BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #23
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Lmao oh dear
Appreciate 1
1-2MANY46.00
      10-27-2016, 02:30 AM   #24
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't believe this is for real :/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #25
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

The X is for your eyes after you see it

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #26
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Needs an AMG 63 version
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #27
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The X is for xDrive bitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
The X is for your eyes after you see it

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

One massive reason this or any other foreign built pickup won't be coming to the U.S., the "Chicken Tax". Notice all pickups are built here and that there are big profits in them?

Quote:
The 25-percent import tariff that the Chicken Tax imposes on foreign trucks essentially makes the things all but impossible to sell one profitably in the US, which lends a distinct advantage to domestic pickups.
With a 25% tariff on this truck they would have to build it here and the volume would never justify it.
      10-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sure, because the Lincoln version of the F-150 was so successful...
That truck, the Caddy Fleetwood, etc. were duds because they weren't what they needed to be, and they weren't thought through in terms of the needs and wants of the market. Basically, domestic makers thought the luxury SUV trend could be applied directly to pickups. It can't. Not in the same way.

I won't get any farther than that for a number of reasons, except to say this: Most buy a pickup for specific capabilities. Any ultraluxury pickup must retain those capabilities to be viable.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #30
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Mercedes is building their truck on the Nissan Navara platform (i.e. what the rest of the world gets as a compact/midsize Nissan pickup instead of the outdated Frontier sold here in the US).

This comes through the Mercedes partnership with Renault/Nissan, that has also produced for example the Infiniti QX30 that's based on the Mercedes GLA.

So unless BMW gets their hands on a truck platform through some corporate partner, not very likely. I suppose they could do something based on the X5 like how Honda makes the Ridgeline out of the Pilot but I don't see BMW doing that. Then again, I didn't see why the hell they made the X6 so what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #31
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
Mercedes is building their truck on the Nissan Navara platform (i.e. what the rest of the world gets as a compact/midsize Nissan pickup instead of the outdated Frontier sold here in the US).

This comes through the Mercedes partnership with Renault/Nissan, that has also produced for example the Infiniti QX30 that's based on the Mercedes GLA.

So unless BMW gets their hands on a truck platform through some corporate partner, not very likely. I suppose they could do something based on the X5 like how Honda makes the Ridgeline out of the Pilot but I don't see BMW doing that. Then again, I didn't see why the hell they made the X6 so what do I know?
Perhaps from Toyota?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #32
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Maybe we will get a German Taco? Liverwurst wrapped in schnitzel?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #33
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe they'll make an X1 pickup - you know, for those who don't want a full size SUV or family car, 4x4 capability, true pick up capabilities, size, space, comfort or practicality...but hey it's stylish and has that sexy BMW badge
      10-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #34
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Mini had a cool student project that to my eye would have been a cool city hauler - wife wanted this thing bad !
Attached Images

10-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #35
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Mini had a cool student project that to my eye would have been a cool city hauler - wife wanted this thing bad !
I'm a fan of small cars. A BIG fan. I like Minis. A lot.

But that thing is pretty much the ugliest and impractical conversion -- real, concept, or otherwise -- I have ever seen.

#pickuphiccup
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #36
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm a fan of small cars. A BIG fan. I like Minis. A lot.

But that thing is pretty much the ugliest and impractical conversion -- real, concept, or otherwise -- I have ever seen.

#pickuphiccup
Well to each their own but I do agree re variation of the Mini - personally think BMW have trashed the original concept by bloating most of the line of spin offs - here is a pic of my wife's Mini Cooper S (ca. 2010 and still looks this good) which we bought in 2004, first release! Still looks great and to my eye pays more of an homage to the original concept than anything they have done since ! (I had the cheap black wheel arches sanded and painted body color and aded their aero kit)
Attached Images

