BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #45
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM6 View Post
Mate your suggestion has been absolute ingenious. You honestly should be rewarded by the M power department of BMW.
last night happen to take the car out to test drive and beforehand I pulled over to check on the tire pressures allround. To my surprise all 4 tires were reading between 15-25 PSI.
I topped them all up to around 38, went above the desired speed and NO vibration whatsoever
And here we are pulling all hair follicles out, almost stripped the car down but failed to check the Tire pressure.
Glad to be of help. As a HVAC tech of over 30 yrs I have learned that the most simple solution is often the right one when trying to diagnose a problem
      10-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #46
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Wow that is amazingly low, I'm surprised that there wasn't an obvious flex in the sidewalls or noticeable wear all round if you've been driving like that for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #47
IM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

hi guys

God knows how we all overlooked the most fundamental things, at 38PSI the car drives even smoother on the English motorways which don't have the best of tarmacs. And even on H&R springs which I have been finding it too harsh, seemed ever so smooth.

However saying that, perhaps I have become too finicky, I noticed a very slight shudder at around 107mph. probably will get the wheels rebalanced.

Can fellow M6sers confirm that a slight rough feedback from the road surface is the characteristic of the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #48
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 London View Post
So when BMW fitted tyres from another brand new M6 all four were also underinflated to that magnitude ?

Do you ever check your tyre pressure monitor ?

Anyway, hope this is resolved now!!

Enjoy !
I didn't check the PSI as I thought I was in safe hands.

The other M6 must have been low, I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #49
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM6 View Post
I didn't check the PSI as I thought I was in safe hands.

The other M6 must have been low, I'm not sure.
Ok fair enough mate !

You should do the following.

Get the tyre pressure monitor up on the main screen.

Then press and hold button 3 or 4 on the central dashboard then it will save this information page to 3 or 4.

So anytime you want to monitor your tyre pressure and temps (and its good to do so, proven by your tale) then its up there straight away. One buttton and hey presto.
      10-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #50
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 London View Post
Ok fair enough mate !

You should do the following.

Get the tyre pressure monitor up on the main screen.

Then press and hold button 3 or 4 on the central dashboard then it will save this information page to 3 or 4.

So anytime you want to monitor your tyre pressure and temps (and its good to do so, proven by your tale) then its up there straight away. One buttton and hey presto.
HI

can you please explain this procedure a little more detailed please.
many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #51
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Thank goodness for that! HOWEVER I would be a little careful. Firstly you shouldn't get ANY vibration at 107 mph unless as you say it was a shit uk road surface. Also what a massive coincidence that the new BMW wheels and tyres has the same pressure differential and thirdly that the tpm wasn't going berserk after changing wheels. Also that BMW didn't use the tpm to check when changing. All beyond me but then that's not too difficult these days. Try and continue your meeting with the BMW technical guy to answer some of these questions. Above all enjoy the car. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #52
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc3153 View Post
Thank goodness for that! HOWEVER I would be a little careful. Firstly you shouldn't get ANY vibration at 107 mph unless as you say it was a shit uk road surface. Also what a massive coincidence that the new BMW wheels and tyres has the same pressure differential and thirdly that the tpm wasn't going berserk after changing wheels. Also that BMW didn't use the tpm to check when changing. All beyond me but then that's not too difficult these days. Try and continue your meeting with the BMW technical guy to answer some of these questions. Above all enjoy the car. Cheers
thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #53
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Glad you managed to get it sorted, i too had this problem. vibration starts at about 90mph and goes away at about 105.

I checked tyre pressures and this didn't seem to make a difference. car went into service today so i asked them to check it out. This is what they had to say:

BMW have produced an internal publication about this issue which is quite widely reported. Because it was an internal document i was not allowed to take it away with me to show you but the tech guy read it to me while i was there.

Essentially this is an issue with the brake discs. At high temperatures the discs develop superficial cracks these usually start around the drilled areas first and begin to grow as the life of the disc wears on.

Essentially this is a fault with the disc and the cracks develop an imbalance in the wheel at certain speeds causing vibration.

apparently they have tested the discs substantially and found there to be no adverse effect on handling, safety, performance or durability of the discs or any other components.

As a result BMW deduces this is more of a cosmetic issue! they have gone so far as to EXCLUDE disc replacement under their warranty as a result of this issue.

The report the Tech was read was about 2 pages long and contained a fair amount of technobabble and jargon but this was essentially what they thought would be causing it.

hopefully this will be of some help to anyone else who has this issue. If you want more information ask your local service dealer or drop me a message. i don't mind calling them again to get another explanation and provide more in depth information.

long story short: its a known fault, its annoying but not dangerous and BMW won't fix it for free. Even if they did, i don't know if they have since changed the disc design to stop the issue recurring.

J
Appreciate 1
M5 London331.00
      10-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #54
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsd View Post
Glad you managed to get it sorted, i too had this problem. vibration starts at about 90mph and goes away at about 105.

I checked tyre pressures and this didn't seem to make a difference. car went into service today so i asked them to check it out. This is what they had to say:

BMW have produced an internal publication about this issue which is quite widely reported. Because it was an internal document i was not allowed to take it away with me to show you but the tech guy read it to me while i was there.

Essentially this is an issue with the brake discs. At high temperatures the discs develop superficial cracks these usually start around the drilled areas first and begin to grow as the life of the disc wears on.

Essentially this is a fault with the disc and the cracks develop an imbalance in the wheel at certain speeds causing vibration.

apparently they have tested the discs substantially and found there to be no adverse effect on handling, safety, performance or durability of the discs or any other components.

As a result BMW deduces this is more of a cosmetic issue! they have gone so far as to EXCLUDE disc replacement under their warranty as a result of this issue.

The report the Tech was read was about 2 pages long and contained a fair amount of technobabble and jargon but this was essentially what they thought would be causing it.

hopefully this will be of some help to anyone else who has this issue. If you want more information ask your local service dealer or drop me a message. i don't mind calling them again to get another explanation and provide more in depth information.

long story short: its a known fault, its annoying but not dangerous and BMW won't fix it for free. Even if they did, i don't know if they have since changed the disc design to stop the issue recurring.

J
Great information ! Thanks !
      10-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #55
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

To start with get all your wheels balanced at a high-tech machine. secondly depending on your build date, their has been a recall on suspension components i.e bushes, lower arms, strut arms, etc

Steerign rack has been changed on some of these vechicles too.

I will simply put this down to very poor manufacturing by BMW.
Appreciate 0