BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-24-2024, 01:19 PM   #1
msiiix
Registered
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

F13 DCT stuttering shift issues

2014 M6. Every now and again, as I’m driving in D2, efficient, and warmed up, the DCT stutters while shifting from 4th to 5th. Maybe 30% throttle and you can feel when it goes to shift, the RPMs drop about 30-60, and the next clutch (5th) never fully engages. This wasn’t a problem for a while as I could remedy by lifting off the throttle and it would then engage the next clutch smoothly. But yesterday, I was occupied merging on to a freeway didn’t feel it doing this, keeping my foot on the gas and holding that middle RPM as the engine and trans vibrated for about 5 seconds, and then threw a CEL and went into limp mode. I immediately pulled over and turned off the car. It was idling weird and the code reader was saying cylinder 4 misfire (Less than a month ago I had a misfire and replaced all plugs and coils, so I knew it wasn’t that) I cleared the codes, waited a few min and started back up and no more CEL or idling issues. Drove it around for the rest of the day no issues. I am wondering if anyone F13 or F10 has had this experience with the DCT and what the problem could be.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:48 AM   #2
15Geez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

While my experience was a bit different, I had a misfire and went into limp mode pulling off from an intersection in ECO mode. Like you, I immediately pulled over and turned the car off for ten minutes. When I started it back up, the car drove normal and no more issues were encountered. Afterwards, I did replace the spark plugs and rear diff services.

Prior to this incident, my car was parked for months without a trickle charger and I attribute the hiccup to potential low voltage of some sort. Just my hypothesis but not sure what may have caused it.
Appreciate 1
msiiix0.00
      03-25-2024, 01:01 PM   #3
msiiix
Registered
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I was looking more into other forums with limp mode codes, and a few other guys were saying that an old battery or different tire sizes can cause limp modes and misfires. Which is crazy imo, but I believe it. I’m going to get my battery tested soon and see if it’s low or old. I’ll post a reply update.
Appreciate 0