03-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I wasn't suggesting you MUST use BP, just pointing out that's what BMW recommends. You may want to try that Chevron additive that others have endorsed. I did some research and didn't find anything negative about it. I still don't think addtives should be required, but you have nothing to lose at this point. Just follow directions so you don't over concentrate. BTW, BP is not on the quality fuel website. Shell, Chevron and Mobile are.
Thanks, I will drop it off at dealer again soon to see if it is just ignition coil.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #46
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Gasoline is gasoline. The only difference, absent malfeasnace on the owner's part, is the additives put in by the name brands. Gasoline is entirely fungible, and all of the delivery trucks fill up at the same terminal off the same pipeline from the same refineries. BP, Chevron, Shell, and Mobile do not get their gasoline from BP, Chevron, Shell, or Mobile refineries.

That said, the additives are different between brands (though what the actual effect of them is is, of course, debatable). "Off brand" stations don't necessarily have to conform to tank, maintenance, and service standards as branded stations, and there's always a chance that the owners are doing something shady, but that's largely a thing of the past. Those inspection stickers on the pumps generally carry a certain amount of weight- gas stations are easy for a jursidiction to shut down, so the risk of screwing around with the gas is very high for a station owner.

Short form- brand loyalty in gas stations makes me laugh, because they're all the same.

On the octane testing, neversummer- your BMW dealer has actual octane test engines in house? That's remarkable!
I guess they have since BMW had major recalled on N54 engine. My friend's car was one of the recalls. They said that poor quality gas and low octane in US has been causing problem with high pressure fuel injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #47
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I totally agree on the refinery/distribution point. I made the same exact point in another post. However, it is the additives that distinguish one brand from another and get the brand on the http://www.toptiergas.com list. The detergent additives can make a difference, as evidenced by the problems on this forum.

That said, I generally use BP and Mobile based on location convenience and have never had any problems with my BMWs or other vehicles.
It seems like new turbo engines are very sensitive to octane and detergent in gasoline. I never experience anything like this before since I started driving. In California, max octane at regular gas station is only 91. They used to be 92 from what I remember and one day I start seeing new stickers saying 91 for premium. I have seen 95 and 100 at race tracks, but they are double what regular pumps are charging. I am hoping that it is something else than gas at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just drop off the car at the dealer again today. The engine was rough/misfiring again from cold start this morning. I had to restart the engine but no error message on the dash this time. I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #49
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
I just drop off the car at the dealer again today. The engine was rough/misfiring again from cold start this morning. I had to restart the engine but no error message on the dash this time. I don't like it.
That sucks. Keep us updated. Hope it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
That sucks. Keep us updated. Hope it all works out for you.
Thank you, no answer yet at this point. SA said he open case with BMW NA. I hope they figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78
Thank you, no answer yet at this point. SA said he open case with BMW NA. I hope they figure this out.
Good luck. Hopefully it'll be a software issue and not a major mechanical problem...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #52
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Good luck. Hopefully it'll be a software issue and not a major mechanical problem...
Thanks southern6er22
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #53
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hope they at least gave you a nice loaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope they at least gave you a nice loaner.
My loaner looks like somebody had diarrhea in the car. It looks 10x worse in person. The lady that handed over the key kept saying that it looks dirty b/c of the light color, but it is actually clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #55
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My loaner looks like somebody had diarrhea in the car. It looks 10x worse in person. The lady that handed over the key kept saying that it looks dirty b/c of the light color, but it is actually clean.
What series and year is that thing?

I once got a 2009 or 2010(?) 3er, which required me to actually stick the key fob into the darn slot. Barbarians!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What series and year is that thing?

I once got a 2009 or 2010(?) 3er, which required me to actually stick the key fob into the darn slot. Barbarians!
It is a 328i convertible. I think 2011+ because of updated bumper with only 6700 miles. It doesn't have any option that I can see, no navigation, no adjustable thigh support, or anything that would be more than base, but it got keyless entry.

I appreciate that they offer anything at all, but the car is filthier than Ford Escape I rent during new year holiday with 30k+ miles.

SA called me 30 minutes ago saying that the gas in my tank has 8% - 10% ethernol. He didn't say anything about octane. They are waiting for BMW NA to give them instruction. At least my SA is nice enough to offer swapping out my loaner and get me a cleaner one which I decline. I hope that I can get the car back tomorrow regardless if anything was done to fix it.

This problem reminds me of a girl I dated a while ago. She is very picky about food and get cranky if she doesn't like the food. This damn car is kinda like her.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #57
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Most gas in this country contains up to 10% ethanol. Some states (like MI) are not required to even post it on the pumps at 10% or below. I have to imagine CA is the same. This shouldn't hurt the engine. The fuel system is designed for it. It even states this in the owners manual.

I would tell your SA to dig deeper. Sorry for your troubles, man. And the POS loaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #58
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Sorry to learn about the misfortune. Hope everything gets sorted out soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #59
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Bönz for the information! Yes, there is no post about ethernol content in CA, at least I have never seen 1 before.

I really love this car, I really hope they figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #60
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks andreo
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #61
BillCB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i X Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
It's easy to get a false sense of the percentage of cars with major problems when you browse these forums. Some cars certainly have issues, but probably a lot fewer than you'd guess based on people sharing their stories around here.
I completely agree. I've owned BMWs continually for over 30 years and only once did I ever have a problem that prevented me from driving the car. (A burst rad hose!)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #62
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bönz is right, ethanol is supposed to be in gas and even mandated some states up to 10%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_..._fuel_mixtures

Why would SA say anything about having ethanol in fuel, 8% - 10% since it should be there? He said that top tier gas would not mix that much ethanol in their gas, but ethanol is mandatory in some states?

I don't think it is gasoline that is the problem. I think the damn engine has issue that they need to fix period.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #63
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Those service guys are always looking for a scapegoat. This is pretty stupid as far as scapegoats go - in Alabama, every pump has a sticker saying the gas may contain up to 10% EtOH. I guess the counter argument would be that that applies to all gas, and premium should not contain that much. I don't know. Either way, I think they're trying to give you an easy answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #64
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

It cannot be ethanol.

Otherwise, all 6ers in CA would be in trouble (mine included). And, yet, we don't see a rash of these "drivetrain malfunction" issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #65
Speedy_XL
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

This is so ...rididulous. I am following this thread for couple days. Wish my 650i do not have this problem. But it just happened now. When i was backing up my car the "ding" showed up. Drivetrain malfuntion. Then i shut her off Restart its gone Dont know if its just my fuel was on low or what God!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #66
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Both times it happened to me were when backing out of parking places after the car sat there for about 20-30 min. while I was inside. I don't recall being particularly low on fuel either time. Sorry you had to join this sad group.
Appreciate 0