BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #111
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
Very good points however It all really comes down to personal preference to be honest.

It'd be easier if us in America didn't have the option like in the UK to live with the decision, however- keep in mind that the next generation m6 may very well be awd , leaving this to be the very last m6 to be offered in MT, sort of our "last chance" to enjoy the way a luxury sports car should be enjoyed (in my opinion)

DCT isn't going anywhere, it can only get better. MT- like I said, this may be it. In this case- Give me the MT any day.

Congrats on your order!! What color are you going to go with? It's a painfully long process the special order process, however so worth it. I'm excited to see how the Opal white leather will pop given the frozen black exterior.
I agree with SugarSkulls, that MT will just not be available with this kind of power again. The car would definitely be faster and smoother with DCT, but fast and smooth are secondary to my own engagement and challenge. (I also tell people I'm getting the manual because of the better gas mileage! Because an M6 GC is really built for fuel economy!)

I can just about be sure when I do European Delivery in August that it might be the only 2016 M6 GC operating with a manual in Europe. Or maybe any M6 from this generation? Unless others are in European Delivery transit at that moment. Not too likely.

It seems all steampunk to be using hands and feet to control all these metals gears at once. So that makes me trendy, right? I don't think so. Because they had cars like this in Victorian England?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #112
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Just got off the phone with a rep-

I'm in the body shop!!!!
      05-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #113
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

I'm in the body shop!!!!
They need to hire some interns, where the whole job is to follow a build and take pictures of it at every stage...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #114
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:

I'm in the body shop!!!!
They need to hire some interns, where the whole job is to follow a build and take pictures of it at every stage...
That would be an AWESOME idea! I don't need 100, but ya know, one per stage would be nice .

I would LOVE to see my car in its bare frozen black shell without all its guts and glory.
      05-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #115
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #116
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
I think the 6er is awesome, but let's be honest. A fully loaded M6 is like 140k? I'd rather have an S550 Coupe. Not quite as fast, but that thing is the finest GT on the road right now.
totally different breed.
i'd take the m6 anyday.
M6 is much more driver focused than an S550 IMO.

S550 is a nice car but completely different buyer profile.

And I'm not a BMW homer but I take the M6 interior over the Audi and new S any day.

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #117
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
wow... makes you wonder.... 515+ lb-ft of torque available at 1500rpm.. OMG
Indeed. The M5/M6 already have far too much torque for a RWD car, which makes only a fraction of the power usable when the street is not perfectly dry.

More power is the one thing that the M5/M6 really do not need. They need less weight and more traction. But I guess just tweaking the DME and selling that for a few thousands more is much easier to do.
      05-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #118
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF13M6 View Post
M6 is much more driver focused than an S550 IMO.

S550 is a nice car but completely different buyer profile.

And I'm not a BMW homer but I take the M6 interior over the Audi and new S any day.
The S550 Coupe is a beautiful, classic car. No question. In 50 or 100 years, it will still be looked on as a great looking car. Not so for the M6 GC, which will not be around in 50 or 100 years -- and neither will I! If my son enjoys my M6 after I'm dead, great, but I don't picture it aging under a butler's care in a garage at a country estate, the way an S550 Coupe should.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #119
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Indeed. The M5/M6 already have far too much torque for a RWD car, which makes only a fraction of the power usable when the street is not perfectly dry.

More power is the one thing that the M5/M6 really do not need. They need less weight and more traction. But I guess just tweaking the DME and selling that for a few thousands more is much easier to do.
Is not about DME since all DME can do is to apply brake and cut the engine with higher rates something like Jag F-Type R with 500 times per second, which slows the car down.The traction issue of M5/M6 is all about the laws of physic. Also losing weight make the situation worse.
The only way a car with this much power and torque can perfectly put power down is either AWD or RWD with rear bias weight distribution. Rear or mid mounted engine is the solution.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #120
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Is not about DME since all DME can do is to apply brake and cut the engine with higher rates something like Jag F-Type R with 500 times per second, which slows the car down.
I was not referring to the electronical assistance systems (ESP, DSC etc.) but to the DME = digital engine management = the engine computer that BMW reprograms to extract more power from their biturbo engine. They already have that remap available for the limited edition models they brought out a few months ago, and now it's being relabeled to the "new" competition package.

Quote:
The traction issue of M5/M6 is all about the laws of physic. Also losing weight make the situation worse.
The only way a car with this much power and torque can perfectly put power down is either AWD or RWD with rear bias weight distribution. Rear or mid mounted engine is the solution.
Losing weight will make everything much better. Laws of physics = better cornering, better braking, and less engine power / torque to achieve the same speeds.

Mid-engine layout would be ideal, but for a 5 or 6 series...you're not serious, are you?

And rear bias weight distribution (à la Porsche 911) has its own very real drawbacks, even more so if it's a bit wet or you have too much torque in a corner. Porsche just sticks to it because it's their tradition, otherwise the Cayman layout is much better actually.
      05-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #121
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Losing weight will make everything much better. Laws of physics = better cornering, better braking, and less engine power / torque to achieve the same speeds.
With BMW's investment in CF, this is more than likely the route the next generation M6 will take.

Quote:
Mid-engine layout would be ideal, but for a 5 or 6 series...you're not serious, are you?
He's an engineer...he problem solves in the realm of possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #122
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was not referring to the electronical assistance systems (ESP, DSC etc.) but to the DME = digital engine management = the engine computer that BMW reprograms to extract more power from their biturbo engine. They already have that remap available for the limited edition models they brought out a few months ago, and now it's being relabeled to the "new" competition package.

More power? more torque? does it help better traction?
Less power/ less torque? is M5/M6 track car?

Yeah I have heard that Porsche strategy, but for GT3 not M5/M6.... they are not even the same size...
How much do you want them to shave the weight of M5/M6? 300 lb? 500? 700 lb? how? do you know about the chassis/suspension/engine design?
This is a GT car not sport car like 911...

I didn't say rear engine for M5/M6. general speaking I was talking about the laws of physic. And I also was referring to traction in straight line of a RWD car... give me an example of a RWD with front bias weight distributed with this power/torque and good traction ...give me an example of front engine RWD car can compete with rear/mid engine on track...

For cars like M5/M6 slightly rear weight distribution will help alot. Something like transaxle configuration implemented on AMG GTS to acheive 47/53 (f/r) weight distribution..

And rear bias weight distribution (à la Porsche 911) has its own very real drawbacks, even more so if it's a bit wet or you have too much torque in a corner. Porsche just sticks to it because it's their tradition, otherwise the Cayman layout is much better actually.

Again, I was talking about straight line. Also I said rear or mid. mid mounted engine is better for track? sure I agree...
I think you misunderstood my points...
My quote was on your "Indeed. The M5/M6 already have far too much torque for a RWD car, which makes only a fraction of the power usable when the street is not perfectly dry".

by street I thought you were referring to straight line

Quote:

Also DME (Digital Motor Electronics) is not just power management:

Digital Motor Electronics (DME).
The comprehensive management system for your engine: Digital Motor Electronics (DME) controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.

By managing key engine functions, Digital Motor Electronics (DME) guarantees optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. Its sensors continually all factors affecting the operation of the engine. The data is then evaluated by a microprocessor and translated into commands for the fuel injection and ignition systems.
The DME system receives up to 1,000 separate items of data input per second, including engine speed, air intake volume, air temperature and density, coolant temperature, throttle position, accelerator position and vehicle speed.
DME verifies all incoming data by comparing it with the reaction of the rest of the system. If a defective sensor delivers unrealistic data, DME replaces this with preset standard values. If a spark plug fails, DME immediately cuts fuel flow to this cylinder in order to prevent engine damage.
DME looks after the electrical power system too, with sensors measuring the charge and condition of the battery as well as current electrical power consumption. By maintaining optimum battery charge levels and thus avoiding flat batteries, it prevents damage to the battery and guarantees maximum battery life, thereby helping to ensure the engine always starts readily.
BMW introduced the world's first Digital Motor Electronics system in the BMW 732i in 1979.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...or_electronics
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #123
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Also DME (Digital Motor Electronics) is not just power management:

[...]
Yes, I perfectly know that. In fact, there is more than one DME in your car, but that is a moot point. I think I made it clear what I meant by reprogramming the DME.
      05-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #124
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
by street I thought you were referring to straight line
No. I don't know where you live but in my world streets also have corners. That's where too much torque becomes a problem.

Quote:
More power? more torque? does it help better traction?
Less power/ less torque? is M5/M6 track car?
I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Of course the M6 is not made for a race track. But it should still be usable in other situations but dry tarmac in a straight line. At least that is my opinion. Maybe yours is different and you find only straight line acceleration interesting. Then we have different priorities.

Quote:
Yeah I have heard that Porsche strategy, but for GT3 not M5/M6.... they are not even the same size...
How much do you want them to shave the weight of M5/M6? 300 lb? 500? 700 lb? how? do you know about the chassis/suspension/engine design?
This is a GT car not sport car like 911...
As much weight loss as possible. The 5 and 6 series are fat boats. Two tons is a ridiculous amount of weight for these cars. They need to lose at least 200kg, then they also don't need more power and will corner and brake much better. And consume less fuel, which is important these days.

Quote:
I didn't say rear engine for M5/M6. general speaking I was talking about the laws of physic.
I thought this thread was about the M6. You don't seem to think so. The M6 doesn't have a mid engine layout. It will never have one. So the point is moot.

Quote:
And I also was referring to traction in straight line of a RWD car... give me an example of a RWD with front bias weight distributed with this power/torque and good traction ...give me an example of front engine RWD car can compete with rear/mid engine on track...
As I said, I find straight line acceleration perfectly uninteresting. There's not much skill involved in that. BMW also claims to build cars that drive very well in corners, and the M5 is traditionally the Ringtaxi at the Nürburgring. If you want straight line acceleration there are other cars that are better at this, you don't need to spend M6 money to get that.

Quote:
For cars like M5/M6 slightly rear weight distribution will help alot. Something like transaxle configuration implemented on AMG GTS to acheive 47/53 (f/r) weight distribution..
Yeah, the Aston Martin Rapide has that layout as well. Severely restricts space in the rear though, and is more expensive to implement. So again, won't happen in the 5 or 6 series.
      05-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #125
A_
Private
Rep
Drives: M8, G70

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #126
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No. I don't know where you live but in my world streets also have corners. That's where too much torque becomes a problem.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Of course the M6 is not made for a race track. But it should still be usable in other situations but dry tarmac in a straight line. At least that is my opinion. Maybe yours is different and you find only straight line acceleration interesting. Then we have different priorities.

As much weight loss as possible. The 5 and 6 series are fat boats. Two tons is a ridiculous amount of weight for these cars. They need to lose at least 200kg, then they also don't need more power and will corner and brake much better. And consume less fuel, which is important these days.

I thought this thread was about the M6. You don't seem to think so. The M6 doesn't have a mid engine layout. It will never have one. So the point is moot.

As I said, I find straight line acceleration perfectly uninteresting. There's not much skill involved in that. BMW also claims to build cars that drive very well in corners, and the M5 is traditionally the Ringtaxi at the Nürburgring. If you want straight line acceleration there are other cars that are better at this, you don't need to spend M6 money to get that.

Yeah, the Aston Martin Rapide has that layout as well. Severely restricts space in the rear though, and is more expensive to implement. So again, won't happen in the 5 or 6 series.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #127
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Ultra baller
      05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #128
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Speed and throttle response setting, coupled with judicious flexion of your Gastrocnemius and Soleus should fix the issue
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #129
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Moving off topic now but I said this somewhere else, a transaxle would change the weight distribution from about 53/47 to 48/52 or there abouts. Moving the front axles forwards of the engine would help further, there are still some tricks BMW could use with a front engined layout. Look at a Ferrari 612 for instance. That layout with a 7 speed DCT and S63Tu would be great.

Or throw in the i8 electric motors at the front axle and in the gearbox as well as the above which I guess would make it closer to the FF than 612.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #130
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
there are still some tricks BMW could use with a front engined layout.
And with the M6 arguably being their performance flagship, you can bet there will be a whole lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #131
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The 2016s have arrived stateside!!

Love those headlights!
Oh wow! That is very NICE color. Its all the round edges, the curves of the M6 that make it look so damn good. The other M cars are sharper, chiseled, and look good in their own way but M6 is a cut above.
      05-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #132
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
Quote:
The 2016s have arrived stateside!!

Love those headlights!
Oh wow! That is very NICE color. Its all the round edges, the curves of the M6 that make it look so damn good. The other M cars are sharper, chiseled, and look good in their own way but M6 is a cut above.
I'm 100% with you, I feel this generations m6 is just perfect visually.