10-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #37
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Well to each their own but I do agree re variation of the Mini - personally think BMW have trashed the original concept by bloating most of the line of spin offs - here is a pic of my wife's Mini Cooper S (ca. 2010 and still looks this good) which we bought in 2004, first release! Still looks great and to my eye pays more of an homage to the original concept than anything they have done since ! (I had the cheap black wheel arches sanded and painted body color and aded their aero kit)
I owned and mildly modified a silver/silver 2006 Cooper. Drove it from Texas to Canada and back once, with a few 'detours' along the way. 5,500 miles. In fact ... here it is on the shores of Kootenay Lake, B.C., Canada, during that trip:

So: right there with ya. They just should never be the basis for a pickup.
Appreciate 1
ciaranob747.50
      10-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
That truck, the Caddy Fleetwood, etc. were duds because they weren't what they needed to be, and they weren't thought through in terms of the needs and wants of the market. Basically, domestic makers thought the luxury SUV trend could be applied directly to pickups. It can't. Not in the same way.

I won't get any farther than that for a number of reasons, except to say this: Most buy a pickup for specific capabilities. Any ultraluxury pickup must retain those capabilities to be viable.
So the Lincoln LT, based off the most popular truck sold in the USA, wasn't successful because it wasn't a good enough pickup truck...? From what I remember of it, I do not recall that the Lincolnization of the F-150 took away any of it's truck capability (towing and hauling) for the LT at least; the Blackwood I would agree with your premise. And have you seen a Ford F-150 King Ranch (which basically took over for the LT in the market place)?

So indulge a bit more, if you please.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #39
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the Lincoln LT, based off the most popular truck sold in the USA, wasn't successful because it wasn't a good enough pickup truck...?
That was part of it. It was not well marketed, either -- particularly regarding the retention of truck-like traits -- and it was universally perceived as a simple F-150 rebadging, which is basically what it was. It didn't really even have a unique body. Plus, it was a Lincoln, which, despite its ownership by Ford, is a marque with almost no pedigree beyond passenger cars. The LT was simply perceived as a money grab by Ford during a time when building pickups and large SUVs was the most profitable thing for a domestic carmaker to do.

Quote:
From what I remember of it, I do not recall that the Lincolnization of the F-150 took away any of it's truck capability (towing and hauling) for the LT at least; the Blackwood I would agree with your premise. And have you seen a Ford F-150 King Ranch (which basically took over for the LT in the market place)?
I live in the land of King Ranch -- both the namesake and the truck -- and its existence is part of the reason I believe the ultraluxury pickup is quickly becoming a viable niche. However, despite its trappings and price, it is not an ultraluxury vehicle in the same way as, say, a Cadillac Escalade or an M-B Gelandewagen are. It's still fundamentally a Ford first, and an F-250 second.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #40
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I'm not gonna lie I would actually be somewhat interested in this market positioning. I'm obviously a tiny niche of the population, but there is something about a luxury performance pickup that kind for gets my jollies jollying. It looks awesome in matte austin yellow too hahaha.

I'm a big fan of the SVT Raptor, I just really don't particularly like the styling. I don't like fake dirt decals and I specifically don't like the giant plastic Ford grill upfront.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I'm not gonna lie I would actually be somewhat interested in this market positioning. I'm obviously a tiny niche of the population, but there is something about a luxury performance pickup that kind for gets my jollies jollying. It looks awesome in matte austin yellow too hahaha.

I'm a big fan of the SVT Raptor, I just really don't particularly like the styling. I don't like fake dirt decals and I specifically don't like the giant plastic Ford grill upfront.
I'm not talking about a pickup like the Raptor, or the Ford Lightning, etc. The market for those -- basically a fast car with a pickup body -- has been established.

I'm talking about a real pickup that can do what real pickups are usually purchased to do: haul stuff (more than its own arse). Basically, it would be at least what a Range Rover is to the SUV world: top class inside and out, but eminently capable when the outside can do a lesser SUV in.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #42
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

LOL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #43
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
LOL
Ha!

It's the Mercedes Der Weg! ('The Path' im Deutsch; 'El Camino' in Spanish)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #44
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
http://blog.dupontregistry.com/news/...ruck-revealed/

To be fair, Mercedes also has large commercial trucks and vans, but this is more a passenger vehicle...
If it comes that way, straight from the dealer, I want it. But I'm sure this is the concept version thats been modified.