BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
johnwojo
Rep
Drives: M6

Speedometer mileage location information?

Hello all -

I am a M6 owner from New York . During the recent hurricane, my M6 got flooded up to the dash, and my insurance company totaled it out and I bought it back for a very low amount. I bought a wrecked M6 from www.copart.com that had all the wiring and electronics I needed to replace the flooded modules in my car.

My car had 61k miles. My speedometer was still good. I changed all the wiring and modules over, and assumed if I reinstalled my original speedometer the mileage would stay.

Well I fired the car up today, and it displays the donor car mileage of 22,000 miles. Now if I take it through inspection the title will be branded Not Actual Mileage. Does anyone know which module actually contains the mileage data, so I can plug it back in and retain my original mileage? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Wow you are daring for buying a flooded car. I'm guessing bmw can help set the mileage possibly. In terms of the title, it will say salvaged because the car was flooded and totaled , so regardless of the actual mileage or not, it won't mater much in terms of resale.

What about the engine, exhaust and catalytics? My new 335i was flooded and totaled and had less water as it went up to my seats but not dash, but the exhaust was flooded as was yours. My car started too but that didn't mean the engine was going to last much after water was so high. Were you able to check the drivetrain?

Last edited by m630; 01-11-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Wow. I can't imagine ever getting a Sandy-flooded car back to spec. At least not for very long. Hello, rust.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
johnwojo
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Wow you are daring for buying a flooded car. I'm guessing bmw can help set the mileage possibly. In terms of the title, it will say salvaged because the car was flooded and totaled , so regardless of the actual mileage or not, it won't mater much in terms of resale.

What about the engine, exhaust and catalytics? My new 335i was flooded and totaled and had less water as it went up to my seats but not dash, but the exhaust was flooded as was yours. My car started too but that didn't mean the engine was going to last much after water was so high. Were you able to check the drivetrain?
Hi,

I've did a few flooded cars in my past. This one wasn't that bad, water appears to not have had the dashboard but usually I replace everything to be safe. In my previous cars (corvettes, mustangs) I was always able to retain the speedometer cluster and plug it back in so the cars never had not actually mileage certification. The engine was drained and flushed before anyone attempted to start the vehicle, so it was problem free.

I had contacted BMW about where the mileage was stored and they had told me inside the module in the speedometer cluster itself, which obviously is not the case. I figured and had hoped someone on here had more knowledge. I understand the title will say 'rebuilt salvage" but down the road Im sure the next buyer would appreciate knowing the actual mileage on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0