BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Merino black leather for seats - wear compared to Dakota?

I am planning to opt for merino black leather seating (and dash).

I have been getting warnings that it wears much quicker and will show it's age. I have experience only with Dakota.

Can anyone that has/had Merino leather seats tell me what to expect over the life of my car? (life being maybe 6 years / 60K KMs).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

There are actually 3 options, so pay close attention to what you are getting.

Dakota- $hitty garbage leather, dakota to me feels like what chevy thinks leather is. It is tough, slightly rough and very resiliant
Nappa- a quality leather that has been used standard in M models for a long time. A smoother more comfortable leather.
Merino - much more soft and will give a 'plush feel'. The Nappa is normally best used in a high end vehicle with a 'sport' package of sorts, like M models. Because its more durable but still very nice leather, where Merino is more for a 'luxury' feel.

The better leather you go with means you should care for it more. The highest grade leather will last a lifetime cared for, it depends on your attitude towards car care. Is your view that the car is a daily driver and you have someone clean it for you every now and then or do you have an 'enthusiast' view on car care and use high end products and care for your leather?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

also forgot to add in there that dakota and nappa are cow leather which is strong, merino is lamb skin and therefore lighter and softer, hence the actual issues people will have with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I think 95% of the world can't tell the difference between Nappa and Merino - they're both softer, more supple leathers with more natural grain. Dakota is "pebbly" and more artificial looking and feeling. The Dakota is great if it's a family car where you're transporting kids with dirty soccer gear. The Nappa/Merino is more likely to show the scuffs and is easier to rip (supple = thinner = less durable).

My Nappa has me completely spoiled because most everything you commonly see just feel cheap (Dakota included). The look and feel make a big difference in the car.

Check out my blog for more info on leather care: http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/20...attle.html?m=1
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Nice writeup Southern6er!
I have to agree on the Dakota(allthough it hurts my ego a bit because I have it in my 1er, hehe). It is pretty rough and hard, not nearly nice enough for a 6er I think..
For me its ok, its only the first time I have leather in a car so Its bot too hard too maintain, plus I have a dog that travels regularly with me (probably as dirty as kids)

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I have the Platinum Merino leather in my car. Previously had Dakota in my other BMWs. Merino is much softer and much more fragile. It has some 'waves' in the fit because the leather will stretch and won't stay flash against the cushions after some time. I guess it's all expected since the leather is thinner.

There is some minor cracking in the leather already and it's less than 1 year old. Nappa is probably a better choice because it's softer than the super-hard Dakota but should last longer than the Merino. But I want to stress that Merino is super-nice and very soft. Totally inappropriate if you are going to put non-adults in the car who won't be careful.

Last edited by ibimmer954; 03-08-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
I have the Platinum Merino leather in my car. Previously had Dakota in my other BMWs. Merino is much softer and much more fragile. It has some 'waves' in the fit because the leather will stretch and won't stay flash against the cushions after some time. I guess it's all expected since the leather is thinner.

There is some minor cracking in the leather already and it's less than 1 year old. Nappa is probably a better choice because it's softer than the super-hard Dakota but should last longer than the Merino. But I wanted to stress that Merino is super-nice and very soft. Totally inappropriate if you are going to put non-adults in the car who won't be careful.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List

There is some minor cracking in the leather already and it's less than 1 year old. Nappa is probably a better choice because it's softer than the super-hard Dakota but should last longer than the Merino. But I wanted to stress that Merino is super-nice and very soft. Totally inappropriate if you are going to put non-adults in the car who won't be careful.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
My Nappa is 2 years old now, and it still looks great. The driver's seat cushion was looking "less smooth," but nothing in the way of cracks. The dash, arm rests, passenger seat, and back seats are very nearly flawless.

A few months back my dealership did some work on my driver's seat, and they ripped the bottom cushion's Nappa in the process. They ordered a new cover, and they ripped that one when they installed it. They outsourced it to a company that specializes in car interiors for the second try, and they got it right. The stuff is obviously pretty delicate.

On a 6er, I wouldn't take the car without the Nappa, especially on the dash, console, etc. It makes all the difference in the world when it comes to the overall look and feel of the car. It could potentially be problematic for those going with the GC as a fun family car. Still, I'd take the Nappa and just pay to have the back seats re-covered if the kids messed it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
GreyCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 650i Coupe

Did Merino in my new coupe. Looks sturdy enough for good service, more concerned about how much ventilation perforations will compromise wear/tear resistance.
Enjoyed some fun cars over the years: 1966 Corvette Convertible, 240Z, E24 L6, 300CE-24, 2004 645 Ci, 550SL, A6s, 535xi, E300/Bluetec/420, Grand Cherokee Overland, 2012 650i Coupe, 12 CL550, 13 SL550, 15 650i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltans4 View Post
also forgot to add in there that dakota and nappa are cow leather which is strong, merino is lamb skin and therefore lighter and softer, hence the actual issues people will have with it.
Hey where did you hear this? I thought the same as you too but upon reading a BMW brochure at a dealer, it said merino is "full grain cow hide"?

Are we just confusing the term with Merino wool?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

BMW Merino leather is a full grain unprotected leather...thus it is smooth/soft to the touch but will require more upkeep because it doesn't have a protective coating. Watch out for passengers that have metal buttons, pins, rhinestones, and snaps or other ornaments on their clothing...because these things can scar/scratch or even cut into the leather.

See the info below for a description of Merino, Nappa, and Dakota/Nevada leather. Some modern BMWs are also using a Vernasca leather...which appears to fall somewhere between Dakota and Nappa. It has a larger "grain" and is not as smooth Nappa...but it is not a coarse as Dakota. It also appears to have a protective coating, but I don't think it's a synthetic polymer coat layered on like Dakota leather.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I have the Nappa leather peeling on the driver side seat bolster at 24K miles. Was at the dealer for service and asked them to look at it for a Warranty Repair. The SA asked seat bottom or back. I said the bolster that hugs you at lower back. They agreed to Warranty Repair and I left the car overnight since they could get the skin in the morning. Picked up car next day and got a call getting in vehicle and didn't inspect work. Driving home I looked down at bolster to see it peeling! Called SA immediately and he said the mechanic replaced it. Turns out they replaced seat bottom, that had nothing wrong. Next day I sent a pic of the bolster peeling, Service Manager denied Warranty repair. The SA said the seat bottom was separating at seam and that's why it was warranty repair. The bolster is just normal wear & tear!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

While I agree with the look and feel of the Nappa leather I’m really glad mine has the Dakota in her.
I have a 4 year old with a car seat in the rear and I see no signs of any damage. I also use a mat under the car seat that protects the seat from indentations.
I’m not sure the Nappa would stand up to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #15
Jeffro75
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC Estoril Blue

Interesting discussion, I have both, Dakota in my F15 X5 and F33 428i and Nappa in my F06. To me, the Nappa hide feels thicker and tougher. It has a smoother surface with a finer grain but does not feel soft to me. In the F06, the comfort seats are firmly bolstered and so the leather feels very tight. After 5 years and 70,000 kms, my driver seat (white) is holding up superbly with the only marks being in the side bolster where the previous owner who only had it for 5,000kms obviosly managed to drag their ar#e over the bolster with studded jeans. On the other hand, the Dakota in my other cars has loosened a bit and become a bit shiny.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #16
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro75 View Post
Interesting discussion, I have both, Dakota in my F15 X5 and F33 428i and Nappa in my F06. To me, the Nappa hide feels thicker and tougher. It has a smoother surface with a finer grain but does not feel soft to me. In the F06, the comfort seats are firmly bolstered and so the leather feels very tight. After 5 years and 70,000 kms, my driver seat (white) is holding up superbly with the only marks being in the side bolster where the previous owner who only had it for 5,000kms obviosly managed to drag their ar#e over the bolster with studded jeans. On the other hand, the Dakota in my other cars has loosened a bit and become a bit shiny.
My experience has been fairly similar with white Nappa. Just over 5 years with about 60,000 KM, it's been holding up well. The only thing is the driver's seat, as the most used one, is starting to show minor discoloration from jeans/pants, but this is of course more of an issue with the leather being white, rather than Nappa.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #17
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I'm more on the athletic side so I don't have a lot of cushion in my tushy. Dakota is like cardboard. No forgiveness. So my legs go numb after only a little while as there is compression on my sciatic nerve near my ischial tuberosity. Long story short, Dakota is a deal-breaker for me and should be for anyone that doesn't have fat in their butt.

Sensatek is more forgiving that Dakota. For me, Nappa is the minimum that I can tolerate. If they offered cloth, I would have taken it! This is something to consider beyond just the durability of the leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #18
Jeffro75
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer12 View Post
My experience has been fairly similar with white Nappa. Just over 5 years with about 60,000 KM, it's been holding up well. The only thing is the driver's seat, as the most used one, is starting to show minor discoloration from jeans/pants, but this is of course more of an issue with the leather being white, rather than Nappa.
Yeah, mine get a little grubby from time to time. In Australia, we have a product called DISSOL which is designed as a vinyl cleaner but a motor trimmer I know recommended it for my seats. It's amazing, wipe on, let sit for a couple of seconds and wipe off. It seems to lift any contaminants straight off without needing to scrub. Other products such as Maguiars leather cleaner seem to do little in comparison. It doesn't seem to be to do any damage. I have read a couple of posts where people recommend adding a ceramic spray after cleaning to add a protective layer to the surface. I haven't tried it as I haven't really needed to but would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this and how they went....
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

MY 640D HAS 79 K MILES AND A 2012 CAR..nappa vermillion rot leather,,still looks great,,although a few tiny scratches,,i also have a 330d e90 with dakota,,very durable,,but looks like shit compared to nappa,,bit its my daily and does get a little abuse,,easily cleaned though
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #20
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro75 View Post
Yeah, mine get a little grubby from time to time. In Australia, we have a product called DISSOL which is designed as a vinyl cleaner but a motor trimmer I know recommended it for my seats. It's amazing, wipe on, let sit for a couple of seconds and wipe off. It seems to lift any contaminants straight off without needing to scrub. Other products such as Maguiars leather cleaner seem to do little in comparison. It doesn't seem to be to do any damage. I have read a couple of posts where people recommend adding a ceramic spray after cleaning to add a protective layer to the surface. I haven't tried it as I haven't really needed to but would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this and how they went....
Cool, thanks for the info, I'll have to start looking for something similar. Product choices are so damn limited in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #21
Growlyr04
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 645Ci convertible

leather care in Canada

Buy Leatherique.....two part, cleaner and conditioner...its by far the best product available

Buy at Amazon
Appreciate 0