheels with Pirelli P Zero non run flat tires. It makes the car run more comfortable and it also corners much better! Without run flat you discover what a beautiful ride the 6 series is. The run flat tires mashes up the whole ride!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

I have tried Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin RFT's. Hated the road noise and bumpy ride for all of them but liked the peace of mind of not having to worry about a flat. Finally discovered that the Pirelli PZeros have superior road-handling and were the most quiet and comfortable for RFT's. Have been using them for all my bimmers ever since.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
pulluru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Harry View Post
My 640d GC is running on 20" M Performance wheels with Pirelli P Zero non run flat tires. It makes the car run more comfortable and it also corners much better! Without run flat you discover what a beautiful ride the 6 series is. The run flat tires mashes up the whole ride!!!!!
It's great hearing all this feedback. I suspected as much as my Cayenne GTS with non runflat tires has softer quieter feel, but I feel like the 6 has so much more potential. Unfortunately most people never get a chance to compare.
By the way what is your plan for a flat?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
soldes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I am doing the same thing except its 19 to 20. Where are you buying your super sports from? Directly from dealer or somewhere else?
My Plan is to buy them over the internet from the cheapest large volume retailer (tire rack, etc. etc.); and since I live in Florida, I will save the 7 % tax and they shipp them to my front door. Will also be ordering aftermarkets rims the same way from another outlet. Then, will take the rims and tires, and have them installed with the factory TPMs and center cap from the original wheels that came with the car. It figures that doing it this way, I'm saving about $400 with the tires & rims alone from doing it at a local tire/rim store; and probably 2 or 3 times that, from the dealership pricing.
At least that's the plan...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluru View Post
It's great hearing all this feedback. I suspected as much as my Cayenne GTS with non runflat tires has softer quieter feel, but I feel like the 6 has so much more potential. Unfortunately most people never get a chance to compare.
By the way what is your plan for a flat?
All M cars don't have run flats either. They have a mobility kit on board so I ordered one at BMW and have that in the trunk!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
pulluru
Rep

Brilliant idea. That could be the game changer.
Appreciate 0