BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
krown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6

No rear spoiler on 2015 M6 GC?

I'm about to make the jump to an M6 GC and just noticed that it doesn't come with a rear spoiler stock? Why is that? Even the M5 has one...

I really like the CF ones I've seen. I suppose those are the OEM M Performance ones?

Last edited by krown; 04-30-2015 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Rasputin8
Rep
Drives: M6 Coupe

Yeah, I don't think the GCs have spoilers as standard. Easy to install one though, plus you can choose whether you want to color match or go CF.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
mrainv23
mrainv23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe F06

It is a matter of preference. I added a carbon fiber one to mine which I think looks better with than without. I got mine from IND.

Sold-BMW 550i F10/Dinan S3/ Eisenmann Race Exhaust/ Vossen CV3s
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
krown
Private First Class
Rep

I just got a quote from RW Carbon for theirs. Are they all generally the same quality?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krown View Post
I'm about to make the jump to an M6 GC and just noticed that it doesn't come with a rear spoiler stock? Why is that? Even the M5 has one...

I really like the CF ones I've seen. I suppose those are the OEM M Performance ones?
It annoyed the hell out of me that it didn't come with one. I couldn't take it anymore so I bought the Vorsteiner spoiler. It looks amazing. Its expensive but a great spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
krown
Private First Class
Rep

Ok. I just ordered one through the dealership (I had a $500 parts credit to use up) and it's on it's way to me. I have a question though... how easy is it to install? I don't want to eff it up obviously, and they said they could do it but charge me time involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krown
Ok. I just ordered one through the dealership (I had a $500 parts credit to use up) and it's on it's way to me. I have a question though... how easy is it to install? I don't want to eff it up obviously, and they said they could do it but charge me time involved.
Don't do it yourself if you have never done it before. Get a reputable shop, not a stealership, to do it for you. If not done the right way a lot can go wrong. For example, it may not be secured properly, it may be put on crooked, it may be secured with the wrong materials which in turn will make it a pain to remove if need be. Some shops secure it with the wrong type of excessive amounts of glue which makes it impossible to remove the spoiler without damaging the car's paint, the spoiler itself, or both. I had to remove my $1,200+ Vorsteiner CF spoiler after the clear coat became damaged, which Vorsteiner replaced for free. Luckily it was installed professionally.

To answer your previous question, not all CF parts are of the same quality, not to mention look aesthetically the same. I've had nearly all brands on my car and I find Vorsteiner to have the best quality. BMW's MPerformance line has good quality but I usually don't like using their stuff on the exterior (except for my exhaust tips) because the weave is 2x2 and is not a perfect match for the 1x1 weave on the CF roof. Our interiors use the 2x2 weave though.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

There's the Vorsteiner deck lid

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
krown
Private First Class
Rep

Looks nice, but my M6 has the brake lights in the back window, so need a spoiler with no indent in the middle
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krown
Looks nice, but my M6 has the brake lights in the back window, so need a spoiler with no indent in the middle
Although the indentation follows the breaklight's lines pretty well, I wouldn't say it was designed that way exclusively for that purpose. Plenty of Vorsteiner wings have been installed on M6 GCs (only M6 with a window mounted breaklight) and they still look pretty good.

Example with Vorsteiner spoiler and diffuser and Akrapovic exhaust:
Attached Images

Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Although the indentation follows the breaklight's lines pretty well, I wouldn't say it was designed that way exclusively for that purpose. Plenty of Vorsteiner wings have been installed on M6 GCs (only M6 with a window mounted breaklight) and they still look pretty good.

Example with Vorsteiner spoiler and diffuser and Akrapovic exhaust:
My brake lights are in the back window too (M6 GC) and I am with Twitch Massacre on this. I think this spoiler looks just fine. I have seen lots of pics of coupes, gran coupes and convertibles here in the forum that have it. They all look great to me, but like most everything else on these cars - everyone has their own taste.

I have wondered about the reason for that indentation since I first saw one and have yet to figure out why it had the notch in it and did not go straight all the way across the back. Does anyone know for sure - is it aero, style or a bit of both?

Whichever it is, it seems like most of the available spoilers I've seen are more for reducing turbulence behind the car and thus drag. That would help with economy and top speed but at the expense of providing some real down force to help stabilize the car at speed or in high winds - something I would like to do (the high winds part - not a high speed driver). I'd appreciate it if anyone knows the reason for this indentation. And if anyone knows for sure, which spoilers provide the best down force - both front and rear.

Quote:
Don't do it yourself if you have never done it before. Get a reputable shop, not a stealership, to do it for you. If not done the right way a lot can go wrong. For example, it may not be secured properly, it may be put on crooked, it may be secured with the wrong materials which in turn will make it a pain to remove if need be. Some shops secure it with the wrong type of excessive amounts of glue which makes it impossible to remove the spoiler without damaging the car's paint, the spoiler itself, or both. I had to remove my $1,200+ Vorsteiner CF spoiler after the clear coat became damaged, which Vorsteiner replaced for free. Luckily it was installed professionally.
. . .
I couldn't agree more with Twitch Massacre on this part too - let a pro do it unless you have some experience or are really exceptionally good at stuff like this. The cost of having a pro do the install cannot be all that much. And even if you are pretty handy around a car my experience has been that body stuff is kind of different. It's so easy to mess up cosmetic things; way too easy. IMHO the installation cost is pretty insignificant, especially compared to what you could end up spending if something has to be corrected.

Quote:
. . . To answer your previous question, not all CF parts are of the same quality, not to mention look aesthetically the same. I've had nearly all brands on my car and I find Vorsteiner to have the best quality. BMW's MPerformance line has good quality but I usually don't like using their stuff on the exterior (except for my exhaust tips) because the weave is 2x2 and is not a perfect match for the 1x1 weave on the CF roof. Our interiors use the 2x2 weave though.
Boy am I not thrilled to hear about the weave difference. Initially I was going to get the Vorsteiner. The indentation bothered me. Thinking about wanting the most down force, it seemed like a spoiler of similar size but without the indentation would have more; probably not that much, but maybe some anyway. But it looked really good to me, not to mention so many of you all were using it and saying it was very well made and what a great fit it had. When I got my car the deal morphed into that including anything from BMW parts, so I ended up with one of their spoilers and an Akropovic exhaust. It never occurred to me that the BMW CF accessory parts would not have the same weave pattern as the roof. Oh well, if it's not what I want I guess I can paint it or (more likely) sell it and get one that has the same weave pattern as the roof does - like the Vorsteiner or similar. You'd think that by now I ought to know about relying on assumptions. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

My guess for the indented spoiler is that it follows the roof shape/flow somewhat.... But I certainly could be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The one thing I don't like about the F06/F12/F13 is that the bootlid doesn't have a point like the M4 bootlid, it sort of has a cutoff at a 45 degree angle. Because of that I like the Hamann spoiler

http://www.hamann-motorsport.com/en/...ies/f13-coupe/
http://www.hamann-motorsport.com/en/...6-grand-coupe/

NOT the rest of the kit!

There is also the Alpina wing but I haven't seen good enough photos of it to pass judgement

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-6...shots/#image-5

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/19/b...tment/#image-4

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0