BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
angelom6
Rep
Drives: new york

bms vs Dinan Stage 1

i was wondering which is the better way to go i know dinan claims more hp but burger tuning haves the fastest quarter mile times my m6 gc is stock if anyone haves some insight it would really help out
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelom6 View Post
i was wondering which is the better way to go i know dinan claims more hp but burger tuning haves the fastest quarter mile times my m6 gc is stock if anyone haves some insight it would really help out
The keyword is "claims."

DINAN claimed to bump me up 100+ hp on my 550, costed over $3k to install. Few months later, taken to the strip and the car is performing identical to stock. Gave them hell, they took it back in, "retuned it," and i don't think anything has changed.

Bought a BMS S1, within a few weeks it made all the difference. Now even in just Sport+, mashing the gas will cause the rears to spin a bit, it's worth it by a whole lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
AllCarbonEverything
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Black Sapphire X6M

I think ive read briefly somewhere that some look down on the BMS because its a "piggyback" system which apparently isnt a good thing? I seriously have no idea so itll be nice to hear from someone who has had both systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarbonEverything
I think ive read briefly somewhere that some look down on the BMS because its a "piggyback" system which apparently isnt a good thing? I seriously have no idea so itll be nice to hear from someone who has had both systems.
They are both piggyback systems, the BMS and the Dinan that is. This means that instead of being a reprogrammed ECU, it's an external dongle that connects to sensors in the car to trick the ECU into doing things such as adding boost. I have the BMS and can attest to it being worth every penny, it has allowed me to clearly outrun just about any car I've lined up against. My good friend has JB4 (more advanced version of the BMS tune also by Burger Tuning) on his M4 and he runs away from things such as 991 Turbos in a breeze. Now the reason some vilify Piggyback tunes is because the preferred was has always been reflashing the ECU, which until very recently wasn't possible in our cars. We are just starting to see what true ECU tunes like the one from AMS are going to be like with our cars which is very exciting as an alternative to piggybacks.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

I run the JB4 box (BMS) on my M6 at +4 and have never had an issue. DINAN and JB4/BMS will make around the same power. You will hear arguments from both sides about which is better -- it's same shit if you ask me. Only difference is DINAN offers "their" warranty if the tune harms the engine vs. BMW offering nothing. You also pay $3,000+ vs. $450 so pick your poison. FWIW I have never heard of the BMW/JB4 box causing any issues to anyone's car.

I am waiting to see some numbers on the AMS tune that was released a little while ago. If there is more power there vs. the JB4 I might switch over but for right now the JB4 makes a ton of power and you can adjust it as needed, data log, it will control meth, etc, etc.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
AllCarbonEverything
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Black Sapphire X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
I run the JB4 box (BMS) on my M6 at +4 and have never had an issue. DINAN and JB4/BMS will make around the same power. You will hear arguments from both sides about which is better -- it's same shit if you ask me. Only difference is DINAN offers "their" warranty if the tune harms the engine vs. BMW offering nothing. You also pay $3,000+ vs. $450 so pick your poison. FWIW I have never heard of the BMW/JB4 box causing any issues to anyone's car.

I am waiting to see some numbers on the AMS tune that was released a little while ago. If there is more power there vs. the JB4 I might switch over but for right now the JB4 makes a ton of power and you can adjust it as needed, data log, it will control meth, etc, etc.

Brian
Very good to know. I was told that with the BMS tune its really easy to "detune" for when you need to bring your car in for service, is this true with the Stage 1? I checked out BMS and it looks like they have a "quick tune" option for other engines, so im thinking he may have confused it with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarbonEverything View Post
Very good to know. I was told that with the BMS tune its really easy to "detune" for when you need to bring your car in for service, is this true with the Stage 1? I checked out BMS and it looks like they have a "quick tune" option for other engines, so im thinking he may have confused it with that.
The JB4 box (which is what BMS sells) connects to the 2 chiller boxes (piggy backs into them). You have to remove the air boxes to get to the connector on the side of the chiller box. You could disconnect the JB4 box in ~30 minutes if needed. It's a simple and straightforward install for sure.

Honestly the JB4 box has been the best bang for my buck on any mods I have purchased (and I have so many mods I don't even know if there is anything else I can do). For $450 you can't beat it.

