BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries
To the executives at Hamann (I know you guys read through these comments):

Why do you continually approve crap like this for production? Have you looked at Vorsteiner and how successful they have become simply by creating aesthetically pleasing products? It was only a few years ago that no one on these forums knew they existed. I realize that a lot of your customers are located in the middle east and Asia where more extreme designs are more acceptable among buyers. However, no one in North America would seriously consider buying these kits unless they had poor taste.

You guys should take some time and discuss the possiblity of creating a new design language with your designers.

PS --Placing vents on rocker panels looks ridiculous, get rid of it.
Lol...good review.
Hamann simply takes class out of BMW. If I were in BMW executive team I wd sue these guys for defacing such a beautiful elegant car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss
guys relax, its not THAT bad, we've seen worse.
Agreed...Hamann x6 was uglier !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Ummm, they can go back and paint the bloody bonnet anytime now.

Who do think is buying this stuff, 16 year old boys in Dubai?

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C 911 Turbo F430 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
It certainly is not everyone's cup of tea but there is also no correlation between poor taste and nationality. Globally, people do all kinds of things to express their individuality. To each their own I suppose as long as they are happy.
Sorry, but I recall a thread where it was noted that these 'body kit tuners' cater to Asian and middle eastern demographics simply because that's where most of the sales occur.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #27
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
This car just doesnt do anything for me.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Indians, Asians, middle easterners.

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Ummm, they can go back and paint the bloody bonnet anytime now.

Who do think is buying this stuff, 16 year old boys in Dubai?

and russians ...
      01-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #30
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Q: What's are a couple ways to say you ruined your BMW?

A: "You Hamanned it!"
A: "You AC Schniztered it!"
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #31
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

No... just no Hamann... Well I guess the interior is.... No... sorry... no.... nvm.....

^My train of thought...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #32
Wideboy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

i actually like it, agressive, just again, changing the badge is a little too ambitious, i would rip it off and put the BMW badge back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #33
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

The bonnet does help the look.

And the left rear tire is mounted wrong.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #34
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

^^^...what they said.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #35
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Man is that ugly. They took a beautiful car and ruined it.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #36
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
I'm sorry I think I just threw up a little.

I do sort of like the seats though.
I thought that the seats would be one of the reasons for one to throw up
      01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #37
DrShimmy
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M Coupe VO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
I realize that a lot of your customers are located in the middle east and Asia where more extreme designs are more acceptable among buyers. However, no one in North America would seriously consider buying these kits unless they had poor taste.

This is poor taste in any culture/region. We do like extreme designs that look good my friend. This is just plain ugly. They took what is essentially a very beautiful car and systematically ruined it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

What can I say...this was indeed a bummer post on Bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
sorry to say this ... however there should be a hefty fine for disfiguring a well engineered car like this BMW

As Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffith TV show used to say ...

...... shame ...... shame ...... shame

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #40
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep
Drives: F10 , R8 , F30 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
To the executives at Hamann (I know you guys read through these comments):

Why do you continually approve crap like this for production? Have you looked at Vorsteiner and how successful they have become simply by creating aesthetically pleasing products? It was only a few years ago that no one on these forums knew they existed. I realize that a lot of your customers are located in the middle east and Asia where more extreme designs are more acceptable among buyers. However, no one in North America would seriously consider buying these kits unless they had poor taste.

You guys should take some time and discuss the possiblity of creating a new design language with your designers.

PS --Placing vents on rocker panels looks ridiculous, get rid of it.

I know few of executives of Hamann in person. I'm not a fan of their design either.

But when I asked the same questions , but in more polite way. The answer was pretty simple.

60% of their sales goes to ASIA region , most to China and Taiwan.
15% goes to Arabs
15% goes to Post soviet (Russia , Ukraine and Belarus)

10% is everything else , including the USA.

Asia , arabs and russians are so into this strange design that they buy out storage fully.

So why bother to change the way they design , if there are specific group who like the way Hamann or ACS do their products (both have very strange design indeed) , why to compete with the way BMW M devision do design , it's weiser to have their own piece of pie.

They just have their own market segment , that's it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I think a lot of the negative statements here sound Chicken Little-ish to me. It's clearly in most folks' view not the most gorgeous thing going, but it's hardly as bad as "barf" and "classless." In all fairness, I feel it's a bit cheap to just poo-poo the thing and not offer something constructive along with the nay saying. So here's my constructive critique.

I think the vendor had a concept with potential, but it wasn't especially well executed, which is not to say it couldn't be well executed or presented. For example, given that the hood has that carbon fiber thing going on, applying a wrap over the remaining body to mimic the textured look of the carbon fiber would have helped. Also, introducing the idea in a color other than that brown, which isn't most folk's favorite may have helped, say dark grey, dark blue, or perhaps a medium grey. Alternatively, why not just have done the hood in aluminum to match the car's body, or paint the carbon fiber so it matches the rest of the car? Just because something is made of carbon fiber is no reason to retain that look. One uses carbon fiber in such large, external parts to achieve real functional benefits, which is great, but no need to sacrifice the overall aesthetic to show that carbon fiber was used. Regarding the holes in the hood and that central depression, it's unique; one doesn't often see that approach, and I'm neutral on it in an of itself. That said, it screams "look at me" more so than does the overall car, and that is a big no-no. Here again, presenting the thing in a dark grey or black would have mitigated that shortcoming by minimizing the prominence of the holes. As go the smaller exterior bits -- the side skirts, the front air dam/splitter (whatever it's called), the tail spoiler, and the other small parts -- are mostly fine, although the look would have been much better had the upper edge of the side skirts been flush with the doors rather than highlighting the specific outline of the doors' bottom. You'll note that the front edge of the skirts is flush with the bottom of the fender. Why that smoothness of flow down the side of the doors wasn't continued is beyond me.

In the interior, on the seats, the stitching is nifty, but the stripe with the dots down the middle is a bit kooky/playful, but again, nifty on its own. Having the two looks together on the seat juxtaposes visually discordant themes: the stitching is quite sophisticated and understated in character, yet the stripe with dots is playful and kooky, and in a good way eve. The combining of them both does justice to neither. One or the other, but not both, on the seats would have been just fine. Lastly, the detail on the headrest seems well suited to compliment the stripe thing; it carries a similar weight and boldness. To compliment the diamond stitching on the seat, however, simply stitching the shield and its internal pattern in black on the cream seat would have been just fine and just enough.

Overall, I think the result pictured represents two primary flaws: (1) too much of a good thing gone awry on the inside, and (2) incompleteness of execution on the outside. These flaws turn a car that from the manufacturer screams visual fluidity into one loaded with ocular breaks. Pretty nearly all the motion embodied in the car's original lines has come to a stop. Lesson learned: if one is going to modify a car, it's imperative to retain the car's key design themes, not fight them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
I know few of executives of Hamann in person. I'm not a fan of their design either.

But when I asked the same questions , but in more polite way. The answer was pretty simple.

60% of their sales goes to ASIA region , most to China and Taiwan.
15% goes to Arabs
15% goes to Post soviet (Russia , Ukraine and Belarus)

10% is everything else , including the USA.

Asia , arabs and russians are so into this strange design that they buy out storage fully.

So why bother to change the way they design , if there are specific group who like the way Hamann or ACS do their products (both have very strange design indeed) , why to compete with the way BMW M devision do design , it's weiser to have their own piece of pie.

They just have their own market segment , that's it.
Well, there's some merit in your point. There's no denying that the style sense of Asians differs from that of most Europeans and Americans. My critique above notwithstanding, there are bound to be folks who like the look, and I'm certainly not going to pan them or their taste for liking what they like.

As I was writing my critique, I could not help but think that Hamann really had the makings of two versions of their theme. Perhaps if they have the capital to do so, they could expand their market by offering the theme in one way for their Asian market and another for the rest of the world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #43
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I like that hood!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #44
soolman32
Private First Class