Install doc:
http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...e1_install.pdf

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
The keyword is "claims."

DINAN claimed to bump me up 100+ hp on my 550, costed over $3k to install. Few months later, taken to the strip and the car is performing identical to stock. Gave them hell, they took it back in, "retuned it," and i don't think anything has changed.

Bought a BMS S1, within a few weeks it made all the difference. Now even in just Sport+, mashing the gas will cause the rears to spin a bit, it's worth it by a whole lot.
I also got the Dinan s1 tune and did not get the promised HP.
After how many days were you able to return it?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelom6 View Post
I purchased the Burger Tuning unit when it first became available and used it extensively on my F06 M6 with full GTHaus catless exhaust system and cold air intakes. I believe I ran +4 constantly and upped it a few when running VP fuel for driving events like Targa Trophy that I attend here in California. Car performed like a beast ! Their products do work great and being able to log to your vehicle and make adjustments yourself are nice.
Only thing I did not like was the intermittent flat spots during hard acceleration and randomly transmission shifting delays.
Kept the unit for roughly 7,000 miles or so and I installed it with 100 miles on the clock.
Changed out for the Dinantronic's stage 1.
The power gains felt just about the same as JB +2/3 except for how much smoother the vehicle performs. Best way to describe is more crisp and more responsive. No more delays or intermittent issues.
(I do believe Terry from BMS made a software update for that issue, not to sure) Anyways, upgraded to stage 2 Dinantronics and car is a absolute beast ! Much faster and performs amazing.

There are differences of what the Dinantronic is doing compared to all other "piggy back" units on the market. The connection of how the unit install tells a lot.
The Dinantronic unit is the only kit on the market that plugs directly into the factory engine control module(s) therefore being able to send information and read from every sensor on this engine.
(Keep in mind that these vehicles computers are consistently talking to eachother and changes are being made within fractions of a second.)
So, when other "piggy back' units are plugging into 1,2,3... engine sensors and then the factory engine computer has to compensate by constantly adjusting itself to the unaware change, there can be some changes that can not be as effective or consistent.

I have sold/installed many brands of the performance tuning units available for F chassis BMW's and all have pros and cons. Best is to mod within your means and don't just take answers on the forums to decide right away. Maybe see if someone in your area has a mod that you are interested in that can give you a ride along and some insight.
Hope this information helps you some. You can contact me if you ever wanted to discuss this more.
Attached Images

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 05-07-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
angelom6
Rep
Drives: new york

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
I purchased the Burger Tuning unit when it first became available and used it extensively on my F06 M6 with full GTHaus catless exhaust system and cold air intakes. I believe I ran +4 constantly and upped it a few when running VP fuel for driving events like Targa Trophy that I attend here in California. Car performed like a beast ! Their products do work great and being able to log to your vehicle and make adjustments yourself are nice.
Only thing I did not like was the intermittent flat spots during hard acceleration and randomly transmission shifting delays.
Kept the unit for roughly 7,000 miles or so and I installed it with 100 miles on the clock.
Changed out for the Dinantronic's stage 1.
The power gains felt just about the same as JB +2/3 except for how much smoother the vehicle performs. Best way to describe is more crisp and more responsive. No more delays or intermittent issues.
(I do believe Terry from BMS made a software update for that issue, not to sure) Anyways, upgraded to stage 2 Dinantronics and car is a absolute beast ! Much faster and performs amazing.

There are differences of what the Dinantronic is doing compared to all other "piggy back" units on the market. The connection of how the unit install tells a lot.
The Dinantronic unit is the only kit on the market that plugs directly into the factory engine control module(s) therefore being able to send information and read from every sensor on this engine.
(Keep in mind that these vehicles computers are consistently talking to eachother and changes are being made within fractions of a second.)
So, when other "piggy back' units are plugging into 1,2,3... engine sensors and then the factory engine computer has to compensate by constantly adjusting itself to the unaware change, there can be some changes that can not be as effective or consistent.

I have sold/installed many brands of the performance tuning units available for F chassis BMW's and all have pros and cons. Best is to mod within your means and don't just take answers on the forums to decide right away. Maybe see if someone in your area has a mod that you are interested in that can give you a ride along and some insight.
Hope this information helps you some. You can contact me if you ever wanted to discuss this more.
thanks for your input
Appreciate